Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch or linkage problem??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
M_atthewanderson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Clutch or linkage problem?? Reply with quote

Clutch or linkage,

I have a 1980 2.0 fed 7 passenger Vanagon.

The shifting and play on the stick have grown a lot recently and I was thinking that the linkage needed to be adjusted. Due to how busy I am with work and new wife I am taking it to wolfsburg motorwerks in Seattle on Monday the mechanic I always use. The more I am at work thinking about it the more my mind drifts into ifs and maybes of greater problems.

I have never had a clutch go out on me and could not find anything through ratwell or the search of symptoms.

It is hard to shift into first and third. I have to try it a few times for first trying someplace new each time and third I have to push far right to get it in. but second and fourth are fine. Is this common with a failing clutch.

I do not drive it to prevent further problems but does this sound like a clutch or linkage issue.

Thanks

Matthew
ckissick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience, a clutch that is going just starts to slip, and does not affect the ability to shift as you describe it. There's a good chance you'll just need some adjustments in the various parts of the linkage assembly, and maybe the replacement of some worn parts.
ghar21
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my van had trouble gettine into all gears and would get stuck if you could get it in gear. and even jump out of gear at times. when i took off the pressure plate the grip material of the clutch just fell out. the clutch had been worn to metal and the chunks of the material were what made it difficult to shift. so i switched out all the clutch parts(clutch, pressur plate and bearing) by my self. the clutch kit was 160$ from veedubb parts in huntingtonbeach, ca but i saw it online cheaper(143.00 at kragen)(wasn't sure of quality) so i went to the local shop to look at the parts first hand.

1981 vanagon 7 seater.
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Replaced the clutch on my sisters 87 because of hard shifting. When i pulled the trans i found pieces of disc and three diaphram fingers from the pressure plate. Only had 175000 miles on it.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: