Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Several years ago I was an oil distributor and this publication I really liked. It’s still around little pricey or free if you are in business. Some of it you can get right off the website. It covers worldwide business so you’ll see trends and products before they hit the US market. Highly recommend.

https://www.lubesngreases.com/magazine/zddp-lives-on/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
Several years ago I was an oil distributor and this publication I really liked. It’s still around little pricey or free if you are in business. Some of it you can get right off the website. It covers worldwide business so you’ll see trends and products before they hit the US market. Highly recommend.

That is a good article, thanks for posting. I knew oils seemed to have become markedly better over the last few years, but didn't know why. Sounds like having a less volatile variant of ZDDP has good all around benefits: less depletion of the amount of ZDDP in the oil over time so it last longer and less ZDDP fouling the converters. I had become quite cognizant that the processing of the base oils had improved.
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Hi guys;

Will be fine for my bug stock 1600cc??....more than 1000 ppm Phosphorus, API service CK4.
Any experiences?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My best.

Last edited by francoangellini on Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:
Hi guys;

Will be fine for my bug stock 1600cc??....more than 1000 ppm Phosphorus??
Any experiences?

It doesn't say that it is for use in gasoline engines, but does imply its okay so long as you don't have a catalytic converter. Otherwise I don't know if modern diesel oils that don't carry an "S" rating will do any harm to our older gas engine or not.
francoangellini
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
francoangellini wrote:
Hi guys;

Will be fine for my bug stock 1600cc??....more than 1000 ppm Phosphorus??
Any experiences?

It doesn't say that it is for use in gasoline engines, but does imply its okay so long as you don't have a catalytic converter. Otherwise I don't know if modern diesel oils that don't carry an "S" rating will do any harm to our older gas engine or not.

Good point, also zinc ppm is not informed...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

francoangellini wrote:

Good point, also zinc ppm is not informed...

Read the article Zundfolge1432 linked to above:

Also most oils with a second number of 40 or above aren't required to have reduced phosphorous so can run the amount of phosphorous the petroleum engineer designing them deems best to go with the rest of the anti-wear package.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

"Oil extreme" Does that ring a bell? from maybe 10 years ago
At the time did not appear any different than the other snake oils, tho was endorsed by a handful of guys who weren't shills.
If it works why isn't everybody using it?
Products sold "direct to the consumer" usually means big companies won't buy their bull. But not always.
How is new oil better? ...Hint hint

And yet another example of why looking at the oil elemental analysis is misguided.
High Phosphorous....ok, You do not know if it is slow burn DZZP or or fast

If high calcium.... that might be tons of detergent OR Good ep additives
How will you know?

If you want to mix some 15-40 or 20-50 with some 10-30 to get around the regulations that's fine, but IMO the reputation of the product and instructions on the bottle, are more reliable than the oil analysis.
jfdestree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Are all those info suitable for European specs oil?
tcbuscg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Brad Penn has changed their name to PennGrade. it already contains a ZINC Additive.

I suck at math. does it meet the 1200-1500 PPM with .15% Zinc Mass to 1qt?

https://penngrade1.com/wp-content/uploads/PennGrad...s-2019.pdf

Glenn wrote:
There's been too many topics on the same oil subject.
This will be a ongoing topic to discuss what oil works.
Any similar topics in other forums will be pointed to this one and then locked.

Let's keep to the facts and not get into any heated debates.

Basically "clean" oil is best with frequent changes. Organic vs synthetic, single grade vs multi grade, diesel vs gasoline, does it really matter?

Any BS will be deleted, so stay on topic.

Let the debate begin.

===============================================
Summary
(for those that don't want to read the entire thread):
Quote:
"The most important thing is to change your oil, no matter what the type or grade. Apart from that, the overall consensus is to use 10/30 Oil for most climates worldwide and a lot of people in this thread recommend Brad Penn oil or your favorite oil plus a ZDDP additive."

ZDDP levels should be between 1200 - 1500 ppm, more is not better.

When in doubt, experts recommend having 10 psi per 1000 rpms. For example, if you are running at 3000 rpms on the freeway, you should have around 30 psi when at full operating temperature.

Also see
Importance of choosing the correct oil weight
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Since purchase, I have been using exclusively Rotella T5 15W-40 high zinc oil.

This was recommended to me by multiple ACVW mechanics.

What's the general consensus on this oil?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

A number of years ago Shell changed Rotella. i have since switched to Bradd Penn.

But i'm no expert.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I used to use the T6 Rotella in my bug for years but after completing my new build I plan to use a mix of Brad penn and Motul 300v ester based oil after break in.

I still use the T6 Rotella in my wagon, but have thought about switching that over to BP also.
Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
A number of years ago Shell changed Rotella. i have since switched to Bradd Penn.

But i'm no expert.

I've heard that, but I didn't hear that it was nescissarily changed for the worse?

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
HBSTIZZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Recomendations for oil in southern california. 1914 motor
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

HBSTIZZ wrote:
Recomendations for oil in southern california. 1914 motor

10 psi per 1000 rpm on a well warmed up engine.
ekacpuc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

There's alot of info here.. Maybe I missed it but anyone using royal purple HPS?

Shows up on my dipstick easier than the clear stuff lol. It has their own anti wear package, synthetic and plenty of zddp...
daos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

any thoughts here on oils with MoS2 content? looking at a Liqui-Moly 10w-30 semi-synthetic. would prefer a fully synth, but it's the moly i'm interested in.
PuddleRainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

I regularly run VR1 10w-30 in my 76 standard with factory 1600. I switched to BradPenn 10w-40 just before a 5800 mile July road trip from NJ to TX. Kept the BradPenn at the mid point oil change and then went back to the VR1 10w-30 when I got back to NJ.

The valve train noises are notably quieter with BradPenn than the VR1. Corroborating some of the previous posts on the subject.
57Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

Recommended oil for 2165 in a 57 bus with bypass filter and thermo cooler and extra sump. North Coast New South Wales, ambient temps 5C–late 30sC, (rarely early 40sC) in summer (say, 40-100F). Many oils mentioned in this thread hard to get in Aus -- Brad Penn, Rotella, Redline, etc. Preumim oils here Royal Purple, Amsoil, Kendall; more middle road Penrite.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Official "What oil / additives should I use" topic Reply with quote

57Airhead wrote:
Recommended oil for 2165 in a 57 bus with bypass filter and thermo cooler and extra sump. North Coast New South Wales, ambient temps 5C–late 30sC, (rarely early 40sC) in summer (say, 40-100F). Many oils mentioned in this thread hard to get in Aus -- Brad Penn, Rotella, Redline, etc. Preumim oils here Royal Purple, Amsoil, Kendall; more middle road Penrite.

If your engine will make sufficient oil pressure running 5w30 then that would be a good choice. For myself since synthetic oils handle heat better I would choose a premium synthetic oil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 229, 230, 231 ... 233, 234, 235  Next
Jump to:
Page 230 of 235

Jump to: