Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to beetle engines and maintaining them
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
kid on the block
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: New to beetle engines and maintaining them Reply with quote

Ok here's the story... Long time ago over 20 years ago my dad had a late 70's beetle. The body on it was deteriorated beyond repair. Soon enough my dad built a three wheel motorcycle using the engine from the beetle. We recently rebuilt the three wheeler in 00-01 to near perfect condition. Over a year ago my dad passed away and I would like to keep the three wheeler going for as long as possible for him. So I have a few questions since I've never worked on beetles before and I'm in need of some guidance on where to start.

There are some issues that have come up since 01. Firstly, after the engine heats up it has a hard time keeping at idle after revving the engine and in most cases stalls. I have temporarily fixed the problem by adjusting the idle needle but now the engine idles too high. Another thing I would like to know is what kind of back pressure the engine needs since the exhaust is almost open pipe and twice as large as the original exhaust system. Also I recently changed the oil in the engine and was wondering where the oil filter was if there even is one. Hmm... what else. I would also like to convert the drum brakes to discs since the drums do all the braking for the three wheeler so if someone could lead me to a site where I can buy a conversion kit that would be great. I think the last thing I'm concerned about now is the suspension and the rubbers. I'm wondering how the rear suspension works in a beetle because all I see is a strut. Any help whatsoever and or tips for making this thing last as long as possible would be great. ~Josh~
kid on the block
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and one other thing I forgot to ask is, does the transmission need any type of fluid or any other lubricant? Thanks. ~Josh~
JThw8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best advice I can give anyone wanting to learn more about VWs and how to take care of them is to start with this book.

It will put you on the right path

http://www.amazon.com/Keep-Volkswagen-Alive-Step-S...amp;sr=8-5
minskbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't answer everything for you, but one thing I can. If you engine is stock, there is no oil filter on it. You just have to change the oil more often (depending on your mood - some people do it every 1K, some 3K), just realize the only way to get it clean is to change it. The little round screen on the bottom of the sump is just that, a screen to keep large particles/chunks from getting into the pickup tube.

As for your tranny, you didn't saw exactly what kind you've got in your bike. If its the stock tranny from the bug, since you said late 70's, its probably IRS. That means, you've got CV joints on the half axles, not stiff swing axles. This is like any other manual transmission - takes heavy weight oil, like 80w90. On the left side of the tranny (assuming its sitting as it would have in the car) there is a plug that takes a 17mm allen wrench to unscrew. This is the fill hole. Before draining the tranny, make sure this plug comes out so you can refill it. Then, on the bottom of the tranny is the same size plug, that's the drain. Do like you would on any manual, drain the old oil, put the plug back in, and fill to the bottom of the fill hole, then put that plug in.

As for idling, etc., you're best to do a complete tune up to start with. Adjust your valves, check/change points, etc. Get a tach/dwell meter, a timing light, and a little patience. Oh, and get a Bently manual for the VW. It will be more than what you need, but at least you'll be able to read up on the engine tuning part, since that's what you've got left from the bug.

Oh, and brake conversions. There are several kits out there, check out some of the parts houses:
toplineparts.com
aircooled.net
cip1.com
wolfsburgwest.com
jbugs.com

Those should get you started. Do some searches on this forum, there's lots of info out there. Just make sure you're looking at the rear brake set up, they're different from the front, and most people do the fronts only and leave stock rear drums, since on a car the fronts do more of the actual braking.

OK, so I gave you more than I thought. I'm no expert, but at least you can get started in the right direction.
72 Super #2 - awaiting a heart transplant
03 Subie Baja - who doesn't like another boxer motor?
kid on the block
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks minskbeetle and JThw8. This will now at least give me a point to start at. ~Josh~
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: