Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another exhaust question
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

I used to search function for this question first, but, honestly, there are so many threads, it was impossible to see the tree for the forest.

I simply want an adequate exhaust for my 1641 DP engine, which is as follows:
Stock case
Stock DP heads
87mm Ps&Ls
CB Cheater cam
1.25 rockers
40 IDFs

I have a 1-3/8th merged header that I acquired in a trade, but no muffler for it. I really like peashooter style exhaust, but I'm not sure that's something I could use with the header. Not opposed to a stock exhaust at all, as I think my engine is only slightly warmer than stock.

BTW, I only used 87s because I had them from another trade. I had to buy liners because the ones from the traded engine were shot. In hindsight, I should have just purchased 88 TWs or bought a good set of 85.5s, but it's too late now.

I would prefer to have peashooters, but without the "ringing" of a stock exhaust

Thanks
H2OSB
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

I like the CSP stock style stainless steel muffler. I used one on my 1600cc I built last year. Fits well and works well with manifold heating.
Exits with factory style tips.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

A lot of people LIKE the stock two tip tailpipes, but the fact is that that constraint increases the cost.
Vintage speed Taiwan makes closest to what you want, but they aren't cheap.

Last edited by modok on Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am; edited 1 time in total
frenchroast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

early wrote:

Off topic but the breather hose should connect to the lower outlet on the air cleaner. The upper one then gets plugged if the charcoal canister isn't used.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

The vacuum advance line is on the wrong place on the carb as well.
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The vacuum advance line is on the wrong place on the carb as well.

The carb is a new brosol solex h30/31. Not enough vacuum at the "normal" side port for the diaphragm. Where it is connected it pulls the right amount of vacuum but is a bit slower to drop speed.
This is what I learned on the samba. I suppose it still could be better. I'll try the old 019 next.
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

Information corrected below. Sorry!

Last edited by oprn on Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
early
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

That port is manifold vacuum from below the throttle plate and will give you full vacuum advance only at idle and next to nothing above. You will be missing out on the cruise advance advantage of a vacuum pot distributor and may have trouble getting a low enough idle speed.
early wrote:
is a bit slower to drop speed.
This is because as soon as you take your foot off the loud peddle it goes to full advance.

The proper port will not give you any advance at idle but will give you full advance at cruise for better fuel economy. That would be why you are not seeing any vacuum on that port sitting in the driveway.

Oprn, thanks for the info! I'll give it a try when I get back to it. The 61 is on the back burner as I just discovered that the front beam is loose and shouldn't be driving it at any speed! The 2 captive nuts on frame head are no longer captive! But thats another kettle of fish. I am trying to focus on building the bus engine.

Op, sorry to hijack your thread, I should know better. But back to the CSP muffler, it has a nice tone and seems to be more performance than a stock muffler. I have the TDE tips on it as well.

Cheers.. early
my 73 sports bug project build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=497088
Current Projects :
73 Sport Bug - L13M gone now
67 Westfalia
57 oval window ragtop - sold june 2021
61 sedan
68 Corvette Roadster - Small Block, 4 Speed
86 GMC Sierra Classic- 4x4, Shortbed
94 Harley Flstn
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

early wrote:

Op, sorry to hijack your thread, I should know better. But back to the CSP muffler, it has a nice tone and seems to be more performance than a stock muffler. I have the TDE tips on it as well.

Cheers.. early

No worries. I kinda like it when the topic strays a bit. TY for the suggestion of the CSP exhaust I'd forgotten about that one and it's really what I'm looking for.

H2OSB
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Ah yes! Back to the old problem of aftermarket parts not matching. I bought one too thinking it was easier than rebuilding the stock carb. I never did get it to run right and ended up rebuilding the stock carb in the end.

That port is manifold vacuum from below the throttle plate and will give you full vacuum advance only at idle and next to nothing above. You will be missing out on the cruise advance advantage of a vacuum pot distributor and may have trouble getting a low enough idle speed.
early wrote:
is a bit slower to drop speed.
This is because as soon as you take your foot off the loud peddle it goes to full advance.

The proper port will not give you any advance at idle but will give you full advance at cruise for better fuel economy. That would be why you are not seeing any vacuum on that port sitting in the driveway.

Manifold vacuum is about the same as the correct vacuum port at cruising speeds. The whole point of the factory advance vacuum drilling is so the vacuum pickup is above the throttle blade at idle throttle (not 'seeing' manifold vacuum) and below the throttle blade above idle throttle ('seeing' manifold vacuum). That way vacuum advance turns off at idle and when decelerating.

Here is a post showing what I have been told is the correct vacuum port for an SVDA distributor vacuum connection with the H30/31 carb. That port should be just above the throttle blade when it is closed in the idle position. So it is at roughly no vacuum with the throttle closed and manifold vacuum once you start opening the throttle. Frank Bassman took some pictures of the vacuum on that lower right angled port.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Another exhaust question Reply with quote

Ok, maybe I am wrong. Let me take another look at that carb and run some fine wire through to see which drillings are connected to which ports. I still have it here.

EVfun, you are correct! My apologies to early!

The sloping fitting at the bottom of the carb IS THE CORRECT ONE for the SVDA distributor. The fittings up higher facing the rear of the car... the larger of the two is manifold vacuum while the smaller of the two is drilled directly into the venturi with a very small hole. The fitting on the left side is also drilled into the venturi but has a tube that extends out into the airflow in the venturi.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: