Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seen in Florida -- '41 Kubel
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating discussion! I just wanted to say that cars are just like guns, they don't kill, it's the people handling them that kill. Of course certain emotions are brought on when somebody who has experienced the horrors of war, any war, sees a physical reminder of this war; namely a vehicle or a uniform. Just my very personal opinion is that when I see someone parading in a Soviet red army uniform, well, to me it just as bad as seeing someone in a Nazi uniform. Many may not agree, but I really do not see a difference there. Considering the history of just 50 years ago, and what has been said in this thread, I just wonder what will someone of, say, an Arabic descent in 50 years time will feel upon seeing a restored Hummer driving down a street? Just a thought.
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever someone says to me that I drive a Nazi car........I tell them that the real Nazis drove BMWs or Mercedes or Audi's (Auto Union) Look at any period picture of the German field grade officers..............nobody's in a VW. BMW's symbol is a spinning airplane propeller that reflects back to their roots a fighter plane engine builders. The BMW 328 was the chosen car of Luftwaffe fighter pilots. The SS drove Mercedes or Horsch and Auto Union was Hitler's personal choice to rule the world of auto racing. A little history lesson shuts up the uneducated pretty fast. Wink
twinwindows
Samba Pimp

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob your are correct about the BMW symbol, and to add to that....The Mercedes three pointed star stands for AIR SEA and LAND cos those fools concurred all those fields.
CHRISTINE
GFK LIFER!

myzamboni wrote:
Yeah, everyone's now doing it GFK style . . . everythinig is covert until the finished product is revealed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and the Volvo is the symbol for a male
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But let's try not to deflect the truth too much. (It's okay to talk about it amongst ourselves.)

Der Fuhrer was as big a VW nut as we are. When Porsche was conducting the tests on the initial prototypes, copies of the progress journals were secretly delivered to Hitler's office in the chancellery. Those technical reports must have been pretty dry reading, because that was Porsche's style, but old Adolph hung on every report like a woman with her favorite soap opera. One is tempted to visualize him alone in his study, smiling at the progress or having fits over the setbacks. He also found himself at odds with the German automakers, who wanted to foil the project so they wouldn't have to compete with a national car. It's never a good idea to get between a VW nut and his Beetle, and when the automakers thought they had stopped the Beetle in its tracks, they found out the hard way that the boss was personally engaged.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: