Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1964 Brake master cylinder line leaking - need a little help
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fakirone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: 1964 Brake master cylinder line leaking - need a little help Reply with quote

So I went to drive off yesterday and found that I had basically no brakes. So, turn around, head home and park till last night. When I got home from work I took a look around and noticed that there was no fluid in the brake resovoir so I filled it up. A couple pumps of the pedal later and I had brakes. This morning I came out a noticed that there was a little puddle of brake fluid in the driveway when I was leaving, so I put the car up and took a look at the master cylinder and brake system.
The good news is he car has all new brake lines, among many other parts underneath. Win! The bad news is the PO looks to have jerrymandered the line leading from the resovoir. It look like it a modified brake line just jammed into a rubber fitting and the fluid is clearly leaking from this union.
So question is, how is this supposed to be and where do I buy whatever part is supposed to go here?
....___
..,(___),
(Ö\_|_/Ö)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by fakirone on Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
McGuirk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With that fitting just dangling there it looks like your PO did just get a brake line from the local parts store, but the original set up is the same: metal brake line from the reservoir to a plug on top of the MC. The plug gets hard and cracks & you get leaks. Some of the aftermarket plugs also don't fit well and leak off the bat. You can get a good quality plug & brake line from Wolfsburg West:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/brakes/bug_brake/bug_brakes.cfm
chieftomahawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:01 am    Post subject: Line Reply with quote

if you want to keep the original look then you will have that metal line going into the M/C. If you want a safer system you could switch over to a dual circuit M/C and put the reservoir on top of the M/C. so that way if you lose your rear brakes you still have your fronts. i just did this to my 64 i even wen through the trouble mounting a new reservoir in stock location but it would leak when bumped at the M/C grommets. So i got a 83 BMW reservoir from my local junk yard and popped it right on. no more leaks and now i have the safety of dual circuit. also you can use some 80-91 model volvo or you can get one from empi. Just my two cents.
fakirone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Line Reply with quote

chieftomahawk wrote:
if you want to keep the original look then you will have that metal line going into the M/C. If you want a safer system you could switch over to a dual circuit M/C and put the reservoir on top of the M/C. so that way if you lose your rear brakes you still have your fronts. i just did this to my 64 i even wen through the trouble mounting a new reservoir in stock location but it would leak when bumped at the M/C grommets. So i got a 83 BMW reservoir from my local junk yard and popped it right on. no more leaks and now i have the safety of dual circuit. also you can use some 80-91 model volvo or you can get one from empi. Just my two cents.
So to go to dual circuit you buy the 80-91 Volvo MC?
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 on both posts. I would add that you can leave a dummy reservoir in place for stock appearance.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Line Reply with quote

fakirone wrote:
chieftomahawk wrote:

Or you can go to the same website, Wolfsburg west, and order a 67-77 dual circuit mc. They run about 95 bucks for German, and a bit cheaper for brazilian.
chieftomahawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Line Reply with quote

panicman wrote:
fakirone wrote:
chieftomahawk wrote:

Or you can go to the same website, Wolfsburg west, and order a 67-77 dual circuit mc. They run about 95 bucks for German, and a bit cheaper for brazilian.

i would go with the 67-77 beetle dual circuit m/c you just need the reservoir from the volvo or bmw if you have the varga (brazil) one, if you get the german one you need to get the reservoir off a rabbit cause the nipples are diffrenet sizes. so that you can just pop it right on top of the mc
chieftomahawk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: also Reply with quote

i would also like to say be carefull taking out your old mc there are some metal bushings that will fall into the pan and its a pain to fish out. with out these the bolts will crush the pan. the way i found a reservoir that popped right on top of the mc after reading allot of posts here i just took my new mc to the junk yard and pulled a couple of reservoirs till i found one that fit snuggly.
fakirone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: also Reply with quote

chieftomahawk wrote:
i would also like to say be carefull taking out your old mc there are some metal bushings that will fall into the pan and its a pain to fish out. with out these the bolts will crush the pan. the way i found a reservoir that popped right on top of the mc after reading allot of posts here i just took my new mc to the junk yard and pulled a couple of reservoirs till i found one that fit snuggly.
I read this last night, but thank you for the warning. That would have definitely sucked.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

McGuirk wrote:
With that fitting just dangling there it looks like your PO did just get a brake line from the local parts store, but the original set up is the same: metal brake line from the reservoir to a plug on top of the MC. The plug gets hard and cracks & you get leaks. Some of the aftermarket plugs also don't fit well and leak off the bat. You can get a good quality plug & brake line from Wolfsburg West:

While you are deciding about the duel master, get 2 replacement rubber plugs. Pull out the old one witrh the metal line. Lube with brake fluid a new plug, and using a big C clamp gradually tightened, put the new plug in place. Look at the profile of the hole- you can see the ridges that make the ribber seal, and the new plug ha to go striaght in, not at an angle. Once it is seated, lube the metal line and work it thu the plug hole. I put a mark on the metal line first at the depth of the rubber plug to make sure it is all the way down. The metal line should have a flare on it at the end, which is why it is a PITA to get thru the rubber plug

The second runbber plug is in case you tear up the first one doing the install.
fakirone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my59 wrote:
McGuirk wrote:

While you are deciding about the duel master, get 2 replacement rubber plugs. Pull out the old one witrh the metal line. Lube with brake fluid a new plug, and using a big C clamp gradually tightened, put the new plug in place. Look at the profile of the hole- you can see the ridges that make the ribber seal, and the new plug ha to go striaght in, not at an angle. Once it is seated, lube the metal line and work it thu the plug hole. I put a mark on the metal line first at the depth of the rubber plug to make sure it is all the way down. The metal line should have a flare on it at the end, which is why it is a PITA to get thru the rubber plug

The second runbber plug is in case you tear up the first one doing the install.
Cool
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: