Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts New!  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

um need help with master cylinder
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
montemerrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: um need help with master cylinder Reply with quote

dear folks

i posted earlier about this and am re-submitting the problem due to no responses and i do need help.

apparently where the brake light switch screws into the master cylinder is leaking and i need it to stop - i also will need the van to get off of this island and to a mechanic if i screw anything up - right now it stops but ruins my shoes with brake fluid drip drip dripping - i'd like to fix it but dont too much like the idea of sticking a wrench on anything inside the dashboard like that without some sort of encouragement from the assembled panel of you all.

merci

monte
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the sender loose? have you tried to tighten it with your fingers?
montemerrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes sir i did - ii cant move it by hand and it truly seems like its leaking from right where it screws into the master cylinder and it almost to my eye seems slightly crooked, but then i look around these days and everything looks slightly crooked and i'm forced to surmise that maybe its me -

but anyway, brake fluid leaks right down the "sender" onto the wires and then on to some more wires and the onto the toe of my left shoe - sawdust sticks to it now a lot more than the other shoe -

i'm totally game to unplug the wire and uinscrew the sender and then screw it in right unless i need to have something on hand "in the event of" or "because one never...... without......"

thank you kindly
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threads on the sender are a pipe type where the tightening of the piece forces the male and female threads together creating the seal.

Provided the sender is not cross threaded, cracked or otherwise damaged, tightening it should solve your leak problem. You really have no choice but to try tightening it yourself or return it to the mechanics to have them do it.

If you decide to do it yourself, it might be wise to have a rag handy just in case the sender is cracked and comes apart as you try tightening it. Otherwise the fluid might just drain all over inside your van.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: um need help with master cylinder Reply with quote

"off the coast of bellingham" and "need the van to get off of this island" are you on lummi? if so, i don't mind taking a look at your situation and offering any advice. johns vw in fairhaven is a good place to go for the professional opinion if you so desire. -dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: