Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

oil pressure?????
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bazzamon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:13 am    Post subject: oil pressure????? Reply with quote

I have just done up (rings bearings & head job) a 1600cc Golf engine (FN) for a mate of mine who uses the car for motorsport/motorkhanas/rally sprint etc. I have rebuilt a lot of these engines & am quite familiar with them. After running engine in on the road for approx 200kms he started in a motorkhana event and & after about 2 mins running time (at high revs) the motor lost its oil pressure suddenly. He immediately pulled out & we towed the car home. Have pulled the sump off & oil pump out & checked for run bearings Question but cant find a fault. Has anyone had this problem or give us a clue please ???
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe when he revved the engine real high it forced the oil pressure relief valve farther than it normally goes and it got stuck wide open, not allowing pressure to be built up in the system. The Oil pump itself may be suspect. Just my 2cents.
Jon
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the oil pressure sender installed. If it is in the head, the reading may be inaccurate. The reading should be taken from the filter housing. We race watercooled vw's and use a baffled pan and an accusump. At an autocross there would be quite a bit of oil sloshing away from the pickup. We also use a Melling aftermarket oil pump. It has a cast iron housing instead of aluminum and is less affected by heat. If you have the pan off and the pump out, it would be easy enough to check the relief valve. I would also get an external guage to test with. You could also look inside the oil cap and see if oil is getting pumped to the cylinder head. I also had a cam journal pull the studs on a high lift cam and lost a lot of oil pressure. Good luck testing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: