Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

norris wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
VW says to drive your engine moderately until the oil engine is warm. They define neither "moderate" nor "warm" Nor do they say that they want you to drive moderately because of the oil and not for some other reason such as the metallurgy of the engine. Someone in Alaska might keep his revs below 1/2 of factory red line until his oil is 20°F above the cold cranking temperature for his oil weight and feel he has met VW's requirements, while someone in California following the same instructions might baby his engine at an ambient that is over 100°F hotter.

Personally if I spend the night next to the road at 30°F and pull directly out on the highway when I wake, I will keep the revs below 2500-3000 as I go through the gears and before a mile is behind me an going to be running 65mph, feeling I have fully met VW requirements. I doubt that in 40+ years of driving ACVW I have even once waited until my oil was 212°+ to rev my engine to whatever speed I wanted. In a cold climate ACVW's have enough trouble with moisture building up in the oil so prolonging the "cold start" by warming the engine up more slowly seems counter productive.

I will let others worry about this latest fad of oil not being able to lubricate until it is above 180 or 212°F and will stick with the SAE's concern that cold starting (when the oil is <180°F) is hard on an engine due to moisture buildup in the oil and that one should warm their oil quickly to avoid moisture caused problems.

I know what moderate and warm is! Wow......how about "common sense"

And since VW doesn't define them your moderate and warm may well to be different from someone else's, just like your "common sense".

VW advice is:

Quote:
do not try to warm up the engine by letting it idle with the car stationary... drive off immediately and maintain moderate speed until the engine is warm.

To me the "cold oil will not lubricate crowd" is denying "common sense". For a 10w** oil the cold pumping temperature is -22°F and the cold cranking temperature is -13°F, so if you are 20°F above that the oil is going to be flowing very well throughout the engine and there is just no call for one to believe the oil isn't getting to everywhere in the engine well enough to give good protection. There is reason to worry that oil below 10°F is picking up a lot of moisture and other contaminates so driving the engine hard enough to warm the oil quickly is common sense. I for one am not going to pull out into traffic and then dawdle at 35 mph max until I think my oil reaches someone else's definition of warm.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/oct73bus/page22.jpg

https://wiki.anton-paar.com/en/sae-viscosity-grades/
thunderhead289
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Allow me to annoy everyone.

I use whatever oil weight gives me a hot idle of 20-30 PSI (i dont drop below 10w-30) and with flat tappet stuff i add a zinc additive.
in race engines i use synthetic because it doesnt break down under heat as bad - id assume air cooled vw stuff is the same since they get pretty hot.

when i run zinc additive, i have never had to readjust my flat tappet solid lifter v8 cars that run way more spring pressure than these vw's.
in my mind, adjustment needed = missing material.

accomplished v8 engine builder (knuckle dragger to you all im sure ha!)
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

thunderhead289 wrote:

I use whatever oil weight gives me a hot idle of 20-30 PSI (i dont drop below 10w-30) and with flat tappet stuff i add a zinc additive.
in race engines i use synthetic because it doesnt break down under heat as bad - id assume air cooled vw stuff is the same since they get pretty hot.

when i run zinc additive, i have never had to readjust my flat tappet solid lifter v8 cars that run way more spring pressure than these vw's.

VW engines dont have that much psi @ idle more like 10-20, I've been using diesel oil for 10+ years, daily driving a bug with a 2100cc for the last 3 years, still waiting for it to explode
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turbotype1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

vugbug68 wrote:
thunderhead289 wrote:

VW engines dont have that much psi @ idle more like 10-20, I've been using diesel oil for 10+ years, daily driving a bug with a 2100cc for the last 3 years, still waiting for it to explode

After reading all this..... your head is more likely gonna explode before your motor ever will.... Shocked
This new fad of get it the lowest, or run it with the worst looks, (patina) isn't cool, it's for the hey everyone look at me crowd, i'm driving a beat down ratty, unsafe, VW, how cool am I ???...your not....

Pissing off the purists since 1997

Wanted: Boyd Motors plate frame

57 Turbo Oval Sliding rag
67 13 window delux walk-thru- now 21
64 all original for the misses
83 Sinka m-TDI diesel
vugbug68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

turbotype1 wrote:
vugbug68 wrote:
thunderhead289 wrote:

After reading all this..... your head is more likely gonna explode before your motor ever will.... Shocked

yes! exactly
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

So.....
I have been reading a lot of good stuff about this next generation of modern oils. As I understand it the oil companies are addressing some of the issues that have come up with low zddp oils.
I do not know if it will ever get there or not but oil is still changing.

I hear good things about this one (in other weights also).
I am looking at trying this one (weight too) in mine.
I am nearing 3000 miles and all well with 5w20 dino.
Intend to go synthetic.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

DeathBySnuSnu wrote:
So.....
I have been reading a lot of good stuff about this next generation of modern oils. As I understand it the oil companies are addressing some of the issues that have come up with low zddp oils.
I do not know if it will ever get there or not but oil is still changing.

I hear good things about this one (in other weights also).
I am looking at trying this one (weight too) in mine.
I am nearing 3000 miles and all well with 5w20 dino.
Intend to go synthetic.

You like that? You’ll love the new 0w16 getting ready for roll out later this year.
DeathBySnuSnu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
You like that? You’ll love the new 0w16 getting ready for roll out later this year.

This was not primarily about the weight. It is available in other weights if that is what you like.
But instead is about the capability of the this brand and type of oil and if anyone else has used or researched about what is happening with oil.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thread
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Figured I should contribute. 67 Type 1 I’ve owned for 25 years

Engine is a 1776
Dual relief with stock springs and pistons
Full flow oiling system
Gene Berg 26mm oil pump
Gene Berg 239 pressure relief cover
Gene Berg 3.5 quart street sump
Remote oil filter

I had been running the “traditional” 20w-50 for as long as I can remember because “that’s what everyone said to do” and well the samba wasn’t around back then. And I pickled the car for about 10 years after the clutch cable tube broke free and I was getting a family going.

Anyways, it’s back on the road now. Initially with this motor I was again running the 20w-50 and getting OMG oil pressure when cold. It would of course drop when it got hot but would also get hotter than I liked when on the freeway. Pushing 240 at times.

Read this thread a few times and being older it made a lot of sense. So I put some Amsoil signature 5w-30 in it and have been very pleased. When cold it’s got much less pressure but it’s steadier on the gauge. Likely because the pressure relief system can actually work. And as it warms pressure does not start to drop as drastically.

It got up into the 90s today and driving on the freeway a new thing happened. It never got above 215 UNTIL I pulled off and was idling. At idle I had just under 10psi pressure which is fine but, the temp would inch up to maybe 230. That is until I moved again and very quickly the temp would drop to a steady 215. Which to me means the cooler is actually doing its thing and the oil isn’t bypassing it because the pressure is high. At no point driving, even on the freeway would it go past 215 even doing 70.

With the 5w-30 the oil really seemed to reach an equilibrium on temp and pressure the 20w-50 just couldn’t.

Interestingly enough, with the 5w-30 the straight cut cam gears aren’t as noisy either. I like the noise they make, it’s just quieter with the 5w-30 oil. But that could be more the Amsoil than the weight. I don’t know.

I’ll be sticking with the 5w-30, it seems that it’s workkng well.
norris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I've been using that exact same Amsoil for about 3 years with the exact same results in my 2276. I'm sold on the product for sure. It's a bit more expensive than most, but after reading some extensive unbiased test results and my personal experience, it'll be all I ever use as long as it's available.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I was told by several older acvw mechanics that have been doing this stuff for decades to run a good 10w30 or 10w40 on a stock engine and change it frequently. That’s basically what I do.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

5-20 syn for about 80,000 miles sofar for mine.but Ive only been into vw's for about 17 years, so I havent learned all the old antiquated crap....although I do have a model T roadster.....
Motor60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

What oil are you running if you have a Webcam?
Says will void warranty if racing oil is not used....
Does Mobil 1 count?
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Motor60 wrote:
What oil are you running if you have a Webcam??

Hah, Do they now make a webcam to monitor inside your engine, to let the world watch it while your lifters fail or other bad things happen? Twisted Evil

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
Teeroy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Valvolone VR 1 conventional with my Web cam on 2 different engines
ARR #3
www.autosportsnorthwest.org
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

PennGrade 1 is suppose to have good zinc levels and should be good for a Camper Special motor or application where zinc containing oils are specified

https://www.penngrade.com/penngrade-1/

Now available at Halsey Motors in Portland

Just a regular guy
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

otiswesty wrote:
PennGrade 1 is suppose to have good zinc levels and should be good for a Camper Special motor or application where zinc containing oils are specified

It does look good. Except that 20W-50 is the wrong viscosity for our engines.
Toller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Here in the Great White North an oil has been developed specifically for flat tappet engines. http://www.camoils.com
I have gone the route based on recommendations on this forum with worst being synthetic which i found would leak out of places that conventional Dino grade would not. Unfortunately, availability is limited to Canada and contrary to statements on the web site we now have two distributors in Ontario. At under $10 CDN when I buy a case it has accomplished everything that it has advertised it is capable of doing for my 47 year old 1500. Temps are in spec, pressure is has been lowered and the valve noise has been reduced. Not as quiet as my Hemi in the Ram but it is noticeable
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Toller wrote:
Here in the Great White North an oil has been developed specifically for flat tappet engines. http://www.camoils.com

Our engines were designed to use 30 wt oil. In the modern world of multi-grades, that means 10W-30, or 5W-30.
I would never use 15W-40, it's the wrong viscosity.
Mr Beckstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Toller wrote:

Our engines were designed to use 30 wt oil. In the modern world of multi-grades, that means 10W-30, or 5W-30.
I would never use 15W-40, it's the wrong viscosity.

VW seem to think it’s okay so it could hardly be “wrong” unless you use it in the wrong climate.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 215, 216, 217 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 216 of 235

Jump to: