Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MOFOCO - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: [email protected]
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: May 09, 2023
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Jonerin wrote:
"Mofoco has been rebuilding VW transmissions for over 30 years... but don't just take our word for it. We install every VW transmission into a real Volkswagen Bug, and drive said Bug around to check every forward and reverse gear to make sure your vw transmission will shift properly when we ship it to you. As far as we know, we are the only VW shop that does this! Ask any other shop how they test their Volkswagen transmissions, we bet they don't come close to MOFOCO."

Roy, this is from your transmission page, so I am again curios as to your comment that the transmission is tested itself but not with axles and tubes. Crying or Very sad

Again, this has been covered MANY times. I have custom made axles that are swingaxle on one end to go in the transmission and have CV joints on the other end to attach to the car.

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonerin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2020 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Well, anyway, I hope mine was tested, because I cant get it to go into first gear. In a few weeks I will actually test drive it for the first time, maybe all will go great! I switched around the tubes and welded on an old pair of brake line brackets. It took me 6 hours.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Jonerin wrote:
Well, anyway, I hope mine was tested, because I cant get it to go into first gear. In a few weeks I will actually test drive it for the first time, maybe all will go great! I switched around the tubes and welded on an old pair of brake line brackets. It took me 6 hours.

Do you want to just come out and call me a liar? I don't know how many more ways or times I can say it nicely.

EVERY TRANSMISSION WE HAVE BUILT GETS INSTALLED IN A VEHICLE AND TEST DRIVEN!!!!!!!!!

I graduated from college in June 2000. I can personally guarantee that every one has been road tested from that time until this morning, when I test drove another one.

We are the only company in the world that does this.

www.mofoco.com

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

i resisted posting feedback because i dont think it does any good and then everyone starts blaming the customer. but after Volksworld easily diagnosed the problem and only possible cure, i felt compelled...
this is the email chain from the day my engine became ready. there have been to my memory no other communications

https://youtu.be/u7g6v_1yssA
the original video and all other videos are on my youtube channel

Date: October 20, 2020 at 7:29:54 PM EDT
To: Roy Henning <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Mofoco Engine Test Video

i just had to buy another motor... cant wait to show the youtube video of me shoving the mofucko motor into the dumpster!!! i will send you the link

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 2, 2020, at 8:26 PM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

that is horse shit. i am going to build my own engine then make a video of me shoving this Mofoco pice of shit into the dumpster. I will make sure you logo is prominently displayed

Sent from my iPad

On Mar 2, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Sometimes they need to be at 1 turn to stay pumped up as the extra tension sometimes causes them to bleed down.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 12:02 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
I have all of them adjusted at 2 turns after zero lash.

As a test I adjusted the two valves until the lifters were completely compressed. You must remember that they are not pumping up so I can easily compress the lifter spring. I can actually push them in by hand. That is what I mean by “bottom out” it essentially becomes a solid lifter.

I used to have all of them adjusted at 1 1/2 turns but changed to 2 turns trying to get them to be quiet.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 28, 2020, at 12:02 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

I don't know what "turning it until it bottoms out the lifters" means. If you are doing it that way, that is a problem. The valves should be adjusted by screwing in the adjuster until it just touches the head of the valve(zero lash) and then in 1 1/2 turns. On the mushy one, do the same thing but only one turn.

If you are turning it in until the valves actually open and then backing it out; they will never pump up.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:52 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
What I am trying to say is that I turned it in until it bottom out the lifters. The valves were just starting to open which is why it started running a little rough. There aren’t many threads left as it is

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:49 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

OK cool, now we are getting somewhere. try adjusting it to 1 turn.

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:32 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
In, tighter.
I originally was adjusting 1 1/2 turns but went to 2 full turns after the lifters contact. This adjustment was 2 1/2 turns. Almost no adjustment left.
That was when I started thinking that the lifters were not getting enough oil. I bought an oil squirter and attempted to add some oil directly into the tube. It seemed to decrease the noise but not conclusive

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 28, 2020, at 11:12 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

I don't know what that means. Did you turn it 1/2 turn IN or OUT or?????

On Fri, Feb 28, 2020 at 10:03 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
Yes. I adjusted until it started running rough. But it was quieter

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 28, 2020, at 10:51 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Did you try readjusting just the one that was soft to a 1/2 turn in and then running it?

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 2:55 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
I did that test already. The lifters are not all pumping up

<image0.png>

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 27, 2020, at 1:47 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Please stop talking to me like I am just throwing my hands up in the air and telling you to go away. I am not. I am trying to figure out what a noise is in an engine I built 3 years ago using the audio from a cell phone video 2000 miles away. It's isn't an exact science. So, when you hear the noise next time, you need to shut the engine off and pull the valve covers. Have you tried my 100% fool proof method of checking to see if the lifters are pumped up? You stick a screw driver in between the rocker arm and the retainer. When you push on the rocker arm, if the spring compresses, the lifter is pumped up. If you rocker arm moves and pushes the push rod back into the lifter, the lifter isn't pumped up.

On Thu, Feb 27, 2020 at 9:31 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
At this point the noise is driving me nuts. It should not be making this mechanical clacking. I will drive it until I can’t take it anymore and when it warms up I will build an engine myself. That is what I should have done to begin with then I would know what I have.

Again, all I wanted was a reliable engine for a few thousand miles with the least hassle. That is why I purchased a Turnkey engine, complete and as stock as possible.

It would cost more money to send it to you and for you to send it back that I would be halfway to my own build. With no guarantee that it would be better.

I hoped you had an idea why the lifters were so noisy. That is all I expected from you.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 27, 2020, at 9:48 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Again Anon, I don't believe your engine is in any danger of "crapping out" so you let me know if that ever happens and I will take care of it.

Roy

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 11:44 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
I will verify that there is no exhaust leak. But after that I will drive it until it craps out.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 26, 2020, at 12:22 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

The picture you sent me is for an aftermarket "oil boost" kit and is not correct for your application.

So, what would you like to do at this point?

On Sat, Feb 22, 2020 at 4:17 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
they came out easy with a magnet and did not look worn, however they did not look like this
<image0.jpeg>

Sent from my iPad

both were barrel shaped . and were black in color.
On Feb 19, 2020, at 3:38 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Now that may make sense; as if it's stuck closed, the pressure is too high and if its stuck open, there isn't enough pressure and the lifters loose oil pressure and bleed down.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:28 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
Yes. That is next on my list. I will remove and inspect both of them.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 19, 2020, at 3:26 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

That makes no sense. The oil pressure on a new engine is only 35lbs at idle on start up and drops to 20lbs when hot. Do you have the ability to see if one of the pressure relief plungers is stuck for some reason?

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 2:23 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
The temperature is 55F today. I drove around for an hour after changing the oil to see if the noise would stop.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 19, 2020, at 3:11 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

How long did you let it run after changing the oil? What is the temp outside? I have never seen oil pressure that high.....

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 1:03 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
I want to know why the lifters are clacking.
Sometimes the noise stops and the engine is what I expected.
It runs good. Just noisy

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 19, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

So, at this point, what do you want to happen?

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 11:52 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
As I suspected the oil change to 20/50 did not change the noise.
I connected a pressure gauge and read 50psi at idle and 90psi at about 3000rpm
That seems high

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 9, 2020, at 10:56 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

I am sorry Anon, I am really trying to help. Just please try what I asked and let me know. I don't like unhappy customers.

Roy

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 9:55 AM Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:
Hi Anon,

I find it sad that you refuse to listen to me. First of all, I have been building engines for 30+ years and have personally built over 2500 engines with my own hands. I am an engine builder who happens to own a business, not a business owner that’s built a few motors here and there over the years. Second, I am one of three people in the entire world who can build a drop in hydraulic lifters for an aircoooled VW, I am generally recognized as the world wide foremost expert on hydraulic lifters in aircooled VW’s, as Mofoco is the only company in the world who can do it. Third, no recommendation from VW has any bearing whatsoever on aftermarket aircooled engines. You may be right that it’s not an exhaust noise but a phone recording is one of the most unreliable things to diagnose a problem. Oil changes are recommended BY ME and most other engine builders at 500, 1000, 1500 and then every 3000 miles. The purpose is to make sure the oil stays clean during the break in period and also alert you to any possible problems. Thin oil, that is gas diluted, will cause hydraulic lifters to not pump up. Thicker oil can and will help this problem. Your engine is FAR from defective even if it has a lifter noise. Also, we shipped this to you in Aug 2016. That is 3 1/2 years ago. If you only have 5000 miles on it, that is not a daily driver. If it is not actually driven daily, the lifters can bleed down and have to pump back up when you start it again.

I honestly don’t know what else to do for you at this point.

Roy

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 2:41 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
i have delayed responding because i wasnt sure what exactly to say.
the three comments you have made are absolutely incorrect. it is not exhaust noise, the heavier oil is not recommended by VW, and i am not “two behind” with only 5000 miles on the engine.
i was hoping that you would be less of a business man and more of an engine man, especially with the history of your father starting the business. if you truly cared then you would want to know why this engine is defective.
unfortunately, i cannot find a decent mechanic that is willing to troubleshoot this problem. they all say it is a defect that they dont want to touch.
i bought from mofoco because i thought that if i paid a premium for the engine then i would get something that would last.
my choice now is to abandon the car, buy another engine from someone else, or try to fix this on my own.

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 3, 2020, at 1:52 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Do an oil change. You are two behind. Run 20/50

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:44 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
At 1000 miles
10w30

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2020, at 1:40 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

How many miles are on it? When did you do the last oil change? What weight?

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:37 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
I drive every day

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 3, 2020, at 1:26 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

How long did it sit from the last time you drove it?

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 12:25 PM Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:
That sounds like an exhaust leak.

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 6:27 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
This is what it sounds like. Very loud.

https://youtu.be/qQ9S-33wDkU
Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 2, 2020, at 1:50 PM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

today i adjusted the valves again but this time only 3&4. the front lifter on 3 was significantly softer than the others. i could feel the spring inside the lifter. this tells me that it is not pumping up with oil for some reason

Sent from my iPad

On Feb 1, 2020, at 9:19 AM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

this problem with lifter noise is still ongoing.
i was driving the other day and suddenly all the noise stopped. i was going down the interstate and the engine got quiet and stayed that way for a couple of days.

this makes me think there is an oil flow problem.

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 22, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Have you checked the ends of the adjusters for any unusual wear?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 6:45 AM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
i readjusted this morning and the engine runs perfect again.
i think a lifter or lifters are sticking. when i loosen the bolt it frees up and i readjust as normal. this time i went to two turns to see if that helps..

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 16, 2019, at 12:24 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

That is very odd.

When you readjust the valves, how much farther do you need to turn the adjuster in?

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 12:02 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
I am still trying to understand what is happening. I am driving every day now. Right after I adjust the valves as described below the engine runs perfect. It is smooth, quiet, and responsive. After about 50 miles or so it goes back.
There is a distinct change.

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 15, 2019, at 11:27 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

No, they don't. I also haven't had a bad lifter in decades.....

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 6:18 PM Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
Roy, do the lifters come out through the tubes on this engine?
I would like to replace two of them to see if this helps

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 9, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

From today
<Video.MOV>

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 9, 2019, at 11:07 AM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

Roy,
I have 2200 miles so far and the motor is doing well. I have adjusted the lifters a couple of times. https://youtu.be/dXEc4j6oC88
The youtube video is where it was but after adjusting it really got quiet. However, the lifters seem to be getting out of adjustment somehow as I have had to repeat the adjustment procedure a couple of times. The symptom is that the noise gets a little louder and the power drops off a little.

The procedure I am using is to get to TDC and adjust the cylinder that the rotor is pointing at then repeat at BDC. To confirm zero lash I am slowly rocking the rocker arm but am also confirming that the adjustment screw has a slight resistance. Then I turn the screw 1 1/2 turns and tighten the locknut.

What is unusual is that the back right ( #2 exhaust ?) is not as strong as the rest. My procedure uses a very small screwdriver so that I can feel the lash come to zero. With this lifter I could tighten all the way if I wanted whereas with the others not. If that makes sense.

Do you have any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 30, 2017, at 8:17 PM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

Roy, the engine is performing well.
There is one subject I would like your opinion and that is lifter noise. There is a good bit of noise that sounds like the lifters need adjusting. I recall that this engine came with hydraulic lifters. Is there an adjustment procedure that I should be following?

I recall from the old days that hydraulic lifters were loosened until they clacked then tightened up a bit.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPad

On Oct 22, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Turn it one more time to TDC

Sent from the new Mofoco Innovation Factory Floor

On Oct 22, 2016, at 11:10 AM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

Roy, I have not started the engine yet as I am finishing the details. I did notice something unusual that I wanted your input.

I put the engine at TDC and took off the distributor cap. The rotor is not pointing at the mark on the distributor but is pointing at No.3.

This does not seem correct.

<image1.JPG>

Sent from my iPad

On Sep 1, 2016, at 11:43 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Anon,

Glad you got it all intact. Yeah, I haven't been doing the German
Rebuilt carbs for a while as I ran out of good cores. I have used
every brand new 34 pict 3 carb available from every manufacturer and
hands down, the EMPI one is the best. It's also the most expensive.
I normally don't include the breastplate and the firewall tin as the
original ones fit MUCH better than the stamped Asian ones. If you
don't have any, I can send you some brand new ones(no charge of
course) I can also send you the accordion tubes as well.

Please let me know and I will get it taken care of.

Roy

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 4:56 PM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
Roy, the engine arrived.
The guys at trucking company said it was the best packed engine they had seen.

A couple of points I would like to talk about.
I thought it would have a rebuilt German carburetor but it came with an Empi.

Also, it does not have some of the tin that I would expect. Primarily the breast plate tin and the firewall tin.

Also, the clean air hose connectors to the exhaust were not included.

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 25, 2016, at 10:07 AM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Hi Anon,

No, I always run the screen as well. The oil can never be too clean.....

Roy

On Thu, Aug 25, 2016 at 8:30 AM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:
do I need to do anything with the stock filter? I assume the plate is still in place, minus the screen?

Sent from my iPad

On Aug 24, 2016, at 7:18 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Absolutely!! The sound is always a little weird when recording outside with an I phone. Idles perfect, oil pressure is perfect, no leaks, firing on all cylinders(I check exhaust flange temps to confirm) timing is set, all the lifters are pumped up....

The only thing you need to do is confirm that the flaps are opening all the way when you drive it the first couple times. They did on the test stand but I want you to visually confirm as well as that can kill the motor if they don't.

Thank you again for the business. We will have it shipped out either tomorrow or Friday.

Roy

On Aug 24, 2016, at 5:51 PM, Anon <[email protected]> wrote:

Are you happy with it?

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 24, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

<Video.MOV>

Order # 28706
Billing Address
Shipping Address

Payment Method: Credit Card

Item
Quantity
Price
Total
Dual Port For Bug, Ghia, Thing Ce161 (MFC-CE161) - TurnKey VW Engines
$3299.00

Electronic Ignition: Replace Points/Condensor

$70.00

Carburetor Choice: Rebuilt German 34 pict 3 Carburetor

Crankshaft Upgrade:69mm Counterweighted Crank

$160.00

Filter Pump:Spin On Filter Pump

$70.00

Clutch Kit Addons: Early clutch kit - fits up to 1970

$99.00

Hydraulic Package: Hydraulic Cam and Lifter Kit

$199.99

Heater Boxes/J-Tubes: Heater Boxes

$300.00

Muffler Options: Stock Muffler with tail pipes

$99.00

Please choose fan shroud: With heat ducts

Item Total:
$4296.99
$4296.99
Sub Total:
$4296.99
Shipping Method: Freight (Engines and other very heavy orders)
Shipping:
$ 500.00
Total:
$4796.99
anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

and i changed only my name and email address. the one in the email is not monitored
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:

Again, this has been covered MANY times. I have custom made axles that are swingaxle on one end to go in the transmission and have CV joints on the other end to attach to the car.

Roy, a serious question: How do you have the swing axles connected to a CV, without the axle spade moving and letting the fulcrums slip behind?
THall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

anon emous wrote:
Volksworld easily diagnosed the problem and only possible cure

What was the problem?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

esde wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

Roy, a serious question: How do you have the swing axles connected to a CV, without the axle spade moving and letting the fulcrums slip behind?

We cut a swingaxle axle in half and cut an IRS axle in half and then welded them together so the side that goes in the transmission is swingaxle and the side that bolts into the car has a CV joint on the end of it. My dad came up with the idea 40 years ago. I can't believe no one has made this commercially available yet.....maybe I should?

www.mofoco.com

anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

THall wrote:
anon emous wrote:
Volksworld easily diagnosed the problem and only possible cure

What was the problem?

if you can grab the rocker and push the pushrod into the lifter with what just feels like light spring pressurse the lifter's empty and was probably installed out of the box without filling it with oil...and no sane person would take a fresh engine thats making noise and drive it flat footed to see if the noise goes away...but there could be any number of other issues like the cam wiping out and filling the oil with metal which would then wipe out the bearings so pulling it apart and starting over is your safest bet

without cracking open the case the root cause cannot be determined.

but someone who personally hand built over 2500 motors would know this
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
esde wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

We cut a swingaxle axle in half and cut an IRS axle in half and then welded them together so the side that goes in the transmission is swingaxle and the side that bolts into the car has a CV joint on the end of it. My dad came up with the idea 40 years ago. I can't believe no one has made this commercially available yet.....maybe I should?

But what keeps the axle (spade side) from sliding out ??
A CV joint has lots of lateral movement, whereas a swingaxle has a fixed position kept in place by the swingaxle's wheel brg/cap. This FIXED position keeps the fulcrum plates in place, otherwise they will slide behind and bind up as esde is mentioning.
What's keeping the fluid in the trans as well? Confused

I'm going to have to experiment this idea a little. If it works out well, think of the possibility of marketing the ability to sell swingaxle transmissions that can be installed into IRS cars Idea Idea Idea

And actually going the other way as well. A CV at the trans side welded to axle and tube set up to put 3:88 IRS single side cover transmissions into swingaxle cars Laughing

Might be onto something here
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
esde wrote:
[email protected] wrote:

But what keeps the axle (spade side) from sliding out ??
A CV joint has lots of lateral movement, whereas a swingaxle has a fixed position kept in place by the swingaxle's wheel brg/cap. This FIXED position keeps the fulcrum plates in place, otherwise they will slide behind and bind up as esde is mentioning.
What's keeping the fluid in the trans as well? Confused

I'm going to have to experiment this idea a little. If it works out well, think of the possibility of marketing the ability to sell swingaxle transmissions that can be installed into IRS cars Idea Idea Idea

And actually going the other way as well. A CV at the trans side welded to axle and tube set up to put 3:88 IRS single side cover transmissions into swingaxle cars Laughing

Might be onto something here

Yeah, I was looking at the set up again last night, I would need to add some pieces to hold trans fluid and a few other things IF it was marketed as a kit to put early trans in a late car or a late trans in an early car.

Send me an email and will send you some pics....

www.mofoco.com

anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

What is ironic is that thesamba community has so many fine words for mofuco and yet they are such a horrible builder! does that mean that thesamba community is wrong about the others?

here it is sunday morning and my engine still clanks. this video was taken in a drive through at wendy’s. the car in front actually asked me to shut off the motor so he could here the lady take his order

by his own words, mofuco said that the ultimate test for failure was if you could push in against the lifter. this means that the lifter is not filling with oil.

you would think that someone who personally built over 2500 engines would know what was wrong
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

anon emous wrote:
What is ironic is that thesamba community has so many fine words for mofuco and yet they are such a horrible builder! does that mean that thesamba community is wrong about the others?

here it is sunday morning and my engine still clanks. this video was taken in a drive through at wendy’s. the car in front actually asked me to shut off the motor so he could here the lady take his order

by his own words, mofuco said that the ultimate test for failure was if you could push in against the lifter. this means that the lifter is not filling with oil.

you would think that someone who personally built over 2500 engines would know what was wrong

I'm not choosing any sides here, but after reading through this issue, I have a question:

Looks like from October 2016 thru June, 2019 (about 2-1/2 yrs), you put 2200 miles on the engine.
It's November 2020 and you say your over 5000 (Feb. 2020) miles now.

If you aware of the noise and suspect internal damage to the engine, Why do you continue to run it??
Seems to me that any damage to the lifter is done, has been for years now, and continued running isn't going to fix it.

Last edited by vwinnovator on Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
anon emous wrote:

I'm not choosing any sides here, but after reading through this issue, I have a question:

Looks like from October 2016 thru June, 2019 (about 2-1/2 yrs), you put 2200 miles on the engine.
It's November 2020 and you say your over 5000 miles now.

If you aware of the noise and suspect internal damage to the engine, Why do you continue to run it??
Seems to me that any damage to the lifter is done, has been for years now, and continued running isn't going to fix it.

not that it matters
but it took 6 months for me to finish the car
then, i had to work out of town for a while and could only drive sparingly
last year was medical year for the wife so there were more important things to worry about as well as bills
i have three cars, the first is an old truck, the second is the one the wife trusts, the third is this one. my intent was to build something that i could drive. i rebuilt the rest of the car myself, except the transmission came from Benco. the front end, ball joints, gas tank, wires, pan, brakes, switches, all have been replaced.

this year i was trying to get an understanding of what was wrong. mofuco even said it was fine to drive ( it is in the email above)

i drive it when i have too. i have already bought another long block, as i have said, so i do not care if this one blows up.
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

anon emous wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
anon emous wrote:

not that it matters
last year was medical year for the wife so there were more important things to worry about as well as bills
i have three cars, the first is an old truck, the second is the one the wife trusts, the third is this one. my intent was to build something that i could drive. i rebuilt the rest of the car myself, except the transmission came from Benco. the front end, ball joints, gas tank, wires, pan, brakes, switches, all have been replaced.

this year i was trying to get an understanding of what was wrong. mofuco even said it was fine to drive ( it is in the email above)

i drive it when i have too. i have already bought another long block, as i have said, so i do not care if this one blows up.

doubtful that it will "blow-up" as long as it is producing oil pressure. worst case is noise and probably wiped lobes, but you mention several times that it is performing well. But, since it appears to be an extra car, I would take it out, tear it down, isolate the issue(s) and rebuild it or sell off the good parts. cases have gotten expensive these days...

Is you replacement long block hydraulic lifter or solid lifter?
anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

vwinnovator wrote:
anon emous wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
anon emous wrote:

not that it matters

doubtful that it will "blow-up" as long as it is producing oil pressure. worst case is noise and probably wiped lobes, but you mention several times that it is performing well. But, since it appears to be an extra car, I would take it out, tear it down, isolate the issue(s) and rebuild it or sell off the good parts. cases have gotten expensive these days...

there are a couple of problems with rebuilding. i don’t know what was done to the engine case to accommodate the hydraulic lifters. i will not go back with hydraulic. as soon as i drop the engine i will be committed.
what will i find?
if i crack the case the i have to take the approach that this is a complete rebuild.
i have searched locally and cannot find anyone that can line bore. the machine shops are not real interested in helping.

i also suspect that the guts are all empi
and i did not really want to pull the gears off the end of the crank nor press them back on.

short of there being a shop rag inside the engine, i do not think the root cause will be apparent. my suspicion is that hydraulic lifters of a homegrown design were not thoroughly thought through. did the lifter guides get damaged? if there is not sufficient flow to keep the lifter pumped up then other damage has occurred.

from what i can determine, if i replace the lifters with sold then i have to change the cam. what else? push rods? rocker arms? what sizes do i need?

there is no way i will have mofuco branded parts on my car.

as i said, i am looking for a reliable car. i assumed that buying a crate engine would help get me there. i have no issue with the other pieces of the car, but the engine block and the transmission were more than i wanted to build.

by the way, we talked about an engine
vwinnovator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

anon emous wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
anon emous wrote:
vwinnovator wrote:
anon emous wrote:

not that it matters

i have searched locally and cannot find anyone that can line bore. the machine shops are not real interested in helping.

by the way, we talked about an engine

I know of atleast a dozen who align bore, as well as I don't know a single machine shop that wouldn't take money to check out a case and do repairs if needed.

I do know that no shop would intervene in any "warranty" claim issues, especially this many years after.

But you wouldn't need an align bore for a lifter issue. Align bores are for main bearings.

You say you talked to me about an engine before? PM me and refresh my memory. anon emous doesn't ring a bell
anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Quote:
I know of atleast a dozen who align bore, as well as I don't know a single machine shop that wouldn't take money to check out a case and do repairs if needed.

I do know that no shop would intervene in any "warranty" claim issues, especially this many years after.

But you wouldn't need an align bore for a lifter issue. Align bores are for main bearings.

You say you talked to me about an engine before? PM me and refresh my memory. anon emous doesn't ring a bell

where you are there might be.
I never used the word “warranty” in any conversation.
anon emous
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

anon emous wrote:
Quote:

where you are there might be.
I never used the word “warranty” in any conversation.

as is said, i would have to treat this as a rebuild. without knowing the exact condition or the ability to measure, i would have to verify everything

below is the last thing mofuco wrote to me... he clearly does not understand how hydraulic lifters function. with this demonstrated lack of understanding from him i could not leave anything to chance.

On Mar 2, 2020, at 12:33 PM, Roy Henning <[email protected]> wrote:

Sometimes they need to be at 1 turn to stay pumped up as the extra tension sometimes causes them to bleed down.

i have already purchased an engine. this entire chain is just to leave my feedback about a builder. i presented the entire email string, i included videos, and i included additional commentary.

That is all the feedback I have
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: MOFOCO - [email protected] Reply with quote

Moderator note:
"anon emous" has a topic about his engine here, it's probably best to post any technical advice there so this feedback thread doesn't turn into a technical post and split any technical advice he is getting:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=745690

The person "Volksword" he mentioned is another member on here and posted in that thread, in case anyone was confused who he was talking about. I know I was since Volksworld is a the name of a very well-known British magazine "anon emous" is in the USA

"anon emous" - I noticed your thread is in the Late Model Beetle Forum.
It might be better to have it in the Engines section for more advice.
PM me if you want me to move it there.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 22

Jump to: