Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Help Please
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Engine Help Please Reply with quote

OK... admitting my ignorance here, but Im not a "go fast" guy so I dont have a lot of knowledge about performance engines.

I have a car here at the shop that belongs to a customer. He just bought it and he gave me the following info on the engine that was given to him by the previous owner. What I would like to know is what the engine size is and if the combination he has here is any good for a good fun fast street car. Estimated horsepower, rough "how fast is it" times...just anything that could help.

So here are the specs...
Built by Pro Flow Performance, Aluminum Case, 82X94, 9.7:1 Compression Ratio, 5.5 I beam rods, C-45 cam, Stage 3 Heads w/40mm intake and 35.5 exhaust valves, 1.25 ratio rockers, MSD ignition, 48ida carbs, Fat boy style exhaust.

It feels pretty damn fast to me but Im used to driving total stockers, so I dont know a whole lot.

Thanks in advance for any helpful input.
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sactojesse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

94 x 82 = 2275 cc

I'll defer to others on hp estimates. Smile
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use this C.B. Performance engine calculator to figure the engine size.
I'm no motor guru either, but on the surface, it sounds like a good combo. Now, was it put together properly, (that CR sounds high IMO)good head work, properly jetted carbs, etc, I can't say.
But it sounds like it oughta be a fun drive. What's it in?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:00 pm    Post subject: It's home Reply with quote

The engine is in an Oval Ragtop. It's currently not dialed in by any means...I need to find someone locally that can lay hands on it to get it tuned properly. I also want to detail the hell out of it and maybe go with a 911 style fan set up just because it looks cool. The goal is to make it run as good as possible (of course) but also to make it look seriously sweet when you pop the decklid.

Speaking of decklids...it is currently set up to have the decklid closed like stock, but the truck driver that brought it here said it ran better with the lid open a little. What do you guys think about leaving it alone or maybe going with a convertible decklid so it can breathe better?
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mailman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Convertible decklid would be great...I like the look.

911-style shrouds look cool....but they don't work as well as a stock dog-house fan shroud for cooling a Beetle engine. Check Jake Raby's posts on this subject. Also avoid the after market, round topped 36 HP style shrouds...even with a dog-house. Test data shows that the stock, late model, dog-house cooling system is the ticket.

In the effort to look cool....avoid going to chrome in the engine bay. Chrome holds heat!

Got any pictures of this car?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

130hp
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: No pix Reply with quote

I dont have any photos of the car right now, and I probably shouldnt post them without the approval of the car's owner. Besides, what it looks like now isnt what it is going to look like when it is done.

The previous owner was guessing about 175hp...if 130 is realistic, than he was way off.

With a good close ratio trans and good tires, what sort of ballpark zero to 60 times might the car run? The new owner is a hot rod guy, no real knowledge of VW's but he knows what is fast and I would like to give him some numbers to compare. He has other performance cars, many of them pretty high dollar. In the end when the car is completed I want him to be impressed with the performance. I just dont know if this engine will do it for him or not.
951-795-1175
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stage 3 40mm intake are whats slowing him down with a motor that size
go up a size in valves 42 x 37 with a killer port job
stage 3 and 40mm sounds drd-ish good heads for sure ... maybe take em in for cleanin up and have em massaged a lil more? if he is that into the motor?

with the 48idas your talkin moving power that will make most mustang or camaro drivers jaw drop

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Berg Reply with quote

Ive been thinking of bringing the car over to Clyde Berg to have him tune and massage it. Im sure he could rework the heads to the specs you mentioned and port it properly.

So bigger valves and porting would help a lot?
951-795-1175
grimace007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask clyde about the bigger valves im nto a head expert thats just from what ive gathered reading for a motor that size...

but definately a nice lil massage would wake it up with a good valve job and new SS valves

any good head guy can hook you up im sure

Dallas Air Coolers
perrib wrote:
Hey It is The Samba where well thought out rational answers can take a while and getting side tracked is normal. I was just lucky this time. Smile

cr@M wrote:

No one has any personal responsibility these days. This country is sue happy. Intelligence is no longer a requirement, just an accessory.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: