Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 210, 211, 212 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Another respected industry info source is:

http://www.noria.com/
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
So has current wisdom changed.....built street car...Brad Penn or Valvoline?

Hasn't changed
I have seen NO problems whatsoever traced to using VR1, or Brad Penn, or Joe Gibbs oil in classic engines, but I have seen several reports that VR1 makes more power. I am sure that pisses the other companies off Razz
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:
Another respected industry info source is:

http://www.noria.com/

That is another great resource thanks for sharing, website easy to navigate
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I see people on here who swear by Valvoline VR1 20w50 and others who say it too thick and will cause overheating problems etc. and one should be using their 10w30 or single grade oil instead. My question is this, and I am not trying to be a smart a__. Does anyone know of any actual case where using Valvoline VR1 20w50 actually harmed a stock VW engine? And please no "my friend knew a guy whose cousin ----" ! Thanks
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

BillingsDave wrote:
I see people on here who swear by Valvoline VR1 20w50 and others who say it too thick and will cause overheating problems etc. and one should be using their 10w30 or single grade oil instead. My question is this, and I am not trying to be a smart a__. Does anyone know of any actual case where using Valvoline VR1 20w50 actually harmed a stock VW engine? And please no "my friend knew a guy whose cousin ----" ! Thanks

20W-50 seems to work ok with dual relief cases or type 4 cases. Where the problems can arise is in type 1 single relief cases with small oil passages. The thick oil can cause high oil pressure on a newer engine with tight bearing tolerances. Thus, the high oil pressure can bypass the oil cooler and cause the engine to run hotter.

I experienced this with 10w-40 oil in a single relief 1969 type 1 case. The engine only had 5k on it since rebuild. I lowered to 10W-30 and saw a 10* oil temperature decrease.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
BillingsDave wrote:

20W-50 seems to work ok with dual relief cases or type 4 cases. Where the problems can arise is in type 1 single relief cases with small oil passages. The thick oil can cause high oil pressure on a newer engine with tight bearing tolerances. Thus, the high oil pressure can bypass the oil cooler and cause the engine to run hotter.

I experienced this with 10w-40 oil in a single relief 1969 type 1 case. The engine only had 5k on it since rebuild. I lowered to 10W-30 and saw a 10* oil temperature decrease.

"bypass the oil cooler" You sure about that... ?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Yes.

This system is designed such that high pressure is interpreted as cold oil that should not be cooled. The oil control valve does this. If you make the pressure high by other means, the engine treats it the same way as cold oil.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=280293

Max
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies so far and I'm looking forward to reading more. I did read the entire thread with the diagrams etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like all the tests were done using 10w30 and the problems began because of high pressure when useing a 30mm oil pump. I would have liked to have seen the results using a heavier weight oil and correct size pump, but of course the tests were done back in 1979. So if running 20w50 here in Missouri with temps in the upper 90's does not result in high oil temps is there any reason to change?
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

None that I can think of.

Now if something in your usual driving changes (like going on a trip with sustained freeway speeds, adding a roof rack, etc) you should keep a close eye on temps.

But yeah, if it's working ... it's working.

Max
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Max Welton wrote:
None that I can think of.

Now if something in your usual driving changes (like going on a trip with sustained freeway speeds, adding a roof rack, etc) you should keep a close eye on temps.

But yeah, if it's working ... it's working.

Max

Ok thanks. Actually we are getting ready to take a 2000 mile road trip in the middle of September through Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska, and back through Missouri. We will be using non-Interstate highways. I'm think it might be better to just change to Valvoline VR1 10-30.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So vr-1 and brad Penn are the only non-synthetic oils that can be used in a stock engine without doing any damage?
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

BillingsDave wrote:
So if running 20w50 here in Missouri with temps in the upper 90's does not result in high oil temps is there any reason to change?

Hi. I'm sure you realize this but the primary use of the motor oil is its need to lubricate the many moving parts.
What is unique is the vw engine's oil cooler circuit which you have identified.
The oil viscosity is chosen to meet the engines need for a specific oil pressure for protection.
VW has made it clear in the Without Guesswork what they expect the lubrication system to produce for oil pressure. Its test was at 160 degrees, 30wt oil, and 2500 rpm, the minimum oil pressure is 28 psi and the spec for new components is 42 psi.
Many respected folks here have suggested a rule of thumb of 10 psi per 1000 rpm's.
Hope this helps, Bill.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
So vr-1 and brad Penn are the only non-synthetic oils that can be used in a stock engine without doing any damage?

For a "stock engine" as you stated there are plenty of oils available.
My favorite, for many reasons, are the diesel oils. For the past 10-15 years I have used the diesel spec, which is dual rated, in 30 wt, 40 wt, 10w-30, and 15w-40.
For those shunned by this, Boron is an additive used as an anti-wear additive when ZDDP has been reduced. Chevron is a big endorser of this additive use.
I believe many of the Pennzoil oils are good. Quaker State "Defy" is respected here by some. Many of the High Mileage oils should be good.
Bill
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I run my 1600sp mostly in summer. What do yo suggest for 40 weight?
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

They are both good choices but since the news about ZDDP and flat tappet cams broke (10 years ago?) other manufacturers have stepped up with "high zinc" oils suitable for classic cars. Amsoil, Royal Purple, Lucas, etc. etc.

For "available" oils from your local store, VR1 is a good bet. So is Castrol Syntec 5w-50 (synthetic, obviously).

In general, oils sold for passenger cars with a 50W rating are a lot more likely to contain high levels of zinc than other weights. This is because the SAE specifications no longer allow high zinc in 40W and below. And racing oils without SAE ratings may or may not contain the detergents necessary for normal use, so tread cautiously with "race" oils even if they advertise high zinc. Some race oils are formulated to be changed after each day's racing.
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:

Well in my 10+ years of daily driving air-cooled vehicles I have never had a certain oil damage anything, I have never used Brad Penn or VR-1 either.

Maybe I've been lucky, I've read stories about damaged cams and lifters, I've torn apart engines with damage caused from lack of lubrication but never had a problem myself.
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
Frodge wrote:

Well in my 10+ years of daily driving air-cooled vehicles I have never had a certain oil damage anything, I have never used Brad Penn or VR-1 either.

Maybe I've been lucky, I've read stories about damaged cams and lifters, I've torn apart engines with damage caused from lack of lubrication but never had a problem myself.

Well, what do you use that seems to be successful for your needs?
Since you have a Corvair have you ever heard of this guy? Richard Widman
https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&...PCaueHPyXs
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

rockerarm wrote:

Well, what do you use that seems to be successful for your needs?
Since you have a Corvair have you ever heard of this guy? Richard Widman
https://www.google.com/search?site=&source=hp&...PCaueHPyXs

I've never read Richards Corvair before, good info. I usually use Chevron Delo 10-30 synthetic blend in the Corvair, I've been daily driving it lately while I do some work on my Bug. I rebuilt the engine in the Corvair in 2010 and its been super reliable, other than clean out the carbs and replace the points, I really haven't touched it.

I used to only use regular Rotella 15-40 in my bugs, I bought the 5 gal container at Wal-mart for like $60, lately I've been using Delo 5-40 synthetic, pretty much all year round, but I've also used Mobil 1 synthetic of various weights depending on my oil psi and oil temp and what the particular engine liked. I used regular shell non-Rotella for a while too with good results.
BillingsDave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

BillingsDave wrote:
Thanks for the replies so far and I'm looking forward to reading more. I did read the entire thread with the diagrams etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like all the tests were done using 10w30 and the problems began because of high pressure when useing a 30mm oil pump. I would have liked to have seen the results using a heavier weight oil and correct size pump, but of course the tests were done back in 1979. So if running 20w50 here in Missouri with temps in the upper 90's does not result in high oil temps is there any reason to change?

Today checked the oil temp for the first time. Not a severe test but got the engine good and hot on a day in the upper 80's. Used two different temperature probes to check the oil temp using the dip stick tube. Both returned 175°. Again, I know these were not taken on a day in the upper 90's after hours of highway driving but no evidence of overheating so far.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:

In general, oils sold for passenger cars with a 50W rating are a lot more likely to contain high levels of zinc than other weights. This is because the SAE specifications no longer allow high zinc in 40W and below. And racing oils without SAE ratings may or may not contain the detergents necessary for normal use, so tread cautiously with "race" oils even if they advertise high zinc. Some race oils are formulated to be changed after each day's racing.

Unless things have changed the reduced phosphorus specifications only apply to 10w30 and thinner oils unless the oil is rated as resource conserving.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 210, 211, 212 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 211 of 235

Jump to: