Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

First trip report
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: First trip report Reply with quote

I finally got a few days to take my Westy on its first camping trip (first with me at least). Everything was going fine until I smelled coolant. Very soon after the low-coolant light started blinking! I pulled over immeditalty and followed the green trail to the rear heater! That thing is evil! So, I needed something to plug the hoses with, and the only thing I had that size was AA batteries. I pulled the hoses off the heater, inserted the batteries and tightened up the hose clamp. I then bled the system quickly, and I was on the road again. We went to Medecino National Forest for two nights and I only saw one other vehicle near Paskenta, CA. Other than that there was nobody anywhere in those mountains. I did get stuck on a remote side road. The left rear wheel came up off the road and I lost all traction. Now I want a Syncro. Here are a few pics:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Night #2 looking out at the valley.

Campfire at Camp #2

Who needs a Synco?

I need a Syncro!

No traction!
Waldemar Sikorski
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to apply the handbrake.
Rodknock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a Land Rover.

I like that part of CA. It is the only part that's not crowded. Just watch out for the guys growing cash crops back there, they lack a sense of humor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Just watch out for the guys growing cash crops back there, they lack a sense of humor.

That is a real concern in that area. I think this time of year is too early, but ya never know. I always stay on the road or established trails anywhere in Nor Cal. It's when you go cross country on foot that could be a problem. And when I go to the National Forest I always have my 40 cal life insurance with me and I am a pretty good shot.

Last edited by woggs1 on Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: The Vanagonaut Reply with quote

I'm hip!

Cool

I'm mellow!

Dancing

I'm NRA LIFE, BABY!

:2gunfire:

Peace! And don't tread on me, either.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
klucz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing what a 2wd Vanagon can do. Nice and dirty, too. I'd lose the hubcaps if it were mine, and maybe invest in some A/T tires. Nice pics BTW.
woggs1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a hunter who was killed by pot growers a couple years ago near Cherokee, CA. The growers around here now days aren't the peace and love variety anymore. Now they are criminal organizations who use illegal Mexicans to tend the crop. And they are well armed and have nothing to lose. Now if they would just legalize the stuff and concentrate on the real problems, then we could have our mountains back.
Dogpilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be nice if they just legalized the stuff. It is never going to happen. The liquor lobbies will see to that. Besides. the government is none to interested as well. Go to any western states (east has weird liquor laws) supermarket. Count the number of isles dedicated to liquor. You will find that it occupies 4 times the shelf space of any other product category. This tells you two things; people want the stuff and it makes a tremendous profit.

Alcoholism is a major cause and effect of poverty. The government extracts a major source of revenue from booze taxes on the local, county, state and federal level. This is a tax that is primarily directed at and paid for by the poor. All the rhetoric is directed at income taxes, but nobody ever talks about booze taxes. Booze taxes are the United States oldest form of tax. While I was in the military, we could buy tax free booze, at typically 1/5 the price to consumers on the outside.

So in light of this, why would they ever allow you to have legal any form of alcohol substitute that you could, with ease, produce on your own. The billion dollar beverage industry would howl.

Personally, I have never met a heroin addict that didn't drink beer or smoke cigarettes! We should ban these evil stepping stones to hard drugs! I have met several addicts, my brother was hooked for some time. He finally kicked the habit, but still smokes and drinks.
08 Range Rover SC
08 VW Rabbit S
1951 O-1G
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woggs1 wrote:
There was a hunter who was killed by pot growers a couple years ago near Cherokee, CA. The growers around here now days aren't the peace and love variety anymore. Now they are criminal organizations who use illegal Mexicans to tend the crop. And they are well armed and have nothing to lose. Now if they would just legalize the stuff and concentrate on the real problems, then we could have our mountains back.

Man I couldn't agree more.

I liked your photos. I run my 2WD Westy on roads like that all the time. Heck, I've been running all manner of VWs on roads like that for 35 years. The key seems to be momentum. When I see a situation where I might get a wheel in the air I blast through it. Usually knocks crap off the shelves but the chassis on these Westy's seem bomb-proof.
'96 BMW R1100GS
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: This weekend, you need to remove your flooring and clean up the heater mess. When I first got our van, it would smell to the Gods inside on a hot day. The accumulated crud of old grass, petrified french fries, old Coke, dirt, etc mixed with the coolant created a real nasty funk. Only way was to Fabreeze the floor. Now it has a nice neutral smell, even on the hottest days.

A reason I raised my Westy to a proud 18.25 inches is so I can go to 90% of the places a syncro can and not be bothered with the extra problems the 4x4 brings with it. I drive up and over things from time to time just to practice.....

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
When I first got our van, it would smell to the Gods inside on a hot day. The accumulated crud of old grass, petrified french fries, old Coke, dirt, etc mixed with the coolant created a real nasty funk. .....

I believe that smell is called......... MATURITY

Now I know what's under the couch in old people's houses.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also call that smell..... PATINA! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: