Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 3 automatic trans in a Trike???
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Type 3 automatic trans in a Trike??? Reply with quote

A friend who was building a Type 1 VW based Trike, recently lost his left leg. He's wondering if he could use a Type 3 automatic with the Type 1 frame horns???

The project started with an IRS chassis.

Anyone ever done this?
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done, but the T3 tranny is longer than a standard T1. You'll have a little finageling to do, but since there's no real floorpan or bulkhead to worry about, go for it. Trikes are built this way all the time. Check out www.btw-trikers.org as well.

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
It can be done, but the T3 tranny is longer than a standard T1. You'll have a little finageling to do, but since there's no real floorpan or bulkhead to worry about, go for it. Trikes are built this way all the time. Check out www.btw-trikers.org as well.

Rick

Thank you for the reply!!! I'll check out the link and let him know!!!

Again, thanks!!
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad just bought one of the old Rupp Cantaur trikes that was converted to VW power and an Autostick. I have won the dubious task of finishing the project, so this will be fun. This is my first VW project, although my dad has built a few trikes. I'll post some pics in a new thread when time permits.

Great to see your friend getting involved. The guys at the BTW website seem to be great people.
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michmadman wrote:
My dad just bought one of the old Rupp Cantaur trikes that was converted to VW power and an Autostick. I have won the dubious task of finishing the project, so this will be fun. This is my first VW project, although my dad has built a few trikes. I'll post some pics in a new thread when time permits.

Great to see your friend getting involved. The guys at the BTW website seem to be great people.

I might need info/pictures of what you have...if you could??

The other possibility for my friend is an auto-stick.

If you have any questions about auto-stick's, let me know. I did work on them when I worked in VW dealerships in the 70s.
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this site http://www.angelfire.com/sc/BOBBYNVENUSTRIKEPAGE/history.html

or this http://www.hotautoweb.com/75rupp.html
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:

Rick

I thought about what you wrote...are you sure the auto was longer than a 4-speed? I've transplanted a Type 3 manual directly into an IRS Bug...no difference...what changes between an auto Type 3 and a 4-speed Type 3???

Something I'm missing???
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to add, thanks for the offer on the Autostick info, I just may take you up on that.

How do you post pics on here anyway?
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michmadman wrote:
Forgot to add, thanks for the offer on the Autostick info, I just may take you up on that.

When it comes time you want to post, let me know on this thread and I'll talk/type you through it...or, send me a private message...
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory Trained wrote:
michmadman wrote:

When it comes time you want to post, let me know on this thread and I'll talk/type you through it...or, send me a private message...

Thanks Factory Trained. I appreciate you warming up to a newbie so quickly. I am picking up the project Saturday, so I will have some pics then.

I have been building hot rods and Triumph murdercycles for a while, so most of this will be fairly routine. In addition to the Rupp project, I recently got myself a 1600 VW with a stick and plan on building a trike of my own so pops and I can go riding.

The more I read about the VW's on here, and the manuals I have, I can't wait to tear one apart. They seem to be tons less money to build than what I am ised to.
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michmadman wrote:
Factory Trained wrote:
michmadman wrote:

Thanks Factory Trained. I appreciate you warming up to a newbie so quickly. I am picking up the project Saturday, so I will have some pics then.

I have been building hot rods and Triumph murdercycles for a while, so most of this will be fairly routine. In addition to the Rupp project, I recently got myself a 1600 VW with a stick and plan on building a trike of my own so pops and I can go riding.

The more I read about the VW's on here, and the manuals I have, I can't wait to tear one apart. They seem to be tons less money to build than what I am ised to.

I have no problem helping...be aware, VWs have some unique things about them!!!

I was into Hot Rods in my younger years...now that I'm retired (sort of), I've a 47 Ford Tudor, 53 Chevy 5-window Pickup, my Son's 68 VW and my latest project...an 85 Chevy Short/Wide Pickup, with a 330 HP Chevy Vortec engine.
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory Trained wrote:
michmadman wrote:
Factory Trained wrote:
michmadman wrote:

I was into Hot Rods in my younger years...now that I'm retired (sort of), I've a 47 Ford Tudor, 53 Chevy 5-window Pickup, my Son's 68 VW and my latest project...an 85 Chevy Short/Wide Pickup, with a 330 HP Chevy Vortec engine.

Looks like you need some rehab at the Henry Ford Clinic, lol. Nice grouping of cars. Right now I have a 1956 F100 pick-up that is a 60's custom, the requisite V-8 S-10, and a '68 Triumph Bonneville. Entirely too much to keep maintained. I am now 38, and have had this disease as long as I can remember.
BGEE68 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michmadman wrote:
Factory Trained wrote:
michmadman wrote:
Factory Trained wrote:
michmadman wrote:

Looks like you need some rehab at the Henry Ford Clinic, lol. Nice grouping of cars. Right now I have a 1956 F100 pick-up that is a 60's custom, the requisite V-8 S-10, and a '68 Triumph Bonneville. Entirely too much to keep maintained. I am now 38, and have had this disease as long as I can remember.

Ha ha ha!!! Laughing

I've always liked old Ford Tudors and early Chevy 5-window Pickups!! The Bug is going to get rebuilt for my Son. The 85 Short/Wide Chevy is my primary ride. Sure is great to not have a car payment!!! Laughing Very Happy Laughing

When I was 17, I had a 47 Ford Coupe with a 322 ci 56 Buick nailhead engine and 39 Ford floor shift trans!
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory Trained wrote:
Letterman7 wrote:

Rick

I thought about what you wrote...are you sure the auto was longer than a 4-speed? I've transplanted a Type 3 manual directly into an IRS Bug...no difference...what changes between an auto Type 3 and a 4-speed Type 3???

Something I'm missing???

The bellhousings are different on the automatics due to the torque converter. You also have to make room for all the plumbing parts; the oil canisters, vacuum canisters and all the piping. It's not difficult, just a lot of little pieces that all have to work together Confused .

Michmadman - my trike project is also a Centaur that I'm building (with help) as a mid-engine with an 1835. A labor of love to be sure, but I think the ride in the end will be worth it!

Rick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letterman7, do you happen to have any pics of your Centaur? I hope to be posting some of ours on Sunday night. Ironically, I talked to one of my old timer buddies today who has a speed shop in Illinois, and he was a Rupp dealer for a few years. He had a Centaur when they were new and said it was a lot of fun. I can't wait to take that first ride.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of the frame in progress. I'll get some more recent photos in a day or so; the motor is being test-fit at the moment. The body is basically trash, tragically. The PO decided it was a good idea to V-groove all the spider cracks and then spray bomb the entire body with primer - without fixing the cracks first. So, I get to start from scratch and strip the body once more and do it right, but that's months away yet Sad

Rick
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Trike update Reply with quote

Well, I drove 80 miles oe way to pick up the Rupp today. My dad was meeting me there to help load it, and he drove 3 hours. Well, the guy doesn't answer the phone. We stuck around for 3 hours, and never was able to get in touch with him. He was thinking next weekend for some reason. So I am driving back down on Tuesday night to pick it up. I do promise some pics when I get it home.

Looking forward to posting more on here. You guys are great, alot nicer than other forums I have been on.
michmadman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the Rupp home tonight. Looks better than I had anticiapted actually. I have a few pics I would like to post, but have no idea how. Would someone walk me through the procedure? Thanks!
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madman,
You would need a PhotoBUcket account or some other webhosting photo service. Most of them are free to sign up. Once you're there, you upload photos to their service, then copy and paste the URL link from your photo to the discussion boards. Fairly straightforward. If you want to send the photos to me, I'll post them for you in the time being. Just PM me for my email addy.

Rick
Gadgetman.jack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Trike w/Type 3 Automatic! Reply with quote

I am working on my girlfriends trike right now! It's a custom built (not by me though!) trike that was built for a lady with no left leg. Front end (wheel to the seat) is late 70's model Harley Ultra Classic. From the seat reward is a type 3 automatic transaxle (I am trying to identify the model year, etc.), and on the rear end is an S&S V-Twin!!

I have some photos to post but don't know how to attach them. I'm new on here looking for a little help on the rear transmission mounts. It was sort of mickey-moused and I'm trying to fix that, but I can't find anything that shows how it was mounted originally in a car!

If anyone here wants to see photos, send me an e-mail ([email protected]) and I'll send them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: