Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Thanks! I think I'll use this oil going forward. Anyone else using it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Okay, a question for the oil gurus out there -

Until recently I was running Rotella T 10W30 Dino oil in my new 1600 SP engine w/ 30PICT1 and 009 in my 67 Westy, and the engine was running very HOT @ 220 - 240 when driving 50 - 55 MPH on 90+ degree days with high humidity here in VA. The 240 degree temp happened twice. Both times I slowed down until the oil temp came down so I could get home. Checked engine. Couldn't 't find an air leak. The timing was good, and valves were good at .006. The plugs also looked good. I recently changed the oil to VR1 10W30 and have again been driving on hot 90+ degree days but now with engine temps at 210 -215 @ 50 -55 MPH. Can the engine temp reduction be the result of the new/different type oil? The engine is a newly build 1600 SP with 2800 miles now. The oil had been changed 6 times now as part of the break in. Zinc additive was added during the initial cam break in. Rotella T 10W30 until the last oil change when I used VR1 10W30. I am a little hesitant to say it was the VR1 until I get some more miles in hot temps, but...

-Rich
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Forgot to add - all tin in place, doghouse cooler and functioning thermostat. Fan belt tight. I can see a slight difference in cooling when the engine is running at higher rpm, I.e faster fan speed. Runs hotter in stop and go traffic.

-Rich
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Okay, a question for the oil gurus out there -

Until recently I was running Rotella T 10W30 Dino oil in my new 1600 SP engine w/ 30PICT1 and 009 in my 67 Westy, and the engine was running very HOT @ 220 - 240 when driving 50 - 55 MPH on 90+ degree days with high humidity here in VA. The 240 degree temp happened twice. Both times I slowed down until the oil temp came down so I could get home. Checked engine. Couldn't 't find an air leak. The timing was good, and valves were good at .006. The plugs also looked good. I recently changed the oil to VR1 10W30 and have again been driving on hot 90+ degree days but now with engine temps at 210 -215 @ 50 -55 MPH. Can the engine temp reduction be the result of the new/different type oil? The engine is a newly build 1600 SP with 2800 miles now. The oil had been changed 6 times now as part of the break in. Zinc additive was added during the initial cam break in. Rotella T 10W30 until the last oil change when I used VR1 10W30. I am a little hesitant to say it was the VR1 until I get some more miles in hot temps, but...

-Rich

Do you have an oil pressure gauge on your rig? If so was there a change in the oil pressure from one oil to another?
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wild things,

Good question, but no I don't. However, after arriving home from drives when using the Rotella T I would notice a several drops of oil that would form on the ground under the oil breather tube. It would also happen when letting the engine sit running for longer than a few minutes. Neither happiness now with the VR 1.

-Rich
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
Neither happiness now with the VR 1.

-Rich

So the VR-1 brings sorrow? Wink
robin.richard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I assume no oil dripping out of the breather tube is a good thing.

I noticed the Rotella T 10W30 oil seemed much thicker than the VR1 10W30 oil. Could this cause higher pressure and higher temps?

-Rich
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

robin.richard wrote:
I assume no oil dripping out of the breather tube is a good thing.

I noticed the Rotella T 10W30 oil seemed much thicker than the VR1 10W30 oil. Could this cause higher pressure and higher temps?

-Rich

Yes, that could be it, even though they are the same "weight" they are different oils so the Rotella may have caused higher pressure and therefore higher temp.

I've never seen a huge difference in temp or pressure by switching brands of the same weight oil. VR1 is probably "slicker"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Another member posted the same results after he and his room mate both changed oil in their Buses and noticed 15-20* higher oil temps with Rotella T. They both switched to VR-1 and the oil temps dropped back to their normal levels.

It is not the ZDDP that is different. It is all the other anti-foaming agents, detergent levels, and many other elements that causes the problem. Diesel engines run at much lower RPM than a gas engine. Many Diesel engines only run 1500-1800 RPM at highway speeds. This is where the difference lies and why the additive are different. VR-1 is engineered for high RPM engines with much different amounts of detergents other additives.
Hummer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Well, sure as hell don't use Castrol 20W-50.

Was running it on a 5 hour drive home to Dayton, OH from Kentucky. Got to the top of the Ohio River Valley which is a pretty big hill and got an oil light. Pulled over instantly. There was still plenty of oil in it, but my fresh oil change had turned into a pitch black liquid that had the consistency of water. In fact, it was kind of hard to read the dipstick because the oil wasn't thick enough to stick to it. Let it sit and cool down for a bit and limped her home, but won't do that again.

After that experience, I'm a little leery of the thinner oils even though they seem to be recommended. That was my first experience with the Castrol Oil. Had run VR1 20W-50 before that, but read something about the Aussies running Castrol. Guess that was old info.

If I go the VR1 route, the 10W-30 is fine? Just worried about the oil breaking down again.

Full disclosure: My wife had loaded the sh*t out of the bus with camping gear. Way more than we needed. I call her a hermit crab every time we travel because she attempts to carry everything she owns with her. Point is, the bus was working hard.

Last edited by Hummer on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Yeah a loaded bus going up hill in summer is gonna put any oil to the test, but I've heard bad things about Castrol in general so I've stayed away from it, sounds like it got too hot and thinned out.
PedalWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I have been using VR1 10/30 in my single cab (and Oval bug) for over 2 years since I built it, (2027cc) and I load it heavy with camping and swap meet gear still running the reduction gears and have driven 8 hours each way from so cal to Santa Cruz twice, and to Las Vegas once 4 1/2 each way, and to work and back 1 hour each way with no issues, Oil pressure fine, you can use the VR1 10/40 also in warm weather, it is a great oil.

I just found out it is no longer Ca legal and I can not get it anymore I am really bummed about that, not sure yet what I am going to switch to yet....

Hummer wrote:

Was running it on a 5 hour drive home to Dayton, OH from Kentucky. Got to the top of the Ohio River Valley which is a pretty big hill and got an oil light. Pulled over instantly. There was still plenty of oil in it, but my fresh oil change had turned into a pitch black liquid that had the consistency of water. In fact, it was kind of hard to read the dipstick because the oil wasn't thick enough to stick to it. Let it sit and cool down for a bit and limped her home, but won't do that again.

After that experience, I'm a little leery of the thinner oils even though they seem to be recommended. That was my first experience with the Castrol Oil. Had run VR1 20W-50 before that, but read something about the Aussies running Castrol. Guess that was old info.

If I go the VR1 route, the 10W-30 is fine? Just worried about the oil breaking down again.

Full disclosure: My wife had loaded the sh*t out of the bus with camping gear. Way more than we needed. I call her a hermit crab every time we travel because she attempts to carry everything she owns with her. Point is, the bus was working hard.

www.pedalwerks.com
@pedalwerksdotcom
909-289-9655
12' Golf 2.5
07' Rabbit 2.5
59' Single Cab
57' Oval hard top
55' Oval hardtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Hi. PedalWorks, recheck your source as VR1 should be back on Napa's shelves after the bottling language had to change.
PedalWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Hi. PedalWerks, recheck your source as VR1 should be back on Napa's shelves after the bottling language had to change.

Awesome Thanks, I have been using amazon, Napa web site shows in stock my local store, gonna buy em out just in case........

Now if I could just find some Mineral Spirits...........

www.pedalwerks.com
@pedalwerksdotcom
909-289-9655
12' Golf 2.5
07' Rabbit 2.5
59' Single Cab
57' Oval hard top
55' Oval hardtop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Hummer wrote:

Well, I don't use Castrol GTX oil either. Castrol USA even says not to use in older flat tappet engines.
But, I believe oils are formulated to meet certain gov't restrictions and the USA is a huge market for that. I am not sure if the rest of the world gets treated differently with regards to the additive package.
Now viscosity ratings for a certain engine is a different picture. If you can not maintain the car factory specs for oil pressure, or the rule of thumb of 10psi per 1000 rpm, then why stick to a certain viscosity because someone says so here. It is not complex when you look at the engine's needs, in my opinion.
Hope this helps, Bill.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

PedalWerks wrote:
rockerarm wrote:
Hi. PedalWerks, recheck your source as VR1 should be back on Napa's shelves after the bottling language had to change.

Awesome Thanks, I have been using amazon, Napa web site shows in stock my local store, gonna buy em out just in case........

Now if I could just find some Mineral Spirits...........

I just saw VR1 at Oreilly, but only the 20-50
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

O'Reilley's only stocks 20W-50 on the shelf because that is what most V8 hot rodders use. They warehouse other weights and you can get a full case the next day. Same thing with NAPA. It may not be on the shelf but can be ordered.

Valvoline VR-1 racing oil comes in a case of 6. Available in both dino and synthetic.
PedalWerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, Napa is still stocking bought all 26 quarts of 10/30 they had, and they had all the other weights also.

just got freaked out as all my online sources would not ship to California all of a sudden.

$6.99 each at Napa only $5.69 each Amazon.

www.pedalwerks.com
@pedalwerksdotcom
909-289-9655
12' Golf 2.5
07' Rabbit 2.5
59' Single Cab
57' Oval hard top
55' Oval hardtop
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So has current wisdom changed.....built street car...Brad Penn or Valvoline?
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

The only thing that prevails here is rumor,ignorance and superstition. Knowledge would be a good start, here's a good primer

www.lubesngreases.com
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 209, 210, 211 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 210 of 235

Jump to: