Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seen in Florida -- '41 Kubel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, just Kuebel chariots. Wink

Were the owners of the Kuebel in Florida even interested in attending a VW meet? A fella right here in my office (northern NJ) also is an active WW2 reenactment fan, who also has a supposedly very nice genuine Kuebel. Buddy of his has a Schwimmwagen... Shocked He's showed me photos of the Kuebel but I've never seen it in person. Over the years I've encouraged him to bring it to some of the larger VW meets like Terryville or Litchfield in CT but he prefers to stay with the reenactments. Office guy recently bought a KoobleKar (replica Kuebel based on a modern Beetle pan) to "fool" most "outsiders" while cruising and to "protect" his real one.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope. Absolutely no interest in the VW scene or the Samba. These guys have their own network, and apparently can find cars and parts as easy as we can. (Or easier.) But that doesn't mean they don't love VWs. The owner of the Kubel was coveting my split.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
All right, enough of the renaissance stuff. No cool motor vehicles back then. Very Happy

No way...... slam this bitch on some earlies.... it would look cool with a flame job...... I mean.. look at this thing.. its bone stock...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
FreakCitySF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So they have the authentic cars,uniforms and weapons

but what they really need is an authentic bunker.

I don't think foamcore scene in the photo is realistic enough.

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Bunker-with-unknown-con...dZViewItem
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Could be worse:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Uh-oh! LARP!! Laughing

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
bgs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh I wonder if that motorcycle is an orig Axis BMW R71
or the R75 with a true Axis BMW sidecar. Or the Zundapp
KS 750..Either way, one doesn't see many of those anymore.

Sorry to go off-topic.
ScrapJunkie
(O\U|U/O)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreakCitySF wrote:
So they have the authentic cars,uniforms and weapons

but what they really need is an authentic bunker.

I don't think foamcore scene in the photo is realistic enough.

I wanna know what's in there...if anything..
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Germanpride wrote:
FreakCitySF wrote:

I wanna know what's in there...if anything..

16 truckloads of old tires and miscellaneous junk everyone in the village dumped in there until someone finally bricked it up, and one hell of a big bill to demolish the thing after the government comes along and condems it for being structurally unsound.

No thanks.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon uk wrote:
owning a kubel as an interesting historic vehicle is one thing but getting dressed up in a nazi uniform is something else. My grandfather fought them and I dont think it is in particularly good taste to re-enact battles where people obviously find the nazi ideology close enough to them to wear their uniforms. You occasionally see TV footage of neo-nazi groups these days. I wouldnt mind seeing them getting up close and personal with some modern day "Allied" country soldiers and seeing how much they like it. They would probably be quite happy to have a pop at some young kid whose colour or religion they didnt like though.

I agree................I never understood the mentality that it takes to dress up and play soldier. Having been in the military, I think it's like a bunch of cub scouts that never grew up. It's offensive to me that anyone wants to "play" soldier. (Must make them feel special for a day I guess. Rolling Eyes) Join the Reserves and spend your "play" time on somthing worthwhile if you're that attracted to a uniform.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

53 0val wrote:
I agree................I never understood the mentality that it takes to dress up and play soldier. Having been in the military, I think it's like a bunch of cub scouts that never grew up. It's offensive to me that anyone wants to "play" soldier. (Must make them feel special for a day I guess. Rolling Eyes) Join the Reserves and spend your "play" time on somthing worthwhile if you're that attracted to a uniform.

Don't get me started...I signed-up to a para-military force when I was younger.

I was drummed out of the Boy Scouts after 3 weeks. Couldn't come to terms with being in Pewit Patrol. Embarassed
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon uk wrote:
sounds fair enough then I suppose. Perhaps us Brits are more sensitive to this kind of thing. We have fought wars against nearly everyone at some point in our history though, but if we play someone at sports for example, then Germany are our biggest rivals, and I am sure a lot of this is to do with fighting the wars. I am sure it is the same for some of the other european countries as well. I wonder how long it will take for this to subside?

Si.

at one time england attempted to conquer the world.......

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuñado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UZI wrote:

at one time england attempted to conquer the world.......

"Attempted?" At one time "The Sun never set on The British Empire" but I won't be appologising for that...remember I was only in The Scouts for 3 weeks. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John, your avatar image looks suspiciously like a swastika when it stops spinning. (Cue Twilight Zone theme.)
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Hey John, your avatar image looks suspiciously like a swastika when it stops spinning. (Cue Twilight Zone theme.)

Some misguided souls have said that before...you'll be pleased to hear it's a spinning Judson Supercharger Rotor Very Happy Vrooooom, Vrooooom.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm familiar with the sliding vanes, John. Wink

Greg
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:43 pm    Post subject: Kubel stories Reply with quote

When I had my 42 kubel... while just driving around... I found that the car made a few older people VERY VERY VERY unhappy. It was full of bullet holes and schrapnel scars. One older woman started crying and couldn't even speak to me to explain. An old man got up from an outdoor cafe and started yelling at me leaning on his cane...."BOY...the last time I saw one of them I was SHOOTING at it!". etc etc.

Think twice before buying a Kubel. Yes... they are interesting and fun... until the pain caused by the people who drove them overcomes you.

That is when I sold mine.
RAMZROD
Hammered™ Apparel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kubel stories Reply with quote

overrestored wrote:
When I had my 42 kubel... while just driving around... I found that the car made a few older people VERY VERY VERY unhappy. It was full of bullet holes and schrapnel scars. One older woman started crying and couldn't even speak to me to explain. An old man got up from an outdoor cafe and started yelling at me leaning on his cane...."BOY...the last time I saw one of them I was SHOOTING at it!". etc etc.

Think twice before buying a Kubel. Yes... they are interesting and fun... until the pain caused by the people who drove them overcomes you.

That is when I sold mine.

I agree with you. Don't get me wrong, i appreciate seeing an ex-German vehicle survive after so many years and that someone in my generation can see a vehicle from that era. But let's face it. I would have rather have seen 1,000's of Jews survive instead of that vehicle!

looking for vintage plate frame from Ramsey, NJ
Bus Build Page
http://www.hammeredapparel.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well stated. I think these cars can be owned and preserved while staying respectful toward the history, but this is a very valid point. It was a cruel killing war, and the Germans were the "bad guys."

And going back to the re-enactment for a moment, it was basically a demonstration of how our grandparents lived, coped and fought. It was a very moving tribute. The Germans were just a footnote of the presentation.

Sometimes when I take my car out I'll have somebody come up and call it Hitler's car. Usually it's a drive-by, but if they care to engage me in debate, I'll remind them that the success of the Volkswagen was a major part of the German economic miracle, which through economics, eventually won the cold war by bringing East Germany to its knees.

Last edited by Blue Baron on Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:
Sometimes when I take my car out I'll have somebody come up and call it Hitler's car.

I'm surprised because living here in the U.K. nobody has ever made that comment to me. Also I don't want to be pedantic here and I know you didn't mean it in an offensive way but Germans were never the bad guys...Nazis were the bad guys. German soldiers were just the same as US soldiers and British soldiers, they were doing their duty, defending their way of life.

We all have a lot of very good friends on The Samba from all parts of the world and when the subject is of a sensitive nature we have to measure our words carefully.

The war was against an ideology not a people....lecture over. Carry on Smile
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the deliniation between the soldiers and the ideology is right on the mark, and I went back and put "bad guys" in quotation marks.

Chalk the comments I've heard up to ignorance and a lack of decorum. They are usually muttered as drive-by comments at all-makes car shows by some neanderthal who has nothing better to do than run somebody else's car down. Most of the time these winners don't even have a car of their own.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: