Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My '66 Barn Find
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Reader's Rides Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House wrote:
By the way, with your car only having 28k on it it must have the VW stamped muffler on it still...?

I'm not sure yet...I am pretty sure that it was hit in the rear and some of the parts were replaced, so I'm not sure about the muffler yet. Whoever fixed it did a good job though...

I don't think I will ever change my seat covers out...In fact, at some point I am going to try to find an upholstery shop that can repad my drivers seat and put the OG seat cover back on it. If I can't do that I am going to look for another OG seat with better padding than mine...

Daniel

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Transmissions For Dummies
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Congratulations on your find! It shouldnt take much to get it running again and the brake system you can do yourself and save a LOT of money. It's also very rewarding to be able to say "I did it myself". Get yourself a Bentley repair manual and you'll be well on your way.

What was the original color? It looks like Sea Sand on the inside. BTW, when you eventually have it repainted, hopefully, you will go back to the proper body-colored fender bead. Wolfsburg West reproduces Panama Beige which would be close enough. Also, was it bumped in the rear? I'm wondering why it has a '67 rear bumper on it Think

Good luck with it!
how can you tell thats a 67 bumper-I thought 66 and 67 bumpers were the same anyway?

(o\ ! /o) | o \/ o | (o)=|=(o) [o\|_|_|/o] \m/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmsmilin wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:
Congratulations on your find! It shouldnt take much to get it running again and the brake system you can do yourself and save a LOT of money. It's also very rewarding to be able to say "I did it myself". Get yourself a Bentley repair manual and you'll be well on your way.

What was the original color? It looks like Sea Sand on the inside. BTW, when you eventually have it repainted, hopefully, you will go back to the proper body-colored fender bead. Wolfsburg West reproduces Panama Beige which would be close enough. Also, was it bumped in the rear? I'm wondering why it has a '67 rear bumper on it Think

Good luck with it!
how can you tell thats a 67 bumper-I thought 66 and 67 bumpers were the same anyway?

67 was the only year the the bumper over riders sloped down towards the middle of the bumper on both sides to let the engine lid clear when opening it. Ironically, some early 67's over riders didn't have the sloping.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

67 was the only year the the bumper over riders sloped down towards the middle of the bumper on both sides to let the engine lid clear when opening it. Ironically, some early 67's over riders didn't have the sloping.

Not irony, really. Early '67s carried over the non-sloping overriders from the '66 model for a month or so into the '67 model production year.

OG member of the '67 Posse

A few of my toys, past and present
'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so 67 rears are different-are the fronts different too?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmsmilin wrote:
so 67 rears are different-are the fronts different too?

Some are. Just like not all '67s don the "SB12" headlight doors.

My Lotus White (sold new in Florida) has the regular overrider.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My recent Zenith Blue car (sold new in Iowa) has the "67-only" front overrider. You can see it has a slight protrusion at the center. It's perfect for hanging a front license plate perpendicular to the ground.

'56 Oval, '66 KG Conv't, '67 21-Window, '67 Bug, '79 SuperVert, '55 Pre-A Continental
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice comparison-
whats the deal with the SB12 Hellas-first I heard of those. I did some searching and they came on other models too. Like fastys, just 67 I assume on the fastys too then?

I saw pair recently, I know they say Hella at the top, but Im gonna have to check for that SB12 number. I didnt take them because they had a couple dents-but I guess they would be better than the rusty cheap ones I have now-dents or not right?

At least I dont think my current ones are orig. So do they make Hella rings that say just Hella with no SB 12 like that then too? And I have also seen Hella without the stamp at the top at all.

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these posts about the '67 bumpers are really interesting and very informative, but could someone start a new thread if they are going to continue? I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, but my thread has gotten hijacked somewhat...

With that being said, I will add this update:

The engine runs again, but I think it is missing or it has an exhaust leak somewhere, but it will not idle yet...I guess the carb needs to be adjusted or rebuilt. All I had to do was clean the points and pour some gas in the carb and it cranked right up.

I am also going to need a new starter, because I think the solenoid is bad in mine.

I also buffed the paint and waxed it, but I still need to detail the outside, but I figured that could wait until after I get the brakes redone...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel G wrote:
I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, but my thread has gotten hijacked somewhat...

There is no such thing as "my" thread. You make a post and it will take on a life of its own. Hopefully, at some point your question will be answered. If you have new questions, it's better to post a new topic rather than add it to "your" old topic. You may get more traffic that way, and a quicker answer Wink

jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^word-plus the OG thread is kind of old anyway...with that said-whats the deal with the SB12s 67 FL D?

jmsmilin
Samba's Most Posted

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel G wrote:
All these posts about the '67 bumpers are really interesting and very informative, but could someone start a new thread if they are going to continue? I'm not trying to come off as rude or anything, but my thread has gotten hijacked somewhat...

With that being said, I will add this update:

The engine runs again, but I think it is missing or it has an exhaust leak somewhere, but it will not idle yet...I guess the carb needs to be adjusted or rebuilt. All I had to do was clean the points and pour some gas in the carb and it cranked right up.

I am also going to need a new starter, because I think the solenoid is bad in mine.

I also buffed the paint and waxed it, but I still need to detail the outside, but I figured that could wait until after I get the brakes redone...

^why do you call your Beetle a "'66 OG Parts Beetle" that cant be just for parts? The leak should be easy to find just feel for the air being blown out-or listen. A tune up is a great start-and draining any old gas. Otherwise its a good old bug you found.

67 Florida Deluxe
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmsmilin wrote:
^word-plus the OG thread is kind of old anyway...with that said-whats the deal with the SB12s 67 FL D?

Hella SB12 headlight doors were put on some of the cars in '67. Not sure if they were just bugs, but type 3s used the same door, so it wouldnt surprise me if some were on those, as well. Some people find them desirable because, while they are '67-only, not all '67s had them (like the point I made with the bumper overrider). Thus, these parts are more "unique". As for the overriders, personally, I think the protruding overrider looks goofy unless there is a license plate hanging from it.

LordGarth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Define "headlight doors".
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGarth wrote:
Please Define "headlight doors".

Here is what Kent is talking about-

There is also a inner Hella SB12 trim chrome ring inside of this outter trim ring. It holds the headlight to the mounting frame that screws to the finder. The outter ring in the picture I posted is much more difficult to locate.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LordGarth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, well never heard them called that before. We always called them headlight buckets.
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

There is no such thing as "my" thread. You make a post and it will take on a life of its own.

I agree totally with you...I just feel that getting off topic in someone's build thread is bad forum etiquette, and I am afraid that if it continues then this thread will end up being a discussion of '67 bumpers with a few pics of my Beetle thrown in. If that is what ends up happening, I see no reason to post anything else about my car in it.

I really do think this is an interesting discussion, but I feel that a new thread would be the best place for it...Since this thread was moved to the Reader's Rides section (which is where I should have put it in the first place I guess), hopefully this will happen.

jmsmilin wrote:

^why do you call your Beetle a "'66 OG Parts Beetle" that cant be just for parts?

I thought that would be a fitting way to describe it, since all the parts were original to the car, but it is not a completely OG car because it has been repainted. However, I have been meaning to change this since it really didn't make much sense to call it that, and since you pointed that out I decided to go ahead and change it today

Now, back to my car...Does anyone know if an upholstery shop can take the original seat cover off my drivers seat, replace the padding in it, and then put the original cover back on?

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

thebucket
Samba Stockbroker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daniel G wrote:
67 Florida Deluxe wrote:

There is no such thing as "my" thread. You make a post and it will take on a life of its own.

I agree totally with you...I just feel that getting off topic in someone's build thread is bad forum etiquette, and I am afraid that if it continues then this thread will end up being a discussion of '67 bumpers with a few pics of my Beetle thrown in. If that is what ends up happening, I see no reason to post anything else about my car in it.

I really do think this is an interesting discussion, but I feel that a new thread would be the best place for it...Since this thread was moved to the Reader's Rides section (which is where I should have put it in the first place I guess), hopefully this will happen.

jmsmilin wrote:

^why do you call your Beetle a "'66 OG Parts Beetle" that cant be just for parts?

I thought that would be a fitting way to describe it, since all the parts were original to the car, but it is not a completely OG car because it has been repainted. However, I have been meaning to change this since it really didn't make much sense to call it that, and since you pointed that out I decided to go ahead and change it today

Now, back to my car...Does anyone know if an upholstery shop can take the original seat cover off my drivers seat, replace the padding in it, and then put the original cover back on?
As long as the shop is good that can be done. Wink
Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...I want to keep all the original upholstery in the car, but the driver's side seat probably needs new padding, and plus one of the seams in the cover needs to be restitched anyway...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updates:

Our VW club is having a show at the end of this month, and I want to take my beetle to it. I will have to tow it to the show, since I still need to get new tires, insurance, and a tag for it, and there is no way I can afford to get all of that done by then. Anyway, I still need to get the car running and stopping well enough that I can drive it around at the show at least. I have a new master cylinder to put in it, and for the time being I am just going to clean up the wheel cylinders and leave the rubber hoses, unless I can buy some replacements in time for the show(provided that they aren't deteriorated so badly that the brakes don't work effectively). Today I cleaned out the gas tank, which was full of rust and this fall I am going to take it back out and recoat the inside of it. I drained all the old gas out, filled it with degreaser, gravel, and hot water and sloshed it all around to break up all the loose stuff inside. Then I went to a car wash and used the high pressure soap and high pressure rinse to blast it all out inside until the water ran out clean. Tomorrow I am going to clean up the sender unit and reinstall it in the tank, and then replace the master cylinder and then out the tank back in...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Daniel G
Crazy Amish Guy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got the master cylinder replaced, and man was it a PITA...I got the old one out without any trouble, but I bolted the new one in and then the hard lines wouldn't go back on...So after about and hour of trying to get them threaded, I took the M/C back off and then I was able to get the threads started. I went to bolt the M/C back on, and I couldn't get the bolts lined up... Brick wall ...I got my younger brother to turn the bolt while I held the M/C in place, and we finally got it started. After I got all the brake stuff back together, I cleaned up the fuel gauge sending unit and put it back in the tank. It was filthy, too...There was about 1/2" of corrosion built up on it that I had to get off, and I had to work the float back and forth until it worked right again. Anyway, I put it back in the tank, and put the tank back in the car. I think the float is in backwards, though, because now it is showing the tank as being full...No big deal though, because I am going to pull the tank this fall and recoat the inside of it. Tomorrow I am going to check out the wheel cylinders and then bleed the brakes if everything looks good...

1966 Beetle

1971 Panel

1978 Westfalia Camper

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Reader's Rides All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: