Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JFC3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:19 am    Post subject: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

I'm considering a Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring header and exhaust for a 2110 being built for a 70 Beetle. The motor will have dual 44s, 110 cam, 40/35.5 heads. I want the engine to perform, but I also prefer quieter exhaust and minimal drone at highway speed. I know there are trade offs there. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with the VS Quiet Sebring. Thanks.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

JFC3 wrote:
a 2110 being built...110 cam,. I want the engine to perform,

Get a better cam and who's heads?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JFC3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

I'll have to ask. By perform I don't mean much more than run well and strong around town and for cruising, and have a little excitement to it. I'm not out to race anybody or set any records.
JFC3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

Heads will be GTV2. Looks like the Abarth style exhaust is also an option for going under an apron without cutouts. I suppose either of those would be my VS options. I think I saw some posts about you having a dual quiet pack that you were happy with, Glenn. If those are still available I suppose that would be another option. Seems like there are a number of complaints about drone with the A1 Sidewinder, so I'm looking for other options.
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

JFC3 wrote:
Heads will be GTV2. Looks like the Abarth style exhaust is also an option for going under an apron without cutouts. I suppose either of those would be my VS options. I think I saw some posts about you having a dual quiet pack that you were happy with, Glenn. If those are still available I suppose that would be another option. Seems like there are a number of complaints about drone with the A1 Sidewinder, so I'm looking for other options.

Without knowing your budget, may I suggest, that you look into CSP Competition og even EVO Competition. Nice fit, not to loud and great performance

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JFC3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

Yeah that looks really nice flat4olsen, but I don't think it will work because my rear apron doesn't have cutouts for the exhaust pipes. I like the look of the smooth apron that the car has (from a prior owner restoration) but kinda wish I had cutouts at this point for the engine project.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

flat4olsen wrote:
Without knowing your budget, may I suggest, that you look into CSP Competition og even EVO Competition. Nice fit, not to loud and great performance

So you're recommending a $1500 exhaust?

I would recommend this Vintage Speed exhaust... at 1//2 the price.
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/KARMANN-GHIA-AND...p132800973

I put it on a customer's 1915 and he loves it. Said it's not too loud since he drives the car a lot and usually his wife is with him.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
flat4olsen wrote:

So you're recommending a $1500 exhaust?

I would recommend this Vintage Speed exhaust... at 1//2 the price.
https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/KARMANN-GHIA-AND...p132800973

I put it on a customer's 1915 and he loves it. Said it's not too loud since he drives the car a lot and usually his wife is with him.

I did say “without knowing your budget”… Rolling Eyes I use the CSP, and I’m very happy with it, but I’m sure you could go cheaper. Or take up origami, if you don’t want to spend money on your hobby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

I had a customer bring me an engine project he couldn't finish and it had the Evo.... I was not impressed. Requiring 4 hangers makes the installation a bit harder.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
flat4olsen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I had a customer bring me an engine project he couldn't finish and it had the Evo.... I was not impressed. Requiring 4 hangers makes the installation a bit harder.

I didn’t recommend the CSP exhaust to impress you. I’m very satisfied with it, and that’s why I recommended it to the OP. I rest my case.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

JFC3 wrote:

STAY AWAY from those stupid heads. Quality of the hardware is poor out of the box, the ports are terrible, so is the seat work. For a 2110 a set of Tims stage 1, Brothers or a set of corrected Panchito´s would be the the ticket. IF the cam is written in stone already I could actually see the point in going with a set of Tims stageII. I built a "box" 2110 engine around a W110 and a set of stageII heads some 10 years ago. I was positively surprised as to how well and relatively powerfull it was. i have forgotten the exact numbers, but it was in the 135 hp range.
Wrt exhaust. This : https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/43MM-SUPER-SPORT-EL-SS143-EXHAUST-SYSTEMS-BUG-50-35-p132830345 Will suit the combo real well
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

flat4olsen wrote:
I didn’t recommend the CSP exhaust to impress you. I’m very satisfied with it, and that’s why I recommended it to the OP. I rest my case.

Glad you're happy with it.

Overly complicated in my opinion

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

I agree with Olsen. The EVO is AWESOME, complicated or not. WAY better than a Sidewinder.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
I agree with Olsen. The EVO is AWESOME, complicated or not. WAY better than a Sidewinder.

What about for a mild 2110 in a Beetle since that's what the OP wants it for?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

The EVO would do well, but otherwise the one I linked to a couple of posts above.
JFC3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

Thanks everybody. I'm not sure the EVO or the extreme lowered VS Superflow would work on a beetle with a rear apron that has no cutouts. Looks like the Superflow fits a Ghia (no cutouts) so maybe it would work with a beetle that doesn't have them. I'll email VS and see what they say. No comments yet on the Sebring or the Abarth. Maybe they're not all that popular. I appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Vintage Speed Quiet Sebring Header and Mufflers Reply with quote

VS sells a muffler for a beetle with no cut outs

https://store.vintagespeed.com.tw/1950~1955-BEETLE...p132800985
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: