Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does the insert in window rubber serve a purpose?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DINK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Does the insert in window rubber serve a purpose? Reply with quote

The formerly chrome insert in all my Vanagon window rubber is old and worn out. Does it serve any purpose or is it purely cosmetic?

Thanks
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you remove it the rubber seals will back away towards the glass a bit since the strip is no longer filling the gap; it's more noticeable at the corners. I removed my old worn-out chrome trim and that's what happened and nothing else; the windows are still firmly held after several years. A lot of people have done this and some people have warned against it but I've never seen proof that it creates problems.

Good luck
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
takitezy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also took out my chrome in an 77. The window did not seal as well. If the seals are old and cracked get new ones, and don't worry about getting the ones for the chrome they both should seal equally as well.
DINK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a new windshield on the way. It will have a new "cal look" seal as opposed to one with the insert. I'm just waiting on a few good weather days where I can remove the old one, do some paint touch up and then have the winshield installed.

Thanks
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the side and rear windows, vaseline helps to restore some of the elasticity in older rubber. Just apply a thick film and leave it on overnight. Just wipe it off. I'm in the S.F. Bay Area so the sun hasn't been that harsh and the rubber on the old van is in pretty good shape and still pliant.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Use Fresh Babies... Reply with quote

I get very good results on all things rubber, vinyl and even hard plastic with baby oil, cheaper the better. Just use a clean rag (A perished pair of briefs is excellent) and rub it on.

If there's still some on the surface in a week, you could wipe it off, but people are always amazed at the condition of our cars, and Winston's plastic and vinyl look startlingly nice. It works just fine on the window seals, although the outer oxidized layer will come off on the rag. I do those last.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: