Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Porsche904 wrote:
neither VW nor Porsche related...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2139187
Did you hit the report button to let Everett know this?

I just moved it to Other and contacted the seller
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

This is a joke right?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2142563
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

sled wrote:
This is a joke right?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2142563

...May be the "joke" is showing it in a garage heaped with leaves and unrelated clutter... Confused Rolling Eyes
Good luck with that. Idea
And getting that 'Mecums/Christie's/Gooding &Co.' price. Wink
Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2146364

Wrong rear apron, generator, carburetor, distributor, intake manifold etc,etc. Also VIN is listed as 10454417 which puts it in October 1953 so not a zwitter.

Don
volksair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2146364

Wrong rear apron, generator, carburetor, distributor, intake manifold etc,etc. Also VIN is listed as 10454417 which puts it in October 1953 so not a zwitter.

Don

Stated VIN puts it in early March 1953, and according to sources, first oval was chassis 1-0454951.
You are absolutely right, some incorrect parts.

Last edited by volksair on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:58 am; edited 1 time in total
oldovaldriver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Volksair indicates the VIN is indeed a Zwitter, exactly as the seller says. I found confirmation in Lawrence Merideth's "Original VW Beetle," p. 44.

The seller lists the car's positive points, as any seller would. Nowhere is it said or implied that every part is original, and few buyers would expect so from a 65-year-old car in South America. In fact the seller describes the car's condition as "3 - good," a humble enough assessment. So why not some positivity with the criticism?

I am wary of holding all these old cars to the highest possible standard, and in the process possibly sowing bad blood. If our commentary is merely informative, fine. But I sense a different slant, that somehow perfection is the new expected norm. If your own car is a perfect time-capsule (unlikely), good for you. But please don't run down otherwise good cars, or their sellers by implication.

I've been around VWs since the 1960s. The Volkswagen was (hopefully still is?) a unique automotive phenomenon, with unique impact on the world. I am heartened by the continued enthusiasm a half century later, but dismayed how some of us now view VWs as investments, museum pieces, or ego props. As an historian myself, I feel it misses the point. Go read John Muir or Think Small! This new obsession can even be tragic. I've seen good project cars sacrificed for their parts, just to make other restorations more "perfect." The value of the remaining cars may rise, but the overall number of survivors goes down. This may be good as a monetary investment, but it hurts the community. Fewer early cars on the road. Fewer early projects for newcomers. Fewer new memories for the young.

I do appreciate the spirit of originality, but I don't mind a few reproduction and later parts on a well-loved VW like this one. That's what replacement parts are for--keeping our cars and memories alive. This looks like a nice car. In Bogota no less! I'd love to hear the stories it could tell, if only I spoke Spanish.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:
Stated VIN puts it in early March 1953, and according to sources, first oval was chassis 1-0454951.

You are right! How did I make that mistake?

Don
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Pretty sure this is a 36 manifold, not a 25 as advertised
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2149995
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Pretty sure this is a 36 manifold, not a 25 as advertised
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2149995

that got updated quick!
12/62 French 11 Window Bus

EverettB wrote:
chromies should be outlawed and thrown in the trash

Pandraggers C.C.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

notified him that I thought they were 36.
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2153961

For that much money ($680 for a split pass door window regulator, NOS) it should at least be the left side one that seems to wear out 100x faster then the right side.... Rolling Eyes

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klubbs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2113374

Inner structure looks early oval?

Or were they made in oval era as a replacement and adapted for split?
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

moondog wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2113374

Inner structure looks early oval?

Or were they made in oval era as a replacement and adapted for split?

it's the factory made replacement door for split and early oval, fits both types from at least 47/48 until 55
awreed
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2157200

Does this count as completely restored still if it's in pieces and some of those pieces are missing (seat covers, door handles, keys)?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

awreed wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2157200

Does this count as completely restored still if it's in pieces and some of those pieces are missing (seat covers, door handles, keys)?

definitely not.

some people, I tell ya..
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Seen this shell for sale, for years! Decent shape, but obviously not that motivated. Wink https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2131554
René R.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

1952?? Confused eBay link.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Quote:
Frame off restoration 1952 on a 1957 pan, titled 1952, no expense spared on this completely frame of restored masterpiece

Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

René R. wrote:

Quote:
Frame off restoration 1952 on a 1957 pan, titled 1952, no expense spared on this completely frame of restored masterpiece

what's wrong? it's a 52' Zwitter
volksair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Porsche904 wrote:
René R. wrote:

Quote:

what's wrong? it's a 52' Zwitter

Please forgive me Porsche904, but as hard as I look at it, I cannot find anything '52 , or Zwitter for that matter, on this vehicle. I will have to agree with Rene...
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Quote:

The doors and what is visible of the door jam suggest it's post '55. The ash tray backs that up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 134, 135, 136 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Page 135 of 157

Jump to: