Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Transmission fluid
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
yield27
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Transmission fluid Reply with quote

I got a gallon of 80w-90 transmission fluid from CarQwest, but it says it works on all 3,4, and 5 applications. Should I be worried about putting this in my tranny.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This topic always yeilds wide opinions.

Perform a search, and you'll see that there are a couple of recommendations that you can choose from.

Buying a "gallon" will provide you with extra; how do you plan to get it into the side plug? The VW engineers did not make this an "easy" task. Some use a funnel with a plastic tube, and fill it from a rear wheel well. I bought a plastic pump (made by Valvoline at NAPA) that screws on their quart containers; you can easily pump the fluid from the container right in.

Don't forget, you'll need to buy the right size allen wrench and cut it; this is so you can get to the drain plug easier.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't forget, you'll need to buy the right size allen wrench and cut it; this is so you can get to the drain plug easier.

What is that size?
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 MM for the size. If you get the kind that fits your ratchet it will fit in with no cutting.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Cheap Source for the VW tools... Reply with quote

California Import Parts has specific VW tools at quite good prices, and they're not bad to deal with. They had the 46mm 3/4" drive socket for the rear axle nuts, the 'bottle opener' which MightyArt got to work for removing that, the 'finger' to keep the wheels from rotating when you don't want, and they sell a 17mm. allen key with a ratchet socket for the transmission oil socket. The price was low enough to make me buy one right off.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: