Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

Nico1981 wrote:
Do you mean this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Both engines, the original from the car from 1950 and the industrial engine from 1953 had these...

By the way did you see the mistake on the two sheets above? Main jet for 26 VFIS: 102 and 120?

Those are not original to the engines. They are a later replacement part.

For the 25hp engine we had the K, then the Jacketed K, then the Zwitter manifold. The Zwitter manifold was the last manifold used in production and was the only spare part manifold that you could buy for a 25hp engine until at least 9/55 as documented in the K1 documents that I posted above.

At some time between 9/55 and 9/57 VW introduced the 701 manifold which was a 36hp manifold with 25hp end castings and the E ground off. This was the final spare part manifold that was available for the 25hp engine. I have a VW parts book from the 70's and the 701E is still listed as the manifold for the 36hp engines and the 701 as the replacement manifold for the 25hp engine.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

For the 25hp engine we had the K, then the Jacketed K, then the Zwitter manifold. The Zwitter manifold was the last manifold used in production and was the only spare part manifold that you could buy for a 25hp engine until at least 9/55 as documented in the K1 documents that I posted above.

At some time between 9/55 and 9/57 VW introduced the 701 manifold which was a 36hp manifold with 25hp end castings and the E ground off. This was the final spare part manifold that was available for the 25hp engine. I have a VW parts book from the 70's and the 701E is still listed as the manifold for the 36hp engines and the 701 as the replacement manifold for the 25hp engine.

What about the "Uterus" manifold ('54?) and the 701 Style but with 25hp encastings, 18mm heat risers and creased alum jacket like the zwitters?

Maybe you weren't intending to offer a comprehensive intake history, and yes, I know we have discussed this before. Also maybe worth mentioning is a 36hp version of the Zwitter intake that was used on industrial engines (probably)....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

Here it is. Sorry for the poor measurements. I needed a third hand.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

What about the "Uterus" manifold ('54?) and the 701 Style but with 25hp encastings, 18mm heat risers and creased alum jacket like the zwitters?

Maybe you weren't intending to offer a comprehensive intake history, and yes, I know we have discussed this before. Also maybe worth mentioning is a 36hp version of the Zwitter intake that was used on industrial engines (probably)....

The question was regarding a 25hp manifold so I only mentioned manifolds for 25hp engines.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Here it is. Sorry for the poor measurements. I needed a third hand.

Yes, that is the later replacement 25hp manifold. Not technically factory correct for any car but is a genuine VW part. If you want your engine to be as it came from the factory you would not want to use it but if you aren't concerned about that it will work just fine.

It should also have a 28mm opening for the carb.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

The question was regarding a 25hp manifold so I only mentioned manifolds for 25hp engines.

What about the 701 style one (I think it, like the Zwitter, has 802 on the jacket) with 25hp encastings and 18mm HR tubing?. Can't remember if there was documentation on that one anywhere.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

I pulled this from my comments in another thread.

In progressive refinements

The introduction of the 701 "e" style manifold with 18mm x 1mm thick heat risers.

Introduction of the 20mm x 2mm thick heat risers

We don't know exactly when the "701" replaced the Zwitter manifold as the official spare part. We only know that it was between 9/55 and 9/57 due to our documentation gap.

So based on this info and when the Zwitter manifold was replaced by the "701" there should be at least a short period of time when the current production 36hp manifold would have been the thin walled heat riser manifold. Since the base of the "701" manifold is a 36hp manifold, then it would make sense that some of the early "701" manifolds would have the thin walled heat risers and grooved jacket just like the current production 36hp manifolds had.

oldtimervw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: More 25 hp intake manifold alternatives Reply with quote

Hello Splitjunkie,
Very good info.
Do you think you could show again those pages from the VW Engine spec's for the 25 & 30 hp engines again, this time to include all of the info for the 30 hp engine?
Hope you can do so.
Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: