Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

What are your thoughts on this 52 for sale?

https://www.niche-motors.com/available/1952-beetle-standard

My buddy is in the market for a split and asked for my opinion. I am into buses, so I defer to the experts. I can see the front fenders look wrong with the oval horn grills and the tail lights are wrong. The decklid has has repairs done badly on the bottom. The front trunk lower tire area looks to have repairs done badly and the heater channels look to be rusted.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

ronjonlasvegas wrote:

My buddy is in the market for a split and asked for my opinion. I am into buses, so I defer to the experts. I can see the front fenders look wrong with the oval horn grills and the tail lights are wrong. The decklid has has repairs done badly on the bottom. The front trunk lower tire area looks to have repairs done badly and the heater channels look to be rusted.

well...where do we start!? you're right the front fenders, and most likely rear fenders are wrong. The front hood and decklid are not correct, as well as having some funky metal along the lower edge as you mentioned. the front end looks to have been hit HARD at some point and repaired quite poorly as the front quarter panels look mangled and the area behind the spare tire is quite rough. The rear has been hit hard as well with complete rear quarter replaced. The pan halves look 'correct' but very suspect with all that nasty goop slathered all over them?? Running boards are later not split. Doors do not have check rods so be careful when opening them they don't spring the hinges. Doors are missing the scrapers and I can't tell if the window channels are even in place? Semaphores are not split semaphores. Seat upholstery and door panels are very sad looking, and not correct for the car. Carpet kit looks like a cheapo jobby and is not correct for a standard, it should have a rubber mat on the bottom of the front bulkhead and a rubber mat over part of the tunnel (no carpet) Tons of extra holes in the engine bay firewall with no fuse block and 'interesting' looking wiring (not original) funny how all the fuses in the front of the car are red..

last but not least that engine does NOT look like the original engine, or it is molested, as the number stamping is not original. it seems to have some weird plate screwed over the original stamping and a new stamping crudely done below? It appears to be a 25 case/engine but maybe when the original case failed, they swapped it and re-stamped it to 'fake the funk' for registration purposes? Incorrect parts as well like fan shroud, air cleaner, regulator, coil etc, which are costly to source.

...just my quick observations from the photos. Laughing
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Buyer beware, if serious take along a knowledgeable split window person, or do your homework....asking price is not necessarily the going price, also make certain you know your split shit, let them know of wazup with car.
Cheers Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

sled wrote:
ronjonlasvegas wrote:

well...where do we start!? you're right the front fenders, and most likely rear fenders are wrong. The front hood and decklid are not correct, as well as having some funky metal along the lower edge as you mentioned. the front end looks to have been hit HARD at some point and repaired quite poorly as the front quarter panels look mangled and the area behind the spare tire is quite rough. The rear has been hit hard as well with complete rear quarter replaced. The pan halves look 'correct' but very suspect with all that nasty goop slathered all over them?? Running boards are later not split. Doors do not have check rods so be careful when opening them they don't spring the hinges. Doors are missing the scrapers and I can't tell if the window channels are even in place? Semaphores are not split semaphores. Seat upholstery and door panels are very sad looking, and not correct for the car. Carpet kit looks like a cheapo jobby and is not correct for a standard, it should have a rubber mat on the bottom of the front bulkhead and a rubber mat over part of the tunnel (no carpet) Tons of extra holes in the engine bay firewall with no fuse block and 'interesting' looking wiring (not original) funny how all the fuses in the front of the car are red..

last but not least that engine does NOT look like the original engine, or it is molested, as the number stamping is not original. it seems to have some weird plate screwed over the original stamping and a new stamping crudely done below? It appears to be a 25 case/engine but maybe when the original case failed, they swapped it and re-stamped it to 'fake the funk' for registration purposes? Incorrect parts as well like fan shroud, air cleaner, regulator, coil etc, which are costly to source.

...just my quick observations from the photos. Laughing

Thanks for the detailed information. I forwarded it along to my friend and he is going to pass on this car.
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

And NO crotch coolers. A hastily done f-ed over resto.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
And NO crotch coolers. A hastily done f-ed over resto.

standards did not have crotch coolers...

Shocked
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Ah yes. The chrome and trim fooled me. Who really knows, though?

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Yikes!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2251206
Porsche904
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
Yikes!

...it says good condition Brick wall Brick wall
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

they are idiots. that is a $25 piece.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2251451

The ad says these would "set your split or oval apart from all the rest"
yes, because the card they're on shows they're for a square window beetle! Wink
Kais Collection Premium Member
vintage treasures

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:

Laughing Laughing

BTW they're not that rare.. Wink

Kai's Collection - vintage treasures
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:

They work on all ovals and splits. They are more effective on pre-55 cars where the early latch doesn't secure the door very well.
bwaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2252059
upped the price.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

bwaz wrote:
upped the price.

LOL as the ad states" price is FIRM so watchers don't expect that this ad is going to reduce in price throughout the years.... the opposite will be true. "

Um OK...good luck with that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

Go easy on this guy. Mental health is a real issue.....

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
bwaz wrote:
upped the price.

LOL as the ad states" price is FIRM so watchers don't expect that this ad is going to reduce in price throughout the years.... the opposite will be true. "

What was it before? I have it as 600 Euro when first posted.

So obviously the price did reduce. Smile

The Ad wrote:
The whole assembly is rockhard and in very nice condition

It doesn't look like it
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
bwaz wrote:
upped the price.

The Ad wrote:

It doesn't look like it

Everett,
This was the original ad.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

FRK wrote:
EverettB wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
bwaz wrote:
upped the price.

The Ad wrote:

It doesn't look like it

Everett,

Well obviously it needs to be 550 Euro now with the Saint Christopher badge. Rolling Eyes
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine/discussion about Split cars/parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
FRK wrote:
EverettB wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
bwaz wrote:
upped the price.

The Ad wrote:

It doesn't look like it

Everett,

Well obviously it needs to be 550 Euro now with the Saint Christopher badge. Rolling Eyes

Laughing Laughing
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 139, 140, 141 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Jump to:
Page 140 of 157

Jump to: