Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1956 Canadian Standard
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: 1956 Canadian Standard Reply with quote

Due to the unfortunate hijacking of another thread, I'll start another one. I've added several pictures to the gallery, and here they are. The car is what I believe to be original. It's pretty gross, but not gross enough that I can't tolerate it for now. The duct tape wasn't my addition. This is exactly the way I got it.

The turn signal switch was obviously replaced at one time with whatever they had on the shelf, I would imagine, and that's why it's Ivory instead of black. The shifter and e-brake handle also should be black, and is evident by the worn paint. There is almost no rust, but there is a small hole under the foil tape on the rear right quarter, and a bit on the left rear bumper mount.

The wheels look as though they were painted body color on the inner and outer rim.

The car was manufactured in June 1956.

The front seats have been recovered in some ugly velour, which now looks like a shaved cat. They were simply too ugly, and not really relevant to the 'what the heck is a Canadian Standard', and therefore omitted to save everyone's lunch.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Canadian-spec cars came with semaphores?
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro spec cars did.
kafer53
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A canadian standard (or canadian custom) is a special model made for the canadian market by VW. They started manufacturing them in the mid 1950's to appeal to the canadian market as we were one of the early export markets.
The car is very much like the euro standard model however, it has its own unique characteristics that are unique to this model.
It should have chrome trim (door handles, hub caps, bumpers, body trim) however has no chrome trim around the windows like the deluxe cars. The dash knobs, shifter knob, heater knob, seat rails, etc are all painted black like the standard and other areas like the speaker grill is painted the body colour, it has the standard black three spoke steering wheel, it has wing nut seat hold downs, partial headliner, "plain jane" door panels and seat material (it looks like what you have is correct). "Bullet" style turn signals are correct for this model (no semi's like the euro standards).
One unique thing with them is that they have hydraulic brakes and a syncro gear box for 2-4 gear.
Hope this helps. Congrats on your car! It looks to be fairly complete. They are very unique Smile
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again kafer. I just wish my interior was in better shape. I'm going to pull the tape off the door panels, and see what's under there. I may recover them temporarily, and try to clean the rest, so my wife isn't so disgusted with it.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice car!
I'm glad it has gone to a good home, I was afraid that car was on the slippery slope to getting slammed.
I looked at it in the PO's garage last winter and was impressed with the lack of rust.
Hopefully you can patch up the interior to get it respectable.
Do you know any of the history of the car?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
warcrocop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956 Canadian Standard Reply with quote

guzziguy wrote:
The car is what I believe to be original. It's pretty gross, but not gross enough that I can't tolerate it for now.

That car isn't gross. I think it's pretty sweet. I'd roll it.
139...sweeeet
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riff Raff wrote:

Hopefully you can patch up the interior to get it respectable.
Do you know any of the history of the car?

Well, under the tape on the door panels, the fabric is fine, just needs to be reunited with the panel.

I was hoping all along that you'd know something about this car. I've heard it came from Edmonton, but there is also a Sask inspection sticker on the door jam.

Know where I can get an 8" beam for this thing so I can make it 'sick as f@#$'? Kidding.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guzziguy wrote:
Euro spec cars did.

kafer53 wrote:
"Bullet" style turn signals are correct for this model (no semi's like the euro standards).

Interesting. I thought Canadian Deluxes used semaphores as well.
Mowser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RareAir wrote:
guzziguy wrote:
Euro spec cars did.

kafer53 wrote:
"Bullet" style turn signals are correct for this model (no semi's like the euro standards).

Interesting. I thought Canadian Deluxes used semaphores as well.

Welcome to the great white north. Not exactly a semiphore friendly climate.

cdennisg wrote:
If I was in this for big money, I wouldn't be in it.
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steveo_32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: 56 cnd std Reply with quote

I have a jungle green 56 cnd std minus you turn signal assembly (should be black) you will have what everone has said.
Nice car good find!
I also have Black wiper arms.
and a pushbutton start, but i believe the start button was a option purchase or dealer installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good eye on the wiper arms. The mounts should be black, and the arms are actually a thick wire, not flat.

I think I have a spare black signal light switch housing for you. I'll check tonight and let you know.

Edit: I traded the PO a radio for that for a bus muffler, did you get the radio with it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought '53 was the last year for the wire style wipers.
Weird.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 57 CS that came with the wire arms. That's all I'm basing it on.

Actually, I think I still have those arms. Confused
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, I'm pretty sure you said they were incorrect wiper arms when you saw the car. I still think it's remarkable that so many vehicles are found very close to stock, considering 50 years, of which 30 where the car was worthless, and could have made a good dune buggy.
smuenchrath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job on the car - glad to see someone finally bought it! We had looked at it about a year ago, but was told it was sold to someone.

Any thoughts on what you are going to do with the interior? Not too many decent original Canadian Standards out there.

You may want to check out www.classicvws.com if you are looking to do a good restoration on the interior. Not cheap though...
Dave Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the topic of bullets. Canadian cars got amber bullets, US got clear. Making those canadian bullets. Sweet ride.

Dave
guzziguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smuenchrath wrote:
Good job on the car - glad to see someone finally bought it! We had looked at it about a year ago, but was told it was sold to someone.

Any thoughts on what you are going to do with the interior? Not too many decent original Canadian Standards out there.

You may want to check out www.classicvws.com if you are looking to do a good restoration on the interior. Not cheap though...

I'm going to put some cheap vinyl covers from WCM, and do something to the door panels, but have no fear, this will be temporary, just so my wife can handle riding in it. $$$ are tight, so the $1800 interior will have to wait, and be done with the paint. I even suggested to a friend, that I buy something ugly like red (nothing wrong with red, but doesn't look good with light blue), to ensure the interior gets done right when there is more $. Until then, I'm just going to drive t and enjoy (which I really am! I wonder if I'll even ride the bike this summer?).
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guzziguy wrote:
smuenchrath wrote:

I'm going to put some cheap vinyl covers from WCM, and do something to the door panels, but have no fear, this will be temporary, just so my wife can handle riding in it. $$$ are tight, so the $1800 interior will have to wait, and be done with the paint. I even suggested to a friend, that I buy something ugly like red (nothing wrong with red, but doesn't look good with light blue), to ensure the interior gets done right when there is more $. Until then, I'm just going to drive t and enjoy (which I really am! I wonder if I'll even ride the bike this summer?).

This summer? try tomorrow sucka. If the rain holds off I'll be on the road before 10am.
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the black "body" to the turn signal switch, but not the other half for the back side of the steering column.
If you want that half, PM me your address and I'll get it out to you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: