Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car values
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:42 am    Post subject: Car values Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've been noticing for a while now that car values must be in decline as a number of cars across the VW board are not selling for there prices & have been on the forum for a time.
Is this due to the world economic problems or just value corrections
Thanks Dave
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Not sure, but my parts and restoration business dealings have definately been REALLY slow for well over a year now.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Hard to generalize, but I would guess that inflation and interest rate worries (even worse outside of the USA, which is whining and politicizing it...) are making people hesitate to buy big ticket "lifestyle" items these days.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
my3bugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

here in california a fast food burger today is almost 10 clams . sometimes we gota eat first Smile its not just in this hobby IMHO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

my3bugs wrote:
here in california a fast food burger today is almost 10 clams . sometimes we gota eat first Smile its not just in this hobby IMHO

Especially since we are now paying them $20/hour.
This is not an April Fool's joke.
Retired:
'67 Beetle
'65 Beetle (x2)
'65 Bus
'71 Squareback
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

The parts I sell have been extremely slow this year, even now with people getting their tax returns. Restaurants we frequent have been less and less busy. Tons of cheap projects and tools on Marketplace, finished cars are down. We have a '74 C10 that we're thinking might only sell for half of what they were going for about a year ago; partially due to market correction and partially due to the overall economy.

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10

Last edited by theastronaut on Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

dave1 wrote:
Hi all,
I've been noticing for a while now that car values must be in decline as a number of cars across the VW board are not selling for there prices & have been on the forum for a time.
Is this due to the world economic problems or just value corrections
Thanks Dave

Interesting that you should come up with this observation, as it's a subject I've talked about with friends, both in retail business & auto fans, on a number of occasions. There is no doubt that the UK economy and others have been hit hard, and unless you're wealthy, most of us are now being careful with what we spend on. Let's face it, spending on an old VW is a luxury, and one many can't afford at the moment, and this is reflected in sales of just about everything.

As for car values, I happened to be looking at Classic Cars for sale on Ebay recently, something I don't generally do, as I'm not looking to buy another vehicle, but astounded to see how asking prices are much lower than when I last looked. VW prices are still greatly elevated when compared to other vehicles, but whether they sell or not is another matter. Most noticable is the decrease in pre-war car values, which we believe is due to the generation(s) that coveted them, no longer being around.

Despite the generally inflated values on Samba, I think the situation of few sales is duplicated everywhere from what I hear. What the end result is, who knows?, but if you like a vehicle, like I do my Kubel, and what you've always desired, then it matters not whether it's worth £500 or £50,000, although it's nice to think that it's a nest egg if required, when you need that life saving operation!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BruceFD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Martin Southwell wrote:
Most noticable is the decrease in pre-war car values, which we believe is due to the generation(s) that coveted them, no longer being around.

I think is the most accurate reason as to why values are coming down. I think people are into the cars they had in their youth. Coming from the Japanese Import automotive hobby, I can tell you over the last few years prices for 80's and 90's Japanese cars are sky high now. I think that's largely due to everyone wanting the 'hot rod' they had (or wish they had) in High School, very similar to the Muscle Car boom.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

BruceFD wrote:
Martin Southwell wrote:
Most noticable is the decrease in pre-war car values, which we believe is due to the generation(s) that coveted them, no longer being around.

I think is the most accurate reason as to why values are coming down. I think people are into the cars they had in their youth. Coming from the Japanese Import automotive hobby, I can tell you over the last few years prices for 80's and 90's Japanese cars are sky high now. I think that's largely due to everyone wanting the 'hot rod' they had (or wish they had) in High School, very similar to the Muscle Car boom.

80s/90s Water-cooled VWs are insane prices now too.

Look up some recent auctions on Bring A Trailer, everything is like 10x what I paid for similar cars I owned in the early 2000s.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

One positive is that the Volkswagen hobby has continued to draw in young enthusiasts, which is certainly not the case for many other cars of the same eras. When I go to VW events, yes there are older folks there that have been into the scene since well before I was born, but there are younger people that are very much into them too.

When I go to muscle car events, that youth is just not there-with little exception it is a sea of grey and white hair.

I also own a couple of Model A Fords, and this is an interesting one-I bought my first ten years ago when I was 40, and I was MUCH younger than most of the other guys at the club meetings and events. What I have noticed is that is seems that this hobby has skipped a generation: the same 60, 70, and 80 something year old crowd seems to be the vast majority, but then there are folks much younger than me that are into them and own cars-even a couple of high school and college age kids are in our local club and they have cars. Its like grandpa was into them, dad could care less, but now the grandkids are starting to appreciate them.

But yes while it does appear that VW values are overall down, good examples are still bringing very good money. There are a LOT of cobbled together, poorly done Volkswagens out there, and in my opinion, those should not bring good money. But nice examples are still commanding high prices-and it is nice to see good examples of late model VWs, including Super Beetles and Type 3s, getting money that no one ever dreamed they would. Glad to see people start to appreciate these cars too.

So values may rise and fall, but I think that there will always be people willing to spend good money on good Volkswagens, and that the scene, while it will never be as large as its heyday, will continue to be strong. VWs are still seen as cool by the younger generations, not to mention that they are still practical as actual cars. You still see them in ads for clothing, travel, etc., they are readily available at all different price points so it is not impossible for a person on a tight budget to get into.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Interesting conversation.

As soon as interest rates shot up collectable car prices plummeted here in Australia.

It indicates to me that perhaps buyers were financing these purchases with borrowed money and in fact perhaps increasing their house mortgages to do so. To some it felt like free money and with such low interest rates you can see how they could be coerced by unscrupulous lenders.

We had 1971 GT Falcons going for a million dollars. Good luck servicing that debt now.

And as previously stated the younger people are simply not into cars like we were. Very few are interested in the trades and even fewer can swing a hammer or spanner.

Imagine living at home until 35 trying to get a house deposit together and spending 70k on a 54 Beetle purchase or resto - I think not.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

also we broke af. more than 1/3 of my friends are in their 30s and 40s with college degrees, working in those fields and unable to afford homes. i live in a low cost of living state. nobody is buying a project car if they live in an apartment.

boomers had so much excess that they consider having something like the space to keep an extra car to be normal. i have friends working advanced degree careers whose entire apartments are smaller than my garage.

markendee wrote:
Very few are interested in the trades and even fewer can swing a hammer or spanner.

well thats cause we use a pneumatic driver and an impact wrench old man.

here are some of my thoughts on prices and this hobby:

since i started paying attention in 2021 prices and demand have been constant down.

this is in line with what i have seen in the other hobbies that centered on the baby boomers (coins, harleys, baseball) most hobbies peak for a single generation. there may be others that care before and after but its always a cultural phenemonon. like elvis collectibles, hummel dolls or fine china.

to put it another way - the kids who grew up and still want to replay original NES nintendo games represent a constantly shrinking demographic. today they are going up in price. you have to pry them away from someone who cared for them for 40 years. soon nobody will have nostalgia for the games of my childhood. nobody will care any more.

old bugs are nostalgic for boomers. they dont hold that ephemeral memory for as many in the younger generations. we love them and will be happy to play with them but they arent our first love and we need houses and medicine and things like that first so...
Martin Southwell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

What you are describing in the latter part of your piece above, is what is known as 'The Hierachy Of Needs'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow%27s_hierarchy_of_needs
azmodela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:

I also own a couple of Model A Fords, and this is an interesting one-I bought my first ten years ago when I was 40, and I was MUCH younger than most of the other guys at the club meetings and events. What I have noticed is that is seems that this hobby has skipped a generation: the same 60, 70, and 80 something year old crowd seems to be the vast majority, but then there are folks much younger than me that are into them and own cars-even a couple of high school and college age kids are in our local club and they have cars.

I own Model A’s too, and am slightly younger than you. Let’s not forget, you’re 50 now. That 60 year old person in your club today was 50, 10 years ago.

I don’t think anyone’s age in a club is relevant to gauging the age of the hobby. The age someone got into the hobby is more relevant. I know Model A guys in their 60’s and 70’s that had their cars for 40-50 years now. Just like I know a lot of VW guys from the 90’s that were teenagers, and we’re all approaching our 50’s.

Are today’s teens and 20 year olds getting into the hobby today?
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Is this starting to sound like a “General/Chat” topic?
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Jimone wrote:

markendee wrote:
Very few are interested in the trades and even fewer can swing a hammer or spanner.

well thats cause we use a pneumatic driver and an impact wrench old man.

Ouch!
L21pearlgrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

Something I’ve definitely noticed within the UK market. There are also very few early cars coming up for sale, I feel this has been the case for the past few years now. I’m not sure whether it’s the case well known cars are sold amongst those who know rather than coming to market. The Historic Volkswagen Club (UK) would always have a few cars in the classifieds but have not had anything of note for a long time.
olo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

I think the element of hybrid and electric cars pays a huge role nowadays, market expectations are changing and people are getting more comfortable and don’t see a value in driving older cars. But when electric conversions for classic cars become more affordable this may change focus back onto them, purists may not disagree but I think generational expectations will change thiings around a bit
chicagovw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

I own Model A’s too, and am slightly younger than you. Let’s not forget, you’re 50 now. That 60 year old person in your club today was 50, 10 years ago.

Where in AZ are you? I have a '30 Fordor that I drove from Chicago to my house in Chandler last summer with my then 13 year old son. And yes that is very true.
azmodela
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Car values Reply with quote

chicagovw wrote:

Where in AZ are you? I have a '30 Fordor that I drove from Chicago to my house in Chandler last summer with my then 13 year old son. And yes that is very true.

I’m in Tucson. I drive mine extensively throughout the country too. I’ll be at the national meet with one of them in Ruidoso, NM in June.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: