Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '66 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Tomorrow I am going to check out the wheel cylinders and then bleed the brakes if everything looks good...

It is probably worth your time and energy to go ahead and replace the wheel cylinders and the rubber brake lines if you are going to have the drum off to check them. It would suck to have one go south after you have had the drum off.
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scottvw wrote:
Quote:
Tomorrow I am going to check out the wheel cylinders and then bleed the brakes if everything looks good...

It is probably worth your time and energy to go ahead and replace the wheel cylinders and the rubber brake lines if you are going to have the drum off to check them. It would suck to have one go south after you have had the drum off.

I ended up pulling one of the rear drums off today, and the brake pads had a date stamped on them (August 2, 1981) which was only two years prior to the car being parked, so I figured it would be worth a shot just to bleed the brakes and see what they will do. They are bled now, and all the rubber fuel lines have been replaced, so maybe tomorrow I can put some gas in it and take it for a test run by my house, and then I can decide what needs to be done then...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We drove it today! That's right, my dad and I finally took the car for a drive today...The passenger's side rear brake kept sticking, though, and it started missing pretty badly after we drove it for a little bit...So I still have more work to do tomorrow. I guess I will be pulling the wheel cylinder so I can clean it up inside and put some new cups in it, and I need to figure out why it is missing still. I have new points to put in it, and the plug wires and plugs have already been replaced, so maybe that will fix it. I also ran an entire can of Sea Foam through the engine, so hopefully that helped somewhat. Also, I realized tonight that my brake lights do not work, so that is something else I am going to have to fix. Hopefully it is just corrosion on the wiring terminals, but if not I guess I am going to need a new brake light switch...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally realized what was making the engine run so badly...

Two of the plug wires were mixed up...I put them where they were supposed to go, and the engine ran great after that... Laughing

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I would give a quick update on my car...In the past couple months I have redone the brakes and bought new tires for it. It now has insurance, so once I get the registration taken care of I will be driving it. I have a '66 tag too, so hopefully I will be able to run the YOM tag and not the regular one...So hopefully the DMV people will not be complete idiots and will know what I am talking about...But just in case I am printing out the stuff about the YOM tag laws that Alabama passed recently, so they can read it themselves if they need to. I still have to replace the axle boots before I drive it anywhere, and as I have time I am going to do a few other things to it over the next few months, like replacing the muffler and starter...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

VWAdam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel G wrote:
I just thought I would give a quick update on my car...In the past couple months I have redone the brakes and bought new tires for it. It now has insurance, so once I get the registration taken care of I will be driving it. I have a '66 tag too, so hopefully I will be able to run the YOM tag and not the regular one...So hopefully the DMV people will not be complete idiots and will know what I am talking about...But just in case I am printing out the stuff about the YOM tag laws that Alabama passed recently, so they can read it themselves if they need to. I still have to replace the axle boots before I drive it anywhere, and as I have time I am going to do a few other things to it over the next few months, like replacing the muffler and starter...

Good luck with the YOM plate thing. My Dad's Bus and my Bus were the first ones our dmv did, and you could tell. They were so confused over something so simple.
Get that stuff worked out. I want to see it at the first cruise-in in a couple of months.

'59 Euro Beetle ragtop
'63 Standard Microbus

Come to my show! www.volksjam.com

Looking for badge/sticker/frame from Western Motors in Great Falls, Montana
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im in GA-whats a YOM tag?

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will definitely be there...

YOM means "year of manufacture" as in I can run a tag from 1966 on the car instead of the vintage plates...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the car registered yesterday...I was in and out of the DMV in about 20 minutes with a vintage decal to run on my 1966 plate. Now I just have to put my new axle boots on, refill the gear oil, change the motor oil, repack my front wheel bearings with grease, and get a fire extinguisher for it...I saw a pretty big ABC extinguisher at the store for about $40 that I am going to buy for now until I get all the bugs worked out and start driving the car often. Yeah I know, my car is worth more than a $40 extinguisher, but all the fuel lines have been replaced with the German braided stuff, there's no inline filter on it, and the carb fitting is still very tight.

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: