Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic shifter linkage adjustment
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

The Bentley doesn't really explain this, or else I'm overlooking it. My 85 Westy has the 3-speed auto transmission. It shifts fine and seems to work fine, but my problem is with the shifter itself.

When it's in PARK, the shifter stalk lines up with the "P" indicator on the console. No problem there. But when I want to back out of my driveway, to engage "REVERSE" my shifter actually lines up with the "N" indicator on the console. (Reverse lights also don't work unless I push the lever towards the front) To engage DRIVE, I have to line it up with the "1" position on the console. So it seems everything is one notch off.

In addition, if I needed to, I don't think I could get the shifter into 1st gear, I can't physically get the shift lever back as far as it would need to be.

I'm thinking that something in the linkage needs to be aligned or adjusted. Anyone ran into this problem before?

Also, a minor issue,the shift button upon the handle vibrates at around 65mph and makes an irratating buzzing sound. Any way to tighten that up?

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captainpartytime
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My shifter button also vibrates with an irritating tapping! I just thought I was obsessive compulsive about my van! I'm actually working on a solution right now (other than holding the button while I drive) as I have the whole mechanism taken apart. Will post an update if I find anything.

1982 turbo diesel Westfalia
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain, not that we're anal or aything, but that is a pretty annoying buzz generated by that button!!

Anyone have any advice on my bigger issue, that of getting the gear selections to line up correctly??

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bcassin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Hiram6, did you ever solve your bigger problem of lining up the shift points? I’m experiencing a similar issue.
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Bcassin wrote:
Hiram6, did you ever solve your bigger problem of lining up the shift points? I’m experiencing a similar issue.

I reconnected a shift linkage cable on my 1990 automatic last weekend. I. It's previous life someone removed it. At first the idea was intimidating, but once you get in there and start adjusting the linkage there's not much you can mess up.

I know this is old but hopefully helps someone. Adjustment is in the Bentley in section 37. I had my van on jack stands and actually adjusted the fore section of the linkage where it connects to the selector handle ( thing you adjust ) on the bottom of the van above the spare tire. There is a 1" slot in the linkage cable that you can move it forward and back to adjust how it pulls the transmission gear selector at the other end of the cable. You should be able to make all your adjustments here.

The reason I had it on jack stands was so I could tell when it was in P as well as Nuetral. Then i knew I had adjusted it correctly or close.
vredondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Hi there
I'm having the same issue but in my case I need to go all the way down from P to 1st to engage reverse, I tried to adjust the linkage as the Bentley manual suggest at section 37 but that doesn't still let me engage reverse at the right shift position... Any suggestions?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

vredondo wrote:
Hi there
I'm having the same issue but in my case I need to go all the way down from P to 1st to engage reverse, I tried to adjust the linkage as the Bentley manual suggest at section 37 but that doesn't still let me engage reverse at the right shift position... Any suggestions?
I’m trying to understand this, are you moving the shifter back up from 1st gear back to Reverse, and it works then?
Or are you so off in shifter adjustment that Reverse works way down in 1st, which then makes me wonder how you get Drive… Shocked
Check your cable for signs of breaking, I would be surprised if the normal adjustment slotting at the bottom of the shifter could get you this far out of adjustment, it seems like a worn part is adding to your issue.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
vredondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Hi jlrftype7
Thanks for reply, as you said "are you so off in shifter adjustment that Reverse works way down in 1st" that's my current issue but it didn't happen suddenly, it started first as hiram6 describe in the first post of this thread, now the shifter is so off that I can't engage nothing else than P and R, I do not see anything break or loose in the linkage, so I'm guessing that as you said there must be a worn part, not in the linkage but in the gear box
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

You can carefully remove the clip that holds the shift cable to the trans linkage.( have a magnet RIGHT next to the clip as you’re removing it so it doesn’t go flying on you)
Then, with the cable now removed off the linkage , you then manually move the trans linkage through all the possible gears and see if all of them feel like they’re getting into each detent as you select them.

If that all went well, you’re back to looking over the rear section of the shift cable. I can take a picture of my spare cable if you need to see how it’s constructed. I’m worried you only have a few strands acting as the cable.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
I’m worried you only have a few strands acting as the cable.

it's not a cable. it's a solid wire with the ends swaged on.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
vredondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Hi guys,
So I find out that the problem is with the lever for the selector cable, is worn and it not moving the lever shaft properly, the solution could be weld the lever with the shaft, but Im not sure how feasible could be find those parts

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Help us here a bit, is your problem that the "lever for selector cable" if coming apart and has gotten play in it? or is the problem between the "lever for selector cable" and the "operating lever with shift segment for manual valve"?
vredondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

Hi Wildthings,
Yes, the lever for selector cable is coming apart and has gotten play in it, if I put the lever in the position P (pushing to the rear as the Bently manual suggest to adjust the linkage section 37.3, fig 4) and then try to push forward looking to engage R the lever is quite loosed and when it's close to the end it somehow it gets less loosed and engages the R, but there is no more space to keep pushing and engaging the rest of gears
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic shifter linkage adjustment Reply with quote

vredondo wrote:
Hi Wildthings,
Yes, the lever for selector cable is coming apart and has gotten play in it, if I put the lever in the position P (pushing to the rear as the Bently manual suggest to adjust the linkage section 37.3, fig 4) and then try to push forward looking to engage R the lever is quite loosed and when it's close to the end it somehow it gets less loosed and engages the R, but there is no more space to keep pushing and engaging the rest of gears

Probably not too hard to find another lever as the basic 010 transmission was used in other VW and Audi products of the era. If you find you need to have it welded you will have to figure out how to clock the lever accurately or your shifting will never be right.
Dennis Ku
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2022 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

captainpartytime wrote:
My shifter button also vibrates with an irritating tapping! I just thought I was obsessive compulsive about my van! I'm actually working on a solution right now (other than holding the button while I drive) as I have the whole mechanism taken apart. Will post an update if I find anything.

I had the same issue and the root cause is that there is one spring in shifter and it is vibrating and touching the shifter bracket.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: