Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Barndoor Videos
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

I think it’s a 23...it’s the same bus you see around the 0:45 to 1:15 range. You can see them as it’s pulling up as well as the front pass side skylight as they are greeted. Has the same rack and sign on doors.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gr8vw4sale
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

It is a 23. At 2:07 of the video, you will see a reflection and outline of the front skylight.

Also, it is the same bus at 0:53, 1:05, 1:18 & 1:54 where it is more obvious.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

gr8vw4sale wrote:
It is a 23. At 2:07 of the video, you will see a reflection and outline of the front skylight.

Also, it is the same bus at 0:53, 1:05, 1:18 & 1:54 where it is more obvious.

From the first 2 of those time indexes, I agree it's more clear
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lowdown Dirty Rat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

Yep 2x 23s Embarassed
53 with no rear bumper or roof rack.
Latter deluxe with rear bumper and rack.
RockStock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

Top videos. Crawling with Barndoors.

EverettB wrote:
Screen capture of Deluxe near the end of the video above

I believe I see skylight windows

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

body bumper BD at 7:15, a nice panal at 7:40 and there's a Rometsch 4dr split beetle taxi at 8:00 Shocked

Link

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
felix ehrhardt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

10ft doug cruising the coast with kombi life crew and some information about the 55 deluxe.
Very nice vid, get in at 5:25 Cool

https://youtu.be/tAuP6A-pM74
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

Link

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

great to meet Sofie in this video !

Again, the narrator appears to be a bit clueless, not having done his homework properly.
As usual the cargo doors are referred to as 'Barndoors'....even in the accompanying text. can you believe it.... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Link

j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
great to meet Sofie in this video !

Again, the narrator appears to be a bit clueless, not having done his homework properly.
As usual the cargo doors are referred to as 'Barndoors'....even in the accompanying text. can you believe it.... Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Link

Yes, I can easily believe it. The Barndoor name is very confusing to non-bus folks.
Why would the top-hinged rear engine compartment be referred to as a barn door when the side opening cargo doors fit the description much better?

We live in our world of vintage VW buses, the vast majority of people do not.

Yes, it bothers me when Barndoors are described incorrectly, but I do understand the confusion out there.

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

I do understand the confusion with newcomers as well, but this is the worlds oldest registered panel van, straight from Volkswagens own collection and previously owned by the person who owns the barndoor.dk registry. this is a fairly new video by a people's favorite 'magazine', not just any slightly interested in classic cars guy. It goes to show the truth of content these days unfortunately.
Maybe I am a little upset, because lately I read and re-read some of my new and old Type 2 Transporter books, and the amount of false information is breathtaking unfortunately. We still need a book like birth of the beetle from Chris Barber, dedicated to early transporters.

btw in Germany some guys refer to a barndoor as a 'Glatzenbus' - bold headed bus. referring to the smooth front roof peak.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

I thought that was Tonny Larsen's Barndoor, thanks for the confirmation. I wish I could translate the video, I'll have to get my friends & brother in Germany to help.

That book "birth of the beetle by Chris Barber" is crazy money over $500. even on Abe Books which I get rare books from. Thanks for the information. djfordmanjack.

djfordmanjack wrote:
I do understand the confusion with newcomers as well, but this is the worlds oldest registered panel van, straight from Volkswagens own collection and previously owned by the person who owns the barndoor.dk registry. this is a fairly new video by a people's favorite 'magazine', not just any slightly interested in classic cars guy. It goes to show the truth of content these days unfortunately.
Maybe I am a little upset, because lately I read and re-read some of my new and old Type 2 Transporter books, and the amount of false information is breathtaking unfortunately. We still need a book like birth of the beetle from Chris Barber, dedicated to early transporters.

btw in Germany some guys refer to a barndoor as a 'Glatzenbus' - bold headed bus. referring to the smooth front roof peak.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

Linda, the problem with the Chris Barber book is the English version being so expensive and discontinued. look up the split beetle forum and there is a thread on there about it and also some illegal copies and possibly some more reasonable originals.
The German version is still available and cost around €35 or so only !

I wish we had a book like that for early Transporters ( BD) or at least a 400 pg book about the T1 (50-67). I have dozens of T1 books, but most of them are just random collections of pics with the obvious Ben Pon story and lacking in detail or even oftentimes providing false information.
If it wasn't for The Samba and Tonnys barndoor.dk.....we'd be hard pressed for reliable info.

LAGrunthaner wrote:
I thought that was Tonny Larsen's Barndoor, thanks for the confirmation. I wish I could translate the video, I'll have to get my friends & brother in Germany to help.

That book "birth of the beetle by Chris Barber" is crazy money over $500. even on Abe Books which I get rare books from. Thanks for the information. djfordmanjack.

djfordmanjack wrote:

djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

of course I meant BALD headed bus. it could be bold headed as well... Very Happy

djfordmanjack wrote:

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack, thanks. And yes it's unfortunate there aren't any good detailed books of T1's from 50-67. The hard work of many on the Samba/Tonny's sites provide the "truth" and "detailed" information and I'm surprised nobody has worked on a new book to move all of that information into one place, a good book. I remember when I added T1 to my collection I bought every book I could get my hands on and never received true information until these sites. The small details are fasitinating to me and happy to see many others.

Where can I find that German edition at €35? My youngest brother and his GF live in Berlin near one our close friends and once covid gets under control we will be taking a long European vacation and I'll have a great project having them help me translate it. Neither of them are interested in autos but love the German language and are fluent, drawing our friendship's closer after many years of absence Cool

djfordmanjack wrote:
Linda, the problem with the Chris Barber book is the English version being so expensive and discontinued. look up the split beetle forum and there is a thread on there about it and also some illegal copies and possibly some more reasonable originals.
The German version is still available and cost around €35 or so only !

I wish we had a book like that for early Transporters ( BD) or at least a 400 pg book about the T1 (50-67). I have dozens of T1 books, but most of them are just random collections of pics with the obvious Ben Pon story and lacking in detail or even oftentimes providing false information.
If it wasn't for The Samba and Tonnys barndoor.dk.....we'd be hard pressed for reliable info.

LAGrunthaner wrote:

djfordmanjack wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

it appears the new German books are becoming a little rare as well, but still available at reasonable cost here:

https://www.ebay.de/p/30842749

or good used from many sellers ( pretty sure it should still be available new from good sorted shops).

https://www.amazon.de/K%C3%A4fer-Ferdinand-Porsche-Entwicklung-Volkswagens/dp/376881582X

The original German title is 'Der Käfer. Ferdinand Porsche und die Entwicklung des Volkswagens' von Chris Barber.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

LAGrunthaner wrote:
djfordmanjack, thanks. And yes it's unfortunate there aren't any good detailed books of T1's from 50-67. The hard work of many on the Samba/Tonny's sites provide the "truth" and "detailed" information and I'm surprised nobody has worked on a new book to move all of that information into one place, a good book. I remember when I added T1 to my collection I bought every book I could get my hands on and never received true information until these sites. The small details are fasitinating to me and happy to see many others.

it is all a matter of timining i guess, there were 15 million beetles made, almost everybody had one. nowadays you would be hard pressed to find a 1000 barndoors, limits the audience for a nerd book.
I would buy one, though.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

I truly hope that Florian will come up with a coffee table book on the restoration of his Canadian Deluxe ! that will be striking !

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

djfordmanjack wrote:
I truly hope that Florian will come up with a coffee table book on the restoration of his Canadian Deluxe ! that will be striking !

yep. will look good next to the kdf 41 book

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Barndoor Videos Reply with quote

Link

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: