Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Winston becomes 'High Pockets' <Verbose!>
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Winston becomes 'High Pockets' <Verbose!> Reply with quote

Today...

Well, I tried to replace the instrument panel voltage regulator with a minimally-invasive procedure, leaving the console as much in place as I could. Use a very long Philips for the screws. Get a magnetic probe for the one that falls down behind the heater controls if you're me. Then pop the speedo cable, unscrew the clip for the old regulator, plug in the new one and screw it down, and remember to reattach the speedometer cable.

The fuel gauge seemed a bit more responsive when I tested the new voltage regulator by running the engine. I didn't want to unplug the console connector because it's a pain to re-set the LCD clock I got when I installed the new console and tach.

Then I replaced the passenger's side grab handle, which I thought was broken because the brown plastic clips that hide the four screws. No, it was just missing the two brown plastic clips that hide the four screws, as I realized when I installed the new one. ANYBODY KNOW WHERE TO GET THE BROWN PLASTIC CLIPS THAT HIDE THE DOOR SCREWS? I have a feeling you need to buy a new handle to get them. But, that went pretty well.

Van-Cafe sold me a new map pocket, I'd wanted brown, but those are NLA. I still had some Krylon Fusion brown plastic spray paint, which I put on the black one last night. It covered fine and nearly dried overnight, I let the map pocket bake in the summer sun for a few minutes today to finish the drying. It's a bit lighter than the brown of the original one, but you have a hard time seeing them both at the same time.

I think over my mods a long time before I implement them. The final problem in installing a map pocket on the passenger's side was how to fit it into place and get it mounted correctly. You can't put one in the same spot as the driver's side pocket, because the glove box will hit it and not be able to open. Another problem was my non-standard front rotating seat, I didn't want that hitting and shattering the new map pocket.

Basically I did a dry fit and marked where to drill the holes on the door panel once I got the position roughly figured with a piece of tape and the patterns on the old vinyl covering of the panel. Last night I realized that if I put six finishing nails into the screw holes on the map pocket, I could make punctures to mark where to drill by pressing them into the vinyl.

I matched the height of the driver's side pocket and opened the glove box door before making my call as to where I'd be putting in the pocket. Then I pressed the nails in the screw holes into the panel to make my marks. That worked pretty well, for a fact. Then I drilled pilot holes, and then removed the panel and drilled larger holes for the screws.

Get one of those special tools for popping the panel, that thing works and is relatively easy on the panel holders, I only lost one, or it had broken long before. As always, when I pulled the old door parts I cleaned them with Goo Gone, which is a citric-based cleaner, then soaked them in the sink with Dawn and scrubbed them with a toothbrush. Today's parts included the old arm rest, the door latch release covers, and the door vent.

Needed 6 #8 screws, 'bout 1", to hold the new map pocket onto the door panel. Installed those with no difficulty, also took the opportunity to use white lithium grease on the window regulator and the latch and lock mechanism.

I used packaging tape to patch the tears in the plastic door seal and to attach that to the inner door where the original adhesive had failed over the decades. Had to patch around the hole for the speaker, on the driver's side, a loose piece of plastic there used to flap at speed and drive me BATS.

Shocked

Okay, more bats.

Shocked

Then it was baby oil on the door panel and all the removed parts, then reassembly with the new map pocket in place, and, voila, doubled door storage! I can even rotate the seat without coming anywhere near the new tray. Put baby oil on every rubber and plastic piece I could find, and in a Westy, that's a lot.

I've talked to some very good restoration people and that was their universal choice for plastic and rubber parts. Winston's front door panels and dash pad are gradually becoming darker again as the oil sinks into them. I also did his rain gutter trim, all the Westy cabinet trim, and all the handles and arm rests. Then the door and window seals, the bolt covers on the windshield wipers, the bumper end caps... And other stuff.

And I am very tired.

Best!

Last edited by msinabottle on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip on the baby oil. I'm in the process of restoring my old, tired 1982 diesel Westy, Bonesaw. I think I will try some baby oil on my window seals tomorrow and post some pictures. Your write ups are great...How long must we keep using our imagination?

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: A Legitimate Point Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. It's a legitimate point that I need to post pictures--I've gotten out of the habit of working with the camera next to me. I'll take a shot or two of the finished project and post them soonish.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the grab handle covers are going to be a boneyard item.I did buy a BROWN grab handle from Van Cafe.I was floored that brownVanagon parts are still coming fron VW.I bought a brown map tray from OEM i think.When I get home I will look it up.I will have to try the baby oil on the interior parts.But for myself I would not put it on rubber.Oil softens up rubber and does eat away at it.Think like stepping in an oil puddle in your new Van shoes.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
syncromat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Winston becomes 'High Pockets' <Verbose!> Reply with quote

[quote="msinabottle

Put baby oil on every rubber and plastic piece I could find, and in a Westy, that's a lot.

I've talked to some very good restoration people and that was their universal choice for plastic and rubber parts.

Best![/quote]

you done it again ...another good one , but what about the rotting rubber syndrome?
70coupyel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brown Map Pockets are still happening.

http://www.oeveedub.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PR...rior-doors

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=338946&highlight=
70 KG Coup
83 Westy Waterboxer
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Gravy!

I'm invisioning you're Van to be modified for space travel soon! Keep up the good work. It is a pleasure to read your explorations.

DANGER! Will Robinson
DANGER!

Danger! I show DANGER by waving my Robot arms about with bad '60s effects. Who would want to be stuck on a Planet with that F-ed up paranoid Robot? Such as a Van is to us.

Good Work.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: The Odd Mods Squad Reply with quote

All right, so I promised you pictures... Here they are.

Here's the map pocket on the passenger's side door, it only LOOKS original. It's far enough back so that the glove box door doesn't hit it, and it's well clear of the retrofitted swivel seat. So far, it's already been useful.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That Krylon fusion is pretty good stuff! I know that you can still get the brown ones from OEVeeDub, but Van Cafe had the black as old inventory a lot cheaper. You can also get metal window cranks... I'm tempted as a permanent solution to those horrid aftermarket ones. No luck on finding good OEM ones at a reasonable price so far.

Ideas?

Here's a bonus shot of the high/low thermometer/hygrometer, the Bosch 12v. fan and its magnetic base, and one of the 22 LED arrays I used to replace the original battery-eating incandescent light:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I found that old magnetic base on the side of a cabinet, the fan can be very nice when you're hot and sweaty and right next to it. I had to wire one of those inline switches into the power cord, though, the switch on the fan is a TERRIBLE design. Otherwise, it's great. The thermometer holds itself in place on the metal tray with a magnet and clip.

Best!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: