Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Indystrial engine typ 122 questions
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beskucnica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

Greetings people, I'm calling from Europe country Serbia, I assume that most of the you are associated that with Novak Djokovic or vice versa Laughing
I apologize in advance for my imperfect English

I comunicated with guy , he have a vw engine on offer, the price is favorable, he also had another one but he sold it to someone else and if I offered him a buyout, it was not very fair to me

My question is how do they compare

Can that also work without car batterie?

What is needed to test such an engine, I don't know, he told to me that he didn't test it, maybe he's just lying?
My father and grandfather have always been fans of VW, I have a old single cab van fom 60s, that was sold to a friend who will fix it, but it won't start for at least 2 years, so until then it's with me and I live in the vilage and I planned to put that engine in the van and to drive through forests and fields Laughing
Engine pictures:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And the first engine that he sold for other one, he seait that this working excelent:

mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

Yes, that is a set of photographs of an apparently complete set of parts that appear to be an engine.

If you can turn it over by hand a complete rotation and can feel and hear changes in the air compressing in the cylinders it may really be an engine.

It has a magneto so does not need a battery to run but it still needs a battery to start it.

It is going to be a lottery if you buy it, do not pay a lot.

Imagine it as a box of parts, it may have been damaged and removed from a vehicle, or it may have been used in e.g. a water pump and abandoned, e.g. a fire engine water pump, or the vehicle it was in corroded away, so it might only need new fuel hoses and some fresh fuel and oil.

It is less likely to be full of water because there is no path for rain to get in and it looks old and dirty and not corroded.

I would focus first on why the engine you already have does not run, as not starting for 2 years is less time not starting than the engine you are thinking of buying.

If your existing engine was damaged and failed, that is different to failing to start because it has been a long time since it last ran.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Beskucnica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

Thanks for reply man.

Yes, that he told me that he got those engines from a fire truck, with the fact that the one with the Ronco magneto worked very little hours, bat he sold them.

Now there is no engine on my van, it hasn't started in about 15 years and I think that's when my father sold the engine.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

Yes it will run without a battery and if you have or can make a hand crank it will not need a battery and starter to start it either. Those engines have a crank nut on the pulley end for that purpose.

Bare in mind that those are 1132cc 25 HP engines and will be grossly under powered by today's standards. The original engine in your truck/van would have been a 1200cc 36 HP one. Someone restoring a early 1950's VW might pay good money for one of those engines, they are rare as hen's teeth!

Those industrial engines were built to be out in the weather so unless someone has left parts off there should not be any water in them.
Beskucnica
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

I think that I saw on engine plate this is 23kW on engine with Ronco magneto. I see nut for crank on bouth, one have and crank. In my countru in Serbia there are 1200cc engines on ads, they not that rare, some of them sells in Western Europe and more.

I am now in depresion when I remember what I have when I was child Laughing my father and grandpa have several beetles, karman ghia, this van who I was tolking about, and one T2 from 70s, ali of this sold in early 2000s for cheap for nothing. This T2 was in perfecly good condition, he has 1600cc engine that looks like new, huuuuh man. I will create new threads about them, add some pictures, but next week.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

Beskucnica wrote:
I think that I saw on engine plate this is 23kW on engine with Ronco magneto. I see nut for crank on bouth, one have and crank. In my countru in Serbia there are 1200cc engines on ads, they not that rare, some of them sells in Western Europe and more.

I am now in depresion when I remember what I have when I was child Laughing my father and grandpa have several beetles, karman ghia, this van who I was tolking about, and one T2 from 70s, ali of this sold in early 2000s for cheap for nothing. This T2 was in perfecly good condition, he has 1600cc engine that looks like new, huuuuh man. I will create new threads about them, add some pictures, but next week.

It appears to be a 40 horsepower (European rating was 34 HP) 1200 engine. The stated power, 23kW, would be 31 horsepower so perhaps it is a low compression version. It has a removable generator stand so it isn't an older 25 or 36 horse engine.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Indystrial engine typ 122 questions Reply with quote

The ID tag says 1132cc. But if you go by the generator tower it looks like the 40 HP.

...or is the 1192cc? That does make more sense.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: