Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bus tool roll / tool kit
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: Bus tool roll / tool kit Reply with quote

who has an original tool kit for their bus? it seems like a complete bus tool roll is less common than a spare tire tool kit, even though every bus came with a tool roll.

how many people collect stock tools? lets see some pics and discuss some of the finer points of bus tool rolls.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tool kit bars:
easy e wrote:
12-1/8" & 12mm dia.
15-5/8" & 12mm dia.
14-5/8" & 12mm dia.
Spark plug bar = 7.5" & 7.95mm dia.

Shorter 12" bar is believed to be Bus
Longer bars are believed to be Bug
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Sage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lind,

There is quite a discussion of these things in the Accessories/Memorbilia forum.

Hazetguy seems like a pro.

I only have a couple of the upper left almost round metal cases, but all the tools are missing...
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wsurfn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my original tool roll form my 66 Kombi...

hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

people collect tools? they are sick individuals. Laughing

i don't really have too many tool rolls. i just collect the loose tools i need based on what is listed in the owners manuals that are the correct printing date for the busses i own. also listed in the "tools and accessories" is a spare tire and jack, and earlier ones have a starting handle too.
i have noticed that there seems to be alot of misinformation in ads for tools for sale, as to what is "correct" for what. for example, a 13-10 wrench is not really correct for a 59 bus.
i always get a kick out of eBay ads that say things like "totally correct, complete tool kit" and then they have like some crappy taiwan pliers, 3 spark plug sockets, and a screwdriver. lol.
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one came in a 1960 panel I once owned. I know the pliers are missing, but apart from that, how complete is it?

Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom
it looks like the hubcap puller is missing from your kit......I hear wolfsberg west sells a good re-pro kit that has the hubcap puller......this original stuff is getting harder to find to make your toolkit complete.
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the plyer and hubcap puller u need, PM me

check out my classified ads, lots of rare parts/accessories for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimmy1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heres mine for the 60 westfalia..

am I missing anything?

check out my classified ads, lots of rare parts/accessories for sale.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oorwullie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anyone else have the original tin of insulating tape that came with swiss army busses? Cool
Culito

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this one for years. Don't have a bug anymore, but I still have the 12-point bit...This kit won't see any more use. All the tools still have the decals on them. The only thing that is kinda buggered up is the 36mm axle nut wrench, which we put a cheater pipe on back in the day...

johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever loosened a transmission plug with the tool roll tool? Or ever trusted how tight it was after tightening with it?
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere I remember reading that the early, say 1950's tool rolls did not include the hub cap puller tool. Yet I have never noticed a hub cap that did not have the two holes for using the puller tool...

Jimmy1: I believe you should have two screw drivers a large and a small. Looks like your missing the small one.

I have four complete tool rolls that have been collected using some research, looking at photos and using the last page of the correct year owners manuals for my cars. I will post some pics as soon as I have a chance. 1956 beetle, 1957 Kombi, 1960 beetle and 1965 Deluxe Microbus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ManifestedIdiotte
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimmy1 wrote:
heres mine for the 60 westfalia..

am I missing anything?

AHH YESSS, you need to add the forest green fluffy boa, &have it to be sewed around the bag. it'll look BADASS! trust me!!! the reason i suggested this is because im pretty sure one of those days, you're gonna get me a beetle bug car, or a pink bus? id probably need to steal your tools to fix my baby. so i really need the "comfort" to handle the bag and stuff..you know i have pretty nails and such. ohh dont forget to put the little towel in the tool bag too (hint: to wash my hand with) oxox!

*cough*
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about getting a toolkit from WW. Anyone have one and can comment on the quality? I wouldn't be regularly using the tools of course, but it would be nice to know if the pliers or screwdriver will break the first time I try and use them.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:
I've been thinking about getting a toolkit from WW. Anyone have one and can comment on the quality? I wouldn't be regularly using the tools of course, but it would be nice to know if the pliers or screwdriver will break the first time I try and use them.

I got three of them for Xmas. They are nice. I use the small screw driver to adjust my mixture on my carbs, and have used the hubcap puller. I carry them mainly for emergency use but them seem sturdy enough for uncommon use. Not sure if I would use the screwdrivers to pry anything off, though. Definately worth the cost and the look pretty cool in the upholstery bag.
--Dan
Barnabus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

arthurnugen wrote:

The only strange thing I have found is that the Hubcap puller in the WW kit does not fit in the puller holes for the L345 Hubcaps that WW sells. Wire too big/holes too small

I do not have originals of any of the above so I cannot work out the problem. If I were to guess I think the holes in the hubcaps are too small.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnabus wrote:
arthurnugen wrote:

The only strange thing I have found is that the Hubcap puller in the WW kit does not fit in the puller holes for the L345 Hubcaps that WW sells. Wire too big/holes too small

I do not have originals of any of the above so I cannot work out the problem. If I were to guess I think the holes in the hubcaps are too small.

As I noted above I have used mine on OG hubcaps, so the WW hubcaps must have too small of holes.
--Dan
///Mink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

As I noted above I have used mine on OG hubcaps, so the WW hubcaps must have too small of holes.
--Dan

Yep, repro caps have much smaller holes than originals.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: bus tool rolls Reply with quote

another fun thing with tool rolls is the material that they were made out of. they were just scraps of whatever material they had laying around. from my observations of original buses that had their tool rolls, they were random which bus got what tool roll material.

even though they appear to have been randomly placed in buses, I try to get ones that match the upholstery of the bus that they are going into.

the ones I have pictured here are:

como green seat material | black seat material | caramel brown door panel material | headliner material

green canvas | black seat material | caramel seat material | sunroof cover material

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: