Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Kitchens??
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Custom Kitchens?? Reply with quote

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=438112

Has anyone seen what these might look like? I would be interested to know if someone has a setup like this.

I know that DP was in the process of redoing his setup but haven't seen any finsihed photos yet.
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful of the workmanship. At that price it's probably vinyl-faced mdf which will chip easily and look bad in a couple of years. If it's real wood or wood-veneer plywood then it might be worth it but with such a far away picture it's impossible to see the fit and finish quality.

Good luck...
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
McHuntley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would love to see closer pictures of that
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably be very weary of someone posting something like that, where they have made zero posts outside of this one classified ad.

you know, don't go sending a money order to a Nigerian banker or anything like that. Wink
tsombrero1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Westy layout. One day someone is going to figure out a way to put a more efficient top-loading fridge in without sacrificing the sink, stove, or water tank. You could mount it under the sink/stove With heavy-duty drawer runners or something. That and a rear table that folds neatly away without blocking stuff.

Oh and for $600 I'll do yours too Smile

Not knocking it, it looks nice, but without inspecting it in person... glaube nicht.

1988 Westy, Syncro-nated
2003 Aprilia Caponord (now with Jif)
Atari 2600
1970 Earthbound Humanoid
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well which of you have actually contacted this guy in Santa Cruz to find out what the deal is Question
As a cabinet maker/finisher for nearly 30 years I can tell you that with todays machinery it would be easy to knock these out.
Also the melamines and laminates and glues of today are far superior to anything VW ever dreamed of.
The sub surfaces are much lighter and truer than particle board was in the 70's- 90's.
I doubt that for $600.00 you would get something made here in the States but I could easilly be mistaken.
For example, Ive used Porter Cable palm and finishing sanders back when they were known as Rockwell Company.
Last week I was looking at a small pad sander to use on a paint grade job in the shop...I didnt want to use either of my Porter Cable sanders and have them transfer white primer dust to raw wood like Maple or Cherry or Mahogany.
On the shelf was a pad sander made in China, and was selling for $22.00.
Turns out it is a GREAT sander and in my opinion beats the snot outa the Porter Cable sanders and come Saturday Im going back to Ace and buy three more.

Lets not knock anyone or anything until we know the facts.
fastwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RCB wrote:
Well which of you have actually contacted this guy in Santa Cruz to find out what the deal is Question
As a cabinet maker/finisher for nearly 30 years I can tell you that with todays machinery it would be easy to knock these out.
Also the melamines and laminates and glues of today are far superior to anything VW ever dreamed of.
The sub surfaces are much lighter and truer than particle board was in the 70's- 90's.
I doubt that for $600.00 you would get something made here in the States but I could easilly be mistaken.
For example, Ive used Porter Cable palm and finishing sanders back when they were known as Rockwell Company.
Last week I was looking at a small pad sander to use on a paint grade job in the shop...I didnt want to use either of my Porter Cable sanders and have them transfer white primer dust to raw wood like Maple or Cherry or Mahogany.
On the shelf was a pad sander made in China, and was selling for $22.00.
Turns out it is a GREAT sander and in my opinion beats the snot outa the Porter Cable sanders and come Saturday Im going back to Ace and buy three more.

Lets not knock anyone or anything until we know the facts.

thats funny you say that about the sander. at my shop we had porter-cable belt sander at about $250 apiece we went out and tried a cheap one from Harbor frieght at about $30. so far so good . I was really getting tired of reparing the PC sanders. I keep saying if the cheap ones break there throw aways, well they just keep running like the energizer rabbit.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
noza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

on this subject, does anyone have any recomendations for lightweight material to build cabinets out of, and where can i find it? Sad
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noza wrote:
on this subject, does anyone have any recomendations for lightweight material to build cabinets out of, and where can i find it? Sad

I like plywood laminates of which there are many, many kinds for many, many different uses. If you are going to paint it or stain/seal it also affects your choices of materials. You're better off going to a wood working/cabinetry site to get the most useful info.

Good luck...
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
Muskrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

howdy.i contacted this guy and he say's there made in germany and his son is there and can forward your own design for a quote. he's not the one building them, he's just trying to get a price break by ordering a bunch of them. i'm gonna try to get more info. i'll let ya know.
thanks
keith
CF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a diy kit from reimo in germany.they have many differant models to choose from Very Happy .
here is a link from their UK supplier Smile
http://www.reimo.co.uk/id23.htm

also eurocampers is the US supplier Wink
tikibus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product out there called Sea-Tuff.

It is carried by Curbell Plastics.

Expensive? yipes!

For the DIY it may be an option, since it marine grade and works just like
wood.

I'm pondering using it as a sub-flooring in the back open area, the Lounge, if you will. Just hesitant to put back moisture holding wood onto many hours of preservation work.
Founding member of the Empire State VW Camping Club.
http://www.empirevwcamping.org/
1984 Westy - Tiki
1997 Honda Civic -The Green Hornet
1971 Volvo P-1800E- needs TLC
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw this same layout in a Type 5 diesel...yes you read that right..in New Zealand last month. Take a look and see how deep the cabinets are. They looked pretty shallow in the one I saw.

This is a similar layout to the Winnebago, but without the moving/removable rear seat. Not a bad layout but maybe not perfect (if there is such a thing). I would like to see how they deal with the table. We converted ours to a free standing unit which folds up like the original Winny model.

The workmanship looks good. Hope it works out for you.

Pete
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: