Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

which would you choose?
jeffinohio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

FWIW....I am not some Amsoil fanboy,but I am a believer now.Have been running it in my Bug because a friend sells it.Never noticed anything special.They recently came out with an oil specifically for Polaris products.It was cheaper than the Polaris oil I had been running,so I figured I would try it.My Ranger was noticeably quieter as soon as. I started it.With the engine directly under the seat,believe me you can hear everything.Told a neighbor,he switched and had exactly the same results.Thought I would share
67 Cougar
3 Subarus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

jeffinohio wrote:
FWIW....I am not some Amsoil fanboy,but I am a believer now.Have been running it in my Bug because a friend sells it.Never noticed anything special.They recently came out with an oil specifically for Polaris products.It was cheaper than the Polaris oil I had been running,so I figured I would try it.My Ranger was noticeably quieter as soon as. I started it.With the engine directly under the seat,believe me you can hear everything.Told a neighbor,he switched and had exactly the same results.Thought I would share

If it was noticeably quieter right off the bat it must be a higher viscosity product or have some type of thickening modifier in it...

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Onceler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Not sure if this stuff’s been mentioned yet. Any thoughts on it vs. a zinc additive?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

i would like to know as well...
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Most oils have very specific additive packages that are designed to work a certain way, and I personally no longer believe adding anything is beneficial. Just buy a better/more suitable oil. Zinc/ZDDP isn't the only compound that will prevent wear.

This page has a long list of test results on many various oils, with some additional sections dealing with additives. several tested actually lost wear protection strength when additives were used.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/ (you have to scroll down a good ways to see the oil rankings)

Personally, based on price, availability, and the specs shown on the list here, I've decided my next oil will be "Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 Full Synthetic", it's affordable, high quality, and available at Wal-Mart for $17.97/5QT.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
CarterWohl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I got my superbeetle about 8 months ago and it’s been sitting while I work on it ever since. I’m finally ready to start driving it but I need to change the oil. The previous owner had it for 3 years and said he never changed it. The car has around 50,000 on the odometer but I’m not sure if that’s the same for the engine. I plan to daily drive it later this year and put some good miles on it. I’ve been reading through the oil forums and it’s hard to find a clear answer, what engine oil do you recommend for an engine like mine? I’m sure this is an easy question for a lot of you but thanks for your help!
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

There is a lot of science behind oil that’s why it’s so confusing. There are probably multiple oils you can use but I use Brad Penn. It has all the zinc you need for your flat tappet engine the only question is what weight. I’m down here in the southeast so it’s a little different but I run 10/40 in the winter in 20/50 in the summer.
Down here I can’t find anyone that sells it locally so I always have to get it online.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

CarterWohl wrote:
I got my superbeetle about 8 months ago and it’s been sitting while I work on it ever since. I’m finally ready to start driving it but I need to change the oil. The previous owner had it for 3 years and said he never changed it. The car has around 50,000 on the odometer but I’m not sure if that’s the same for the engine. I plan to daily drive it later this year and put some good miles on it. I’ve been reading through the oil forums and it’s hard to find a clear answer, what engine oil do you recommend for an engine like mine? I’m sure this is an easy question for a lot of you but thanks for your help!

As has been said here many times, you want 10psi/1000 rpms for a hot engine. I have yet to own a VW engine that wouldn't meet these specs with a 30wt in the summer and a 10w30 in the winter. Running too thick of an oil tends to make the oil run hotter as the VW oil cooling system regulates to keep to pressure from being too high and not to control the temperature. I tend to prefer synthetic oils as they handle the heat well and give a long oil change interval.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

You need flow to properly lubricate and cool parts. Using thicker oil than necessary is such a waste- it will run hotter, rob horsepower as well as fuel economy, and produce unnecessarily high pressure. Slip a good main bearing over the journal on a clean crank, and look at how small the clearance is. Do you really think shoving thicker oil through such a tight space would be better than running thinner oil that will do the job with less friction and unnecessary backpressure? If the pressure is too high it will flow less due to both backpressure/friction, and how the bypass system of the VW aircooled engine operates.

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Onceler wrote:
Not sure if this stuff’s been mentioned yet. Any thoughts on it vs. a zinc additive?

Hey man! I am curious as well. I bought 2 cases at Ollie’s (close out store) for CHEAP! ($1 a bottle)
Wonder if it’s a adept alternative?
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Anyone have any thoughts on the Lucas hot rod oil with high zinc?

I saw some yesterday and wonder if anyone has been using it.
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Paul Jr wrote:

Look at this. Posted above.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Most oils have very specific additive packages that are designed to work a certain way, and I personally no longer believe adding anything is beneficial. Just buy a better/more suitable oil. Zinc/ZDDP isn't the only compound that will prevent wear.

This page has a long list of test results on many various oils, with some additional sections dealing with additives. several tested actually lost wear protection strength when additives were used.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/ (you have to scroll down a good ways to see the oil rankings)

Personally, based on price, availability, and the specs shown on the list here, I've decided my next oil will be "Quaker State Ultimate Durability 5W-30 Full Synthetic", it's affordable, high quality, and available at Wal-Mart for $17.97/5QT.

Yes.. long read. It looks like he put all his blogs in one place. Seems quite definitive. Some of his chest beating is over the top and not typical for most engineers. But from the list.. that was a lot of work.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

M. Notary wrote:
Paul Jr wrote:

Look at this. Posted above.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

Would love to see similar test results for oils that had 3000 and 6000 miles on them. I think that would be far more meaningful, but unfortunately many times the cost and effort to do. A lot more variables would be thrown in as well.

I wonder if an oil testing service has ever taken the massive amounts of data they have generated over the years, had it analyzed, and published the results.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Onceler wrote:

Hey man! I am curious as well. I bought 2 cases at Ollie’s (close out store) for CHEAP! ($1 a bottle)
Wonder if it’s a adept alternative?

So - no one knows then? No one has answered the question. I bought a bottle of this and realized when I got home that it isn't zinc. Is it garbage or can it be used?
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Anything can be used, maybe look up the MSDS to see what's in it.

I would prefer to buy a high quality oil that already has an adequate antiwear package.

francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Hi Guys;

In my country the climate is perfect for a 15w /40 all year round, after reading several pages of this post I can conclude that the Diesel 15w/40 version has the correct ZDDP amount for my engine?
API recommended?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
Hi Guys;

In my country the climate is perfect for a 15w /40 all year round, after reading several pages of this post I can conclude that the Diesel 15w/40 version has the correct ZDDP amount for my engine?
API recommended?

I can't say that all 15w40 oil has an "S" rating (for gasoline) besides the "C" rating (for diesel). Something to check for.

I personally prefer a synthetic oil as synthetics handle heat better and keep the engine cleaner inside.

This head was on a bus for around 300,000 kilometers when this picture was taken and shows how clean synthetic will keep on engine.

I only changed the oil annually on this engine so the oil was staying in the crankcase for 15,000 kilometers or so.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Here’s what I dug up from another site and the site itself. It looks promising but all websites boast claims that may not be real....
https://www.hyperlube.com/product/zinc-replacement-additive/

1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 227, 228, 229 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 228 of 235

Jump to: