Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

67 wheel width & lowering question
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: 67 wheel width & lowering question Reply with quote

Hammered the search but I'm still not sure, so here goes... Question

My car=stock 67 (dec. 66 build date) (long axles/short spline)

I am looking at purchasing a set of 15x5.5 wheels, probably the eagle 5-spokes. I have a good set of 195/60/15's I plan to run on these wheels.

My questions is whether or not they will rub, and if I can drop the front (about 2-3" w/beam adjusters) and still be ok.

Any objections or recommendations?? Also, pics of your 67 would be awesome!!

Thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rub. I just finished lowering my 67 with dropped spindles and a narrowed ajustable front beam. I have 5" wide BRM's with 145's and they just barely clear so perhaps your tires may be too large.
estofer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 66 with 5" brm with 145's as well and I have 2" drop spindles and a narrowed (2") beam. I have no problems at all. I did have problems with the tires rubbing the fender wells in the front before I narrowed the beam. Your tires will more than likely rub in the front.

estofer
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys...
I don't want to go quite as low as estofer...my car is a daily driver and our roads here suck azz.......but maybe I should consider a narrowed beam anyways.

How much can you lower with beam adjusters and still maintain a "close to stock" suspension geometry?? Right now, my car sits a bit higher in the front than in the rear-this is what I'm trying to get away from.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwblue1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on my 67 i had drop spindles and adj. beam- stock wheels and tires just barely rubbed not enough to even think about, when i went to 5.5 wheels and 195-50 it rubbed pretty bad so i took offthe spindles and it was all good---now the 205-40s rub a little so im gonna chop the beam and put the spindles back on
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
artie325
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blue 1967, How wide are the rims that you have on the car now? Those are 17 inch GTI rims right?
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

risk wrote:
thanks guys...
I don't want to go quite as low as estofer...my car is a daily driver and our roads here suck azz.......but maybe I should consider a narrowed beam anyways.

How much can you lower with beam adjusters and still maintain a "close to stock" suspension geometry?? Right now, my car sits a bit higher in the front than in the rear-this is what I'm trying to get away from.

2 inch narrow would put the tires back close to your stock location. should be able to still run shock towers. think you can buy up to 4inch narrow and still have towers on them. Might think ahead a little if you want to run disk someday, most kits have a offset of one inch . so You might go with a three inch beam . then you would have the width to handle disks. I would go 3'' or 4'' IMO . I hate when the tires stick out. Evil or Very Mad
henrym
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2" narrowed beam on my body work just barely clears the inner sheet metal, so close you can just slide a sheet of paper between it (and its never been wrecked).

The nose of a 67 is supposed to ride high from what I hear, helps the handling. Don't forget caster shims when lowering!
Chuck_G
AKA Growler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4" beam with factory shock towers, CB discs, 5" BRMs (flat 4) w/ 185/60 goodyears, CB spindles and Berg adjusters, short axles in the rear w/ adjustable springplates, 205/60 goodyears in back. It just clears speed bumps and ruts left by trucks, I tried lower but was hitting everything in sight, this is my happy medium. Also, I have a sump to think about, I've torn a plate off before and it was no fucking fun.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You can still go wherever you want to go and haul ass on the highway without stressing out about road hazards.

henrym wrote:

The nose of a 67 is supposed to ride high from what I hear, helps the handling.

Blasphemy.
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! You guys got me on the right track for sure. Now all I have to do is work the corner and save up some cash Very Happy

Growler, v. nice ride.....looks a bit like mine (at least the color)...
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to run 205/70' on my '67, but after I added the CB Wide 5 disc kit, there was no way it was going work. I ended up going with 195/65's for now, until I swap in my short axles.

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw wrote:
I was going to run 205/70' on my '67, but after I added the CB Wide 5 disc kit, there was no way it was going work. I ended up going with 195/65's for now, until I swap in my short axles.

What front-end setup are you running? Also, is that an og honda 70cc 3wheeler? nice rides, very nice.
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 2" narrowed adj. beam......with discs. Yeah, 70cc Honda. Wink

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chuck_G
AKA Growler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotrodvw,

Did you measure the rear before and after to determine the track increase with the rear disc kit? I'm curious how much it's going to push out my wheels.
vwblue1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

artie325 wrote:
blue 1967, How wide are the rims that you have on the car now? Those are 17 inch GTI rims right?

a yeeah 17x7 runnin stock width beam +disc
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Growler wrote:
Hotrodvw,

Did you measure the rear before and after to determine the track increase with the rear disc kit? I'm curious how much it's going to push out my wheels.

No I didn't, I didn't realize it was going to ad any more rear track width. I was actually at CB Perf. last week, and gave them an ear full. You'd think that since they had developed this kit, they would know exactly how much it would ad. They didn't have a damn clue. Their guess was 1/4-1/2". I said......"Well, I'm here to tell ya, you're wrong. It's every bit of a solid inch." I'm running 196/65's now, but when I swap in my shorter axles, I'm going to try to squeeze in some 205/70's. I'm hoping by the end of the project, the rear track will be back to an approximate stock width. Rolling Eyes

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, heres my planned setup:

4" narrowed/adjustable beam w/towers

2.5" drop spindles for drum brakes from CIP1

15x5.5 American Eagle 5spokes

195/60/15 tires all around

Comments??
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that 195/60's would be pretty wide for a front tire.......Buy the rears, then try to fit one of them up front before you buy them.

lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
risk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got four nearly new tires for free so if they don't work it won't set me back anything. Plus, my friend has a brand new snap-on tire machine that I can use Very Happy Very Happy It makes tire swappin fun if that's possible.

B.T.W. I just found the sticky on ball-joint lowering in the late model forum....never thought to look there Confused
volkswagenut
Samba's Big Jerk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a good plan , nothing real wild . so it should all work easy. If you want you can always swap out the axles in the back to get more tire room or just to get more tire tuck . I always liked the earlier cars with short axles when they are lowered. Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: