Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

There was a change to SN rated oil....(SN plus)

API SN Plus Introduced in May 2018
Licensed from May 1, 2018, API SN Plus is a new API classification that can be used alongside API SN, API SN with Resource Conserving and ILSAC GF-5. It was developed in accordance with OEMs request for motor oils that can protect from the potentially catastrophic effects of Low-Speed Pre-Ignition (also known as LSPI

Engine manufacturers have been striving for a long time to reach higher and higher efficiency in their engines combined with lower and lower fuel consumption. One of the most efficient ways for a gasoline engine to operate is to use direct injection. LSPI can only happen in engines using gasoline direct injection technology.

So, what is LSPI and why does it happen? When the fuel is injected in the combustion chamber it may form a liquified solution with the thin residual layer of oil that sits on the cylinder wall. This fuel-oil solution is then pushed upwards by the piston during the compression stroke and the pressure may cause it to ignite, thus resulting in an unplanned combustion pressure wave. This is the LSPI event. Afterwards, the spark plug ignites the remaining fuel-air mixture that results in a second combustion shockwave. The combined force of the shockwaves is enough, in the long run, to create cracks in the piston and eventually to cause sections of the piston to break away completely.

Realizing this problem, engine manufacturers turned to oil companies for help. Oil companies changed their additive packages in such a way that would prevent the fuel-oil mixture from combusting and thus preventing the uncontrolled combustion. The American Petroleum Institute introduced a supplement to their API SN specification – called API SN Plus – that also includes tests to verify that the oil protects against LSPI.

And for the first time ever I was not able to get Valvoline VR-1 Racing 10w-30 at my NAPA (distribution store). Asked if I could order it. Response....No can do. Looks like Amazon it is.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Interesting that they couldn't order it, did they say why? Discontinued, NLA, etc?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Interesting that they couldn't order it, did they say why? Discontinued, NLA, etc?

None given.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
johnnyvw164
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Interesting....I just picked up a 6 pack of VR1 at my local NAPA yesterday. Might be a local thing
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Probably a liability thing. Somebody somwhere out that in their new car and voided the warranty and made the EPA mad.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I tried to order 10W30 VR1 on Amazon, and they will not ship the conventional to my location in California, but they will ship the synthetic. I just ordered 6 quarts and it should be same day delivery.

Just an FYI for anybody that's trying to get it in California but striking out locally. My local Napa can no longer order it.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

That's what I get for getting my hopes up on same day shipping, this is laughably poor attention to sending the right product. Different upc, different label. Ugh. I'll drop this trash off at the return pickup and hopefully they'll send the right stuff.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Im in New England, guy who owned the car before me used SAE 30. Im cool with that, but what about winter? I don't plan on driving the car after the first snow storm but I do wanna let it run every few weeks. I was thinking of going 10w30, but if I kept it at a standard 30 would it really hurt anything?

Also whats the deal with everyone running diesel oil? I see a lot of people using rotella ?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I'd use 10W30 so you are covered year-round without thinking about it.

I use Rotella here because I like using 15W40 for Arizona.
The 40 is for when it's hot.
It's cheap and comes in a huge jug and ran cooler for me in the summer than when I tried another oil (I think it was Valvoline)
Rotella is/was often recommended because it had a better mix of chemicals (zddp ) that other normal modern "car" oils.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Gmanvr6 wrote:
Im in New England, guy who owned the car before me used SAE 30. Im cool with that, but what about winter? I don't plan on driving the car after the first snow storm but I do wanna let it run every few weeks. I was thinking of going 10w30, but if I kept it at a standard 30 would it really hurt anything?

Also whats the deal with everyone running diesel oil? I see a lot of people using rotella ?

Look up VR1 racing oil by Valvoline. In my research, it has the right zinc and phosphorus in its makeup. I run 10-30 year around in Phoenix on engines with tight tolerances. Even in the summer heat, I have plenty of oil pressure.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Gmanvr6 wrote:

30wt is fine, it doesn't use viscosity modifiers which can degrade from heat. No reason to start you car and run it, in fact it may well cause water to build up in the oil over time, a big negative. Fill your tank with ethanol free gas and block off the fuel inlet and run the engine at a fast idle until the carb is dry of fuel.

I run synthetics because they can take a lot of heat and its great having an all season oil like the 5w40 I like to use. Rotella T-6 though no longer carries an "S" rating which used to indicate it was suitable for use in gas engines. Don't know if this is really a problem or not, because VW air cooled engine are not at all typical in their needs. There are still other 5w40 Diesel oils that do carry a "S" rating, like Mobile 1 Turbo Diesel 5W40, which I continually look for on sale and sometimes find very good deals on.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I've noticed at tractor supply recently that there's a gas truck version of rotella now, might be worth looking into for those that like the stuff.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
I've noticed at tractor supply recently that there's a gas truck version of rotella now, might be worth looking into for those that like the stuff.

It says "high mileage" which may or may not mean it has enough potentially cat clogging antiwear additives to protect the lifters, I have not checked this out. **W-40 oils were not restricted in the amount of ZDDP they can run but a 5W30 or 10w30 SN "NON-HIGH MILEAGE" oil would have been restricted. Just don't know for sure where this oil sits.

Wonder how it compares to Mobile 1 0W40 with rates well in various wear tests?
Silver65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
Gmanvr6 wrote:

Look up VR1 racing oil by Valvoline. In my research, it has the right zinc and phosphorus in its makeup. I run 10-30 year around in Phoenix on engines with tight tolerances. Even in the summer heat, I have plenty of oil pressure.

How much zinc and phosphorus is suggested?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

It says "high mileage" which may or may not mean it has enough potentially cat clogging antiwear additives to protect the lifters, I have not checked this out. **W-40 oils were not restricted in the amount of ZDDP they can run but a 5W30 or 10w30 SN "NON-HIGH MILEAGE" oil would have been restricted. Just don't know for sure where this oil sits.

Wonder how it compares to Mobile 1 0W40 with rates well in various wear tests?
The picture I see says "ALL-Mileage", not "high mileage."

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

SBD wrote:

Yes you are correct, but what the heck is an All-Mileage oil?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SBD wrote:

Sounds like a car repair sign I saw that made similar nonsense:
"Specializing in All Makes and Models."

There is even a current ad stating this oxymoron:
https://www.pachecoworldwide.com

Maybe suggest that the owner google "specialize"?
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
SBD wrote:

Very Happy I don't know but I don't like the idea of high-mileage oils because, along with the higher zinc some claim to have for older flat-tappet engines, they nearly always claim to have additives that soften the seals and make them swell to help stop the leaks in all of those "high-mileage" engines. I don't need that in my newly-built ACVW motor with new seals. Mad Somehow I can't imagine that stuff being good for brand new seals, but maybe I'm wrong? Rolling Eyes

mark tucker wrote:
I wouldent waste $ or thyme on building a small motor. build it big so it dosent have to work hard.remember it's only as fast as your foot alows it to be unless you build a small turd then it just stinks as it squishes up through your toes when you step on it.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Perfect oil for my VW = 50/50 mix of Brad Penn 10w30 + Motul 300V 0w40 ester based racing oil

My secret recipe has been spilled Twisted Evil
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Cleaning out my late grandfather's tool box after it sat in limbo for a decade…

Looks like the man would have fit right in with the VW crowd. Razz

"Custom blended oil for your specific application"

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 228, 229, 230 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 229 of 235

Jump to: