Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Swingaxle Transmission Recommendations?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Swingaxle Transmission Recommendations? Reply with quote

Mine is popping out of second. Anybody got a recommendation for a source for a rebuilt one?
Yellowbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kcrtrans.com/home.html
Thanks. Thread went from me not being able to understand what Ipis was saying because English is obviously not his first language to me not being able to understand it because English is my first language Laughing

Fuel pumps galore:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=845378
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my last one from Transworks. But I've noticed they will now only rebuild stock trannies "on-demand" - that is, send them yours and they'll rebuild it. The one I got from them a couple of years ago, which is in my 62, has been the best rebuilt tranny I've ever had though, and if/when I need one for my other bug I'll probably send them one to rebuild.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebug66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I don't think that I would have been able to find out about these places w/o your help.
Boost
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all,

Quick question on the 6v and 12v stock swing axle trans. Do the 12v units have different gear ratios than the earlier 6v? Also, is the 12v unit already clearanced for the larger flywheel? Any other differences? The KCR site has both 6v and 12v listed under stock trans. If I'm planning on keeping the stock 1200 but converting to 12v would the 12v trans from KCR be the way to go?

Thanks,
Rob
dlxcoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one I had KCR do.. I am installing a 1600 in my 64 and KCR installed the 4.12 gears because of the larger engine
KCR will know what is best depending on what engine you will be running. The 6V 12V is a simple matter. You will get basically the same case - just set up the way you want it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends how the rebuilder of the tranny built it. Any 6V tranny can be clearanced for 12V, and various combinations of differentials and gears can be put in them.

If you are talking about completely stock trannies - for 12V, in the USA that would be 1967 and 1968, those were also the first years for a "taller" (lower number) final drive ratio 4.125:1 instead of 4.375:1. The stock 6V USA trannies from 1961-1966 have the same gearing in them.

So it depends on how you want to convert to 12V. Most people that have a 1200 in them keep the stock flywheel and starter, as the later O-ring style flywheels aren't a bolt-on replacement for the "step" style flywheel that the 1200 used. If you do it that way, then you can keep the tranny set up as 6V. If you do want to go to a 200mm flywheel, (you can buy special adapter flywheels and I've heard of people making a modification to their crank or flywheel to make the O-ring type flywheel fit on them.) Then you'd need to tell them to sell you a 6V tranny but clearanced for 12V. Another thing to think about is do you want a backup light switch. I did on my 62, so I told Transworks to use a nosecone that had the switch.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FG1732
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: transworks transmission Reply with quote

Transworks tranny,

I purchased a done up Transworks freeway flyer tranny (plus xtra beef up kit with 3.88 ring/pinion....$971) exactly a year ago for my daily driver. Walked in the front door, paid cash, did everything in person. Started jumping out of 4th after 5k miles...got worse and worse...had numerous adjustments made professionally, nothing worked....now I cant drive in 4th without holding it in gear full time. Got the two year warranty and even had it installed by a shop that Transworks recommended.

I contacted them this week about getting it done right, lets see what happens (I have all paperwork and documentation....everythings legit).

Just wanted to let everyone know...since it was a samba-post in which I was referred to Transworks.

Antonio
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for the info. I've never heard of ANY transworks tranny popping out of 4th gear. I've not had a lick of trouble with how mine was built, and it might very well be me that recommended you to see them. I feel bad if you have had a bad experience (I had a few bad tranny build experiences prior to this Transworks tranny) However since Transworks' website is full of pride on how well they build their trannies and how they redo the 4th gear so it won't have issues, they darn well BETTER fix this. I had one issue with them on my tranny due to shipping damage (nothing to do with the rebuild itself) and they were very nice about taking care of it. Keep us informed!

Just this morning I got home after putting about 1000 miles in my other VW, which has a howling 4th gear and pops out of 2nd sometimes when downshifting, and so was thinking about looking into getting a Transworks replacement. (well, I guess you have to send them one to rebuild now, as they don't stock built stock trannies anymore, just build to spec)

-Andy
hpw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: transworks transmission Reply with quote

Antonio2 wrote:
Transworks tranny,

I purchased a done up Transworks freeway flyer tranny (plus xtra beef up kit with 3.88 ring/pinion....$971) exactly a year ago for my daily driver. Walked in the front door, paid cash, did everything in person. Started jumping out of 4th after 5k miles...got worse and worse...had numerous adjustments made professionally, nothing worked....now I cant drive in 4th without holding it in gear full time. Got the two year warranty and even had it installed by a shop that Transworks recommended.

I contacted them this week about getting it done right, lets see what happens (I have all paperwork and documentation....everythings legit).

Just wanted to let everyone know...since it was a samba-post in which I was referred to Transworks.

Antonio

I'm trying to do my homework as I'm in need of a transmission for

my 66ghia. Have you had any response/repairs done yet Question If so

what has been the outcome Question
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: