Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MOFOCO - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: May 09, 2023
poky69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

This is to warn those people looking into purchasing a new or rebuilt engine. DO NOT buy from Mofoco. I made that mistake and would like to help other people avoid that mistake. A list of problems with my "new" engine after only 2000 miles:
1)End Play way out of spec (.015 Shocked ), there where only two shims so the one burned down very quickly.
2)Spark Plugs blew out of head while driving, they popped right out ripping the threads with them, there was even an insert in the one, a sign of a poor rebuild.
3)Bad front main seal
4)Vavle adjustment screws worn off, no apparent reason for this, just more bad parts
5)Rebuilt crank (supposed to be brand new; can anyone say "false advertising?")

Check the better business bureau, I'm not the only one with complaints.

I hope this saves people from having to mess with these low quality engines from a bad company (with terrible customer service after the sale). Good Luck!
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about the problems - that sucks. Was it sold as new or rebuilt? Did they specify what parts were new/rebuilt? Have you contacted them about the problems?

My food baby is crowning.
poky69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was sold as a new engine, we ok'ed the rebuilt heads, but never the crank, and yes I called a few times, but they wouldn't do anything and were very rude and demeaning. Actually, with customer service like that I was shocked they were still in business. I'm not trying to knock them but nobody should have to go through what I did.
Ace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little input for your experience. Always get new heads. They are cheap. As for that crankshaft, I'd take a 10 over turned german crank over a new cast one.

The end play is purely a workmanship issue. The leaky seal was probably related to that. Hopefully Roy will stand behind his shop's work. Do you have the description and any warranty info for what you bought?
poky69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was hoping he would, too.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Search function is your friend:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=129771&highlight=mofoco
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=155994&highlight=mofoco
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=102213&highlight=mofoco
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=22577&highlight=mofoco
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95574&highlight=mofoco
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=29367&highlight=mofoco
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Warning to engine buyers - MOFOCO Reply with quote

poky69 wrote:
This is to warn those people looking into purchasing a new or rebuilt engine. DO NOT buy from Mofoco. I made that mistake and would like to help other people avoid that mistake. A list of problems with my "new" engine after only 2000 miles:
1)End Play way out of spec (.015 Shocked ), there where only two shims so the one burned down very quickly.
2)Spark Plugs blew out of head while driving, they popped right out ripping the threads with them, there was even an insert in the one, a sign of a poor rebuild.
3)Bad front main seal
4)Vavle adjustment screws worn off, no apparent reason for this, just more bad parts
5)Rebuilt crank (supposed to be brand new; can anyone say "false advertising?")

Check the better business bureau, I'm not the only one with complaints.

I hope this saves people from having to mess with these low quality engines from a bad company (with terrible customer service after the sale). Good Luck!

Ok, everyone ready? Here goes........

1) We sold this longblock over 13 months ago(our warranty is for defective parts only 12 months from purchase)
2) Customer said that he checked the endplay when he recieved the engine and it was perfect..........over 13 months later it is .015
3)Spark plugs blow out of heads because of overheating and/or not having them tightened down enough.
4) Bad front main seal? After 13 months of use?
5) Valve adjustment screws wore off? Ok, here is the story on valve adjustment screws in the VW industry. Brazilian screws are garbage, I will not use them. American made laser hardened tipped screws are the best, unfortunately they are not made anymore. Now I use new German, when available, or good used German, when they are not. I have good used German on my own car and have no problems, plus I've used 1000's on engine and also never had a problem.
6) Yes, I am now using std/std and 10/10 German forged cranks instead of new cast Brazilian cranks for a couple of different reasons. First, German forged is stronger than Brazil cast any day of the week. Second, I figured out that most of the time when a Brazil cast crank spins a bearing or burns out a journal, the crank is now garbage; a German crank can be ground up to three more times. Three, if anyone thinks that I do this because it's "cheaper", talk to any machinist; it's actually cheaper just to buy the inferior Brazil crank.

Now, everyone on this forum has seen the lengths I have gone to help customers here.......taking things back and fixing them for free months/years after the warranty has run out, I have taken the brunt of many, many things that had nothing to do with me and still stood firm and helped to fix anything that I could. I will not do it this time and here is why. This customer straight out lied to me to try and get something for free. When I first spoke to him, he started out the conversation with the end play issue. After 20-30 minutes of talking, he finally admitted that the end play was perfect when he got the engine(he said he checked it) and now it's .015 after over a year of use. So that is why I am skeptical about everything else that he says because he started out with a lie. Here is a word to the wise for anyone that has any issue with any engine from any engine builder.........always be honest!!!! Engine builders do this for a living, we have built 100's of engines. We know what happens when certain things are done to an engine and what the effects are. Now, if said customer would have called me up and started out with....."I think I might have messed something up but I'm not sure, I know the engine is out of warranty but Roy, can you help me?" My answer would have been a resounding "YES, YES, YES, YES!!!! What can I do to help you get back on the road?" Oh, also, swearing at me on the phone and telling me what a piece of sh!t I am, that my company is sh!t and that all my products are sh!t will not get me to help you. That was actually the last straw, I will no longer even take phone calls from this customer. So that's it. I will also not get pulled into arguing back and forth on this forum about this issue. I have said everything that I want to say; everyone here knows that if I had even an ounce of doubt, I would just take it back an fix it; but I will not take back an out of warranty engine from a customer that lies to me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Miichael
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

13 months is plenty of time to mess up an engine if you dont know what the sam hill you are doing......

good to hear the other side of the story

I would still buy from you.. but thats monstly cause i like the name of your company Smile
oc63rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poky69, if it happened as Roy stated above it sounds like you owe him an apology.

My food baby is crowning.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miichael wrote:
13 months is plenty of time to mess up an engine if you dont know what the sam hill you are doing......good to hear the other side of the story

I would still buy from you.. but thats monstly cause i like the name of your company Smile

I've seen people destroy well built engines in far less time than that... Razz Twisted Evil

I think it's evident that Roy has done a helluva lot to repair the reputation of MOFOCO, alot of which damage was done before he had the job?
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
poky69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the point, I did not use the engine for a year, only three weeks before this it sat properly stored in the garage, it only has 2000 miles on it and all these problems, yes it had good endplay when I got it, but a bad rebuild with only two shims changes it fast. I never once lied to Roy, and I'm not even trying to hurt him, just trying to prevent others from getting hurt, because this was shockingly low quality work.
keifernet
Samba Search & Rescue

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poky69 wrote:
Here's the point, I did not use the engine for a year, only three weeks before this it sat properly stored in the garage, it only has 2000 miles on it and all these problems, yes it had good endplay when I got it, but a bad rebuild with only two shims changes it fast. I never once lied to Roy, and I'm not even trying to hurt him, just trying to prevent others from getting hurt, because this was shockingly low quality work.

Did you ever contact Roy about this before posting here? Do you have a string of e-mails documenting any correspondence? Did you give him any chance to make good on this or help you in any way before coming here to start this thread?

Did you do any valve adjustments etc to the engine during the "3 weeks/2,000 miles"? What vehicle is this engine in and how it is driven by YOU?

A big part of any "warranty" IMHO falls on the purhcaser/owner and mechanic who works on/maintian's any engine...not just the builder.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FASTBACKDON
The other insensitive jerk like Neil

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the point, I did not use the engine for a year, only three weeks before this it sat properly stored in the garage, it only has 2000 miles on it and all these problems

WOW 2000 Miles in 3 weeks? am I reading this correctly?
Did you do the 500 mile break in properly? or just jump on it everytime to drove it?

Buy my best friends stuff
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=56TIMOTEO

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OTO X58
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poky69 wrote:
.....yes it had good endplay when I got it, but a bad rebuild with only two shims changes it fast.

It's perfectly fine to use only two shims. The point is that the shims have to give you the proper endplay. the smallest shim is a 10, so if you need less than 30 in the shims, you are going to have to use only two.

I have a feeling you are over-reacting. The 2 shims does not indicate a rushed or poor rebuild.

RIP HBB 10.10.84 - 12.25.09
1958 Ragtop Bug Build - Subaru Swap!
1957 Gazelle Beige Ghia FOR SALE
1957 Dove Blue Kombi field find
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachghia70 wrote:
poky69 wrote:
.....yes it had good endplay when I got it, but a bad rebuild with only two shims changes it fast.

It's perfectly fine to use only two shims. The point is that the shims have to give you the proper endplay. the smallest shim is a 10, so if you need less than 30 in the shims, you are going to have to use only two.

I have a feeling you are over-reacting. The 2 shims does not indicate a rushed or poor rebuild.

Thank You Roach

(21:10:42) Jennepher: Russell is our proudest achievment. I feel like Samba created him from a little nugget of crap into a full blown adult.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Warning to engine buyers - MOFOCO Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
.....swearing at me on the phone and telling me what a piece of sh!t I am, that my company is sh!t and that all my products are sh!t will not get me to help you. That was actually the last straw, I will no longer even take phone calls from this customer. So that's it. I will also not get pulled into arguing back and forth on this forum about this issue. I have said everything that I want to say....

It sounds to me that "Poky" tried to be the tough guy, and it didn't work.
If Roy is anything like his father, Randy, that is totally the wrong approach. In my dealings with Mofoco, they have been reasonable
if they are working with a reasonable customer.
Good for you, Roy Mofoco. Very Happy
poky69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know how to drive and do valve adjustments and all the break in stuff and I did them. I am a professional mechanic. Also, fyi using two shims does not allow them spin slowly so they wear off, which is what happened, one was rubbed down past any size offered. I work with a VW mechanic of 35 years, and all he seen was shoddy work and bad parts. I'm not going to argue its against Samba rules. This post was a WARNING, with two mechanics backing it up. You don't have to take my word for it, check with the Better Business Bureau. So take it for what its worth, I have to go rebuild an engine-properly.
FASTBACKDON

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am a professional mechanic.

Ok just curious why did you not build your own then. I am not trying to bust your chops. I am building my 1st motor soon a 2 liter. I have never built one before. Why could you not do the same?

Last edited by FASTBACKDON on Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hotrodvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you should show us what the Better Business Bureau has to say. Rolling Eyes Back up what you're saying here.....

78x94 with IDA's....oober fun

Horsepower is an addiction........Addictions cost
lots of money!

Hose & Fittings
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roachghia70 wrote:
poky69 wrote:

If two shims are acceptable, then why is the general mantra three shims? Not to threadjack this topic, but I had an engine purchased from a local shop in my old hometown a number of years ago; similar situation, two shims, and I didn't realize how poorly bult the engine was until it was too late.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 22

Jump to: