Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Domed 36 hp. pistons???
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mightymax1800c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: Domed 36 hp. pistons??? Reply with quote

wanted to knwo if anyone on here knows anythign about the domed VW 36hp pistons?
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the mid 90's i found a oval with a 36hp with a hole in the top of the block.the owner had the draeger dip stick oil temp gauge hanging in his shop. iknew there was a stoker crank in the engine so i bought it with out knowing.i took it home and the pistons were ruined but were domed top and the crank was a okrasa crank. it had empi stamped on it and i sold it to someone.anyway...it did not have barrel spacers that i can remember but it was still single port .whoever owned it went the chep route.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightymax1800c
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: thanx Reply with quote

ok so they do exist.
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a set of 36-dome pistons & cyls,wanted to use in my 58ragtop.anyone know if a swap out replacement and compression ratio??
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some use later pistons from the 1200 engine, and machine the dome on it becaus 36 hp have one mm less fire land than the later pistons, so you can machine the dome..

also vw offerd formula vee pistons with dome, also for later 1200cc engines with 77mm bore

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running a set of dometops in a 57 sedan I drive every day.With the head flycut .040 and the domes it makes 7.5/1 compression.Never gets hot even though I've pushed it hard at 60-70 for the last 3000 miles (I'm not running a splitcase transmision).Only setup issue is a small clearance problem with the dome on the heads,an easy fix.Runs good on any grade gas,32-38mpg depending on how hard you step on it.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a problm with 1200 pistons=pins are larger.
oval56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

morymob wrote:
I see a problm with 1200 pistons=pins are larger.

not the early ones or 1300 also with 20mm wrist pins

1956 Oval, 2364ccm typ4
1957 Oval Ragtop 1584ccm singel port modified
1950 Hebmüller, 1584ccm okrasa modified

DBK Germany!!!!!!!!!!
www.dbkvw.com
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's talk a little bit about the small differences between 36hp (1200cc),40hp (1200cc),and 1300cc engines. 36hp and 40hp have a couple things in common.They share the same stroke of 64mm and a wrist pin size of 20mm,and same size piston of 77mm. The 40hp piston is 1mm taller than the 36hp piston.Don't get either confused with a 77mm piston from a 1300cc engine (22mm pin,different size ring grooves).A 1300cc engine is like a 1600 on the bottom end.69mm stroke and rods with a 22mm wrist pin.These came in US imports for just a couple years but was offered in the Euro std model as a dual port (please correct me if I'm wrong...).All US 1300 models had flat top pistons,but most Euro 1300s I've seen had dome tops.These (1300 dome tops) might make a good piston if you are useing a crank with Porsche rods since they have a 22mm pin size.

Some Chinese guy
morymob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: mazda 323 77.5 mm pistons? Reply with quote

Some mentioned using mazda 323 77.5 pistons,what yr/engine did these come from also what is wr/pin size,rods,cys shims etc ???
Unkl Ian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the Mazda pins are 36 hp size.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Motorhead wrote:
The 40hp piston is 1mm taller than the 36hp piston.
That's not what my caliper says. Both read exactly 29mm from the top of the piston pin to the top top of the piston, both flat tops.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
Mr. Motorhead wrote:
That's not what my caliper says. Both read exactly 29mm from the top of the piston pin to the top top of the piston, both flat tops.

Sounds like you're measureing two 40hp pistons.......sometimes 40hp pistons got swapped in some 36hp engine builds for more compression,and yes they will make a cute little dome top if you have some machineing skills.

I just measured some NOS 77mm 40hp and some 77mm 36hp that came out of an engine I'm building for a customer.......the NOS 40hp was 1mm taller.Not trying to make an argument of it,but everything factory spec is this size until you get into non-factory piston and barrel sets,that's a whole different deal.Some makers of 77mm P/C sets just made tooling for one size piston to fit both 36hp and 40hp applications thus making it a bit more of a profitable venture for such a small market.

Some Chinese guy
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Motorhead wrote:
petrol punk wrote:
Mr. Motorhead wrote:

Sounds like you're measureing two 40hp pistons.......sometimes 40hp pistons got swapped in some 36hp engine builds for more compression,and yes they will make a cute little dome top if you have some machineing skills.

I just measured some NOS 77mm 40hp and some 77mm 36hp that came out of an engine I'm building for a customer.......the NOS 40hp was 1mm taller.Not trying to make an argument of it,but everything factory spec is this size until you get into non-factory piston and barrel sets,that's a whole different deal.Some makers of 77mm P/C sets just made tooling for one size piston to fit both 36hp and 40hp applications thus making it a bit more of a profitable venture for such a small market.
It appears you're right, I went back and measured some more pistons I pulled out of my 36hp and 3 of them checked out at 28mm and one of them at 29mm. Shocked I knew the PO was a hack but damn.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: