Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing the exhaust
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Replacing the exhaust Reply with quote

I took on the task of replacing the entire exhaust today. I found that a previous owner had welded so much of the old exhaust, and that quite a bit of weld got to the nuts and bolts. It was so bad that I had to grind off 80% of them. I also found that there were no studs in the heads; they were gone and replaced with bolts. The exhaust must have been removed once before, and welded to kingdom come! It did come from Germany, so perhaps some farmer used the welder verses buying a replacement exhaust. Cheap bastard!

Got the new stuff installed, works great. New O2 installed as well (old one was welded into it's bung).

Glad this job won't need my attention for another 10 or so years.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Request for Audio Tape Reply with quote

Dear Bucko,

Is there a soundtrack available of your remarks during the series of unfortunate events you describe? I'm sure my vocabulary would be immeasurably richer as a result.

Congratulations on tackling the hydra and winning!

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daszugspitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Started the same task yesterday on my 87 Vanagon. All went well until the last 2 manifold bolts (Passenger side front) Now I have a stud and a bolt broken off... They are protruding about 1/2 inch from the head. Going to try the vice grips today. No access to a torch..

Any recommendations on a bolt/stud puller. Never had to remove a broken bolt by drilling before. Atleast there is plenty of room to work on the passenger front side of the engine.

Also the manifold gaskets that came from the Exhaust kit are metal ( both sides ) From the Bus Depot. These are ok to use ? Just used to seeing exhaust gaskets with one soft side...

Also.. What is the standard thread on those manifold bolts ? 8mm x 1 or 8mm x 1.25 ? Same as the common ones at the local hardware store ?
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have some of the studs hanging out the head , make the job 100% easier, and beg, borrow, rent, steal a oxy/acet. torch set up for 15 minutes.

Them studs will almost fly outa the head, and you won't cause any more damage.

As Bob Villa sez---"Right Tool, Right Job"

Last edited by Terry Kay on Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer the MIG method..

slip a nut over the remnants of the stud/bolt and weld it on..

a nice little LINCOLN red mig from HD/Lowes is just about $300 and a seriously GREAT investment in tool and increased ability..

I have 2 110vt lincoln migs and use the cheaper of the 2 90% of the time. the nicer unit is reserved for actuall GAS MIG use for autobody.
the FLUXCORE gets down to business, and theres no end to the shovel handles I've repaired.

just tell the Mrs. it's HOT GLUE FOR MEN Twisted Evil

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
daszugspitz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. Might have to get a proffessional to remove whats left of the stud and bolt.. The vice grips are prettty much a waste at this point.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't toss the vice grips---just be sure to get them studs plenty hot.

It'll help a bunch----
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: