Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
$1,200 R/P (OEM) - better ideas?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Classicvibe
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2009
Posts: 737
Location: Salt Lake City
Classicvibe is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: $1,200 R/P (OEM) - better ideas? Reply with quote

Of course my inexpensive transmission rebuild has turned to the dark side. 4th is kissed (no big deal) and the Ring and Pinion has a small chip. So I am quoted $1,200 for the OEM R/P, and this hurts the part of me that likes to spend money wisely and not get shafted. I think the question I am staging here is, can I find a cheaper OEM R/P, and, is there a good aftermarket solution that is a suitable replacement for the OEM? I have seen them out there at 1/2 the price. Does anyone have some experience to share, or perhaps a thread that exists that I have not found in my search?
_________________
On a mission, the destination is just an excuse.

Syncro Solstice 2019...you goin?

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaric.H
Samba Member


Joined: March 28, 2009
Posts: 2529
Location: Sandy Springs GA
Alaric.H is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little chip do you have a picture?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2009
Posts: 737
Location: Salt Lake City
Classicvibe is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alaric, but I do not. I sent it off to Rancho in Fullerton for the rebuild, and they just reported back to me.
_________________
On a mission, the destination is just an excuse.

Syncro Solstice 2019...you goin?

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mwsnow
Samba Member


Joined: November 13, 2007
Posts: 266
Location: Alton, NH
mwsnow is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you called AA Transaxle or Weddle?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Classifieds Feedback
GBA 88West LA
Samba Member


Joined: September 04, 2008
Posts: 1279
Location: New Hampshire
GBA 88West LA is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

call daryl at AA , he will do you right
_________________
88 Westy GL Vanaru 07 2.5 EJ25/AA Trans/oiling plates, 1.14 3rd-.77-4th..solar powered cabin
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landsailer
Samba Member


Joined: May 02, 2011
Posts: 189
Location: Seattle
Landsailer is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had Daryl rebuild my Syncro trans in July (incredible work, just incredible) and I needed a new ring and pinion. $1300. I talked to the only guy who rebuilds VW transaxles in Alaska about r/p prices; $1300. I just chalked it up to the price of owning a Syncro. Daryl was really clear about the cost of those parts and how he just carries it over and doesn't mark it up. So at least you are saving a $100.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SL12572
Samba Member


Joined: April 13, 2011
Posts: 270
Location: Washington
SL12572 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe

Give Gary Zink a call 253-631-4004

I just had him do my transaxle and he's got a lot of parts. He's also very reasonable on his prices



Scott
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei


Joined: May 18, 2005
Posts: 9703
Location: San Diego
r39o is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Thanks Alaric, but I do not. I sent it off to Rancho in Fullerton for the rebuild, and they just reported back to me.

What Alaric is getting at is that the chip may be smoothed and live with it. But you have to see a picture to get an idea.

They have my good used 4th there, as I put in a different ratio. I am sure they have extras as they put some used parts in mine.

I am betting they are out of good used R&Ps. You can always gamble on a used box and have it gone through. I was about to do that, but decided to chance on my only slightly defective one as I had to take it out anyways for engine work.

On the flip side a new R&P will be quiet. My 200K+ rebuilt box makes various wihines every now and then just depending on a lot of things. But, I think my R&P must still be meshing well as I do not hear the noise I would associate with a worn out R&P.

Ask Rancho if they can smooth it out and chance it. Check for cracks, of course. Get a feel for what they think. They do really know what they are doing just like many other builders. Maybe they can find a good used one, which is a crap shoot too as it may be noisey too.

Explore you options. Didn't you really want to change final ratios anyways????
_________________
"Use the SEARCH, Luke" But first visit the Vanagon FAQ!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2009
Posts: 737
Location: Salt Lake City
Classicvibe is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
Classicvibe wrote:
Thanks Alaric, but I do not. I sent it off to Rancho in Fullerton for the rebuild, and they just reported back to me.

What Alaric is getting at is that the chip may be smoothed and live with it. But you have to see a picture to get an idea.

They have my good used 4th there, as I put in a different ratio. I am sure they have extras as they put some used parts in mine.

I am betting they are out of good used R&Ps. You can always gamble on a used box and have it gone through. I was about to do that, but decided to chance on my only slightly defective one as I had to take it out anyways for engine work.

On the flip side a new R&P will be quiet. My 200K+ rebuilt box makes various wihines every now and then just depending on a lot of things. But, I think my R&P must still be meshing well as I do not hear the noise I would associate with a worn out R&P.

Ask Rancho if they can smooth it out and chance it. Check for cracks, of course. Get a feel for what they think. They do really know what they are doing just like many other builders. Maybe they can find a good used one, which is a crap shoot too as it may be noisey too.

Explore you options. Didn't you really want to change final ratios anyways????


That is some great info, thanks R39o

I was changing out my 4th ratio, but I am having trouble justifying it now based on the larger tires and the abilities of the new engine. A used 4th is like $50 so that is all good. I am kicking around your thoughts on the R&P, and I will send him an email now asking if a refurb is possible. I suppose Rancho will not be interested in a warranty on that work, but on the other hand, the warranty with a non-stock engine is 6 months so it is somewhat useless anyway.

Back to the .77 4th. I would like some good highway cruising, and for tires I am considering 215/70/15 or 215/75/15, but it appears things roll just find with the stock gearing (according to the Bostig site calculator), so I abandoned that 4th options. Perhaps you are suggesting different ratios throughout?

I am emailing them now.
_________________
On a mission, the destination is just an excuse.

Syncro Solstice 2019...you goin?

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei


Joined: May 18, 2005
Posts: 9703
Location: San Diego
r39o is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from a .85 to a .82 4th.

I am driving 195R14 tires right now.

It is just fine that way.

I am going up to a 216/65-16 when I finally get all my parts together for a big bang front end job and bigger brakes. I have the tires and CLK rims and some of the bushings and what not. But not all, yet.

I was not willing to go to the .77 as the EJ22 is not "that" strong to pull that around my part of the world. With the .77 should come a different 3rd to fill the gap and, again, I just was unsure the engine could pull that to my liking. I think I am kind of right based and driving it around the way it is right now.
_________________
"Use the SEARCH, Luke" But first visit the Vanagon FAQ!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Landsailer
Samba Member


Joined: May 02, 2011
Posts: 189
Location: Seattle
Landsailer is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe,

Not to threadjack, but I take it by your mention that you are using or will use the Bostig Conversion. I have the set up you are talking about, stock Syncro gearing on a westy with 215/75R15 BFG's with a Bostig setup. If this is what you are planning on using, there are things you should know. Jim at Bostig suggested highly that I choose a smaller diameter tire setup. 215/75R15 is at the bleeding edge of what the Zetec will push around without adjusting gearing or running the turbo. It was also suggested that I keep stock gearing (which I was already planning on doing). As for how the tire size affect power, it's not bad. There is a small improvement over a stock 2.1. The take off seems better, but in the high gears you suffer a bit if you aren't way up in the RPM's. But the bonus is the RPM's. I can do most passes here in 4th (excluding low gear in count) or 3rd. You don't have to worry about being at 4500 rpm or 5000 rpm because the engine is a tank (f'ing scary though, so I don't do it much). But I live at a relatively low altitude. Even the passes up here don't go too high. If you are in the mountains and running it without the turbo, I would imagine you will suffer a loss of power with that tire size. Just throwing in my small but hopefully relevant experience.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Classicvibe
Samba Member


Joined: August 03, 2009
Posts: 737
Location: Salt Lake City
Classicvibe is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landsailer wrote:
Classicvibe,

Not to threadjack, but I take it by your mention that you are using or will use the Bostig Conversion. I have the set up you are talking about, stock Syncro gearing on a westy with 215/75R15 BFG's with a Bostig setup. If this is what you are planning on using, there are things you should know. Jim at Bostig suggested highly that I choose a smaller diameter tire setup. 215/75R15 is at the bleeding edge of what the Zetec will push around without adjusting gearing or running the turbo. It was also suggested that I keep stock gearing (which I was already planning on doing). As for how the tire size affect power, it's not bad. There is a small improvement over a stock 2.1. The take off seems better, but in the high gears you suffer a bit if you aren't way up in the RPM's. But the bonus is the RPM's. I can do most passes here in 4th (excluding low gear in count) or 3rd. You don't have to worry about being at 4500 rpm or 5000 rpm because the engine is a tank (f'ing scary though, so I don't do it much). But I live at a relatively low altitude. Even the passes up here don't go too high. If you are in the mountains and running it without the turbo, I would imagine you will suffer a loss of power with that tire size. Just throwing in my small but hopefully relevant experience.


This is really good information, thanks. It confirms what I have heard, and what I was hoping, although the tire size is a bit of a concern, but a 215 is fine. And yes, it is a Bostig, that just shipped I might add! WOOT!

As far as the turbo goes, I don't even know the price, although I speculate it is $4k+. Of course that sounds nice. I generally do not like Turbo as they are too unpredictable, but I drove my Buddy John's Zetec Turbo and it was very smooth and nice.

Regarding the R/P, I received the following when I asked about smoothing it out:
Quote:
Where the pit is it will keep cracking and chipping away and more and more until it fails completely.

_________________
On a mission, the destination is just an excuse.

Syncro Solstice 2019...you goin?

1986.5 Wolfsburg Syncro Westfalia Poptop Weekender
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
r39o
Samba Polizei


Joined: May 18, 2005
Posts: 9703
Location: San Diego
r39o is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Classicvibe wrote:
Regarding the R/P, I received the following when I asked about smoothing it out:
Quote:
Where the pit is it will keep cracking and chipping away and more and more until it fails completely.

In other words it is in a bad spot.

So either get a new ring and pinion or find a good used one (via a parts transmission, for example.)

So they have not used ones?
_________________
"Use the SEARCH, Luke" But first visit the Vanagon FAQ!

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB