Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably discussed before but, I have been asked by a few European customers to ship some $10 -$25 parts. The USPS website estimate is $25-$50. With these rates the buyers back out. Are there any alternatives for shipping to Europe?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USPS is the cheapest.

It's best if they buy more stuff at once or even buy a ton so you can use a flat rate box. This is what I typically suggest.

On small parts I try to use a padded envelope if possible to minimize the weight and thus the overall shipping cost. I do wrap the parts inside bubble wrap inside the padded envelope for safety. For instance today I shipped 2 small parts to the UK for about $7 - the package was only about 3 ounces though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pitted66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Internet buying Reply with quote

Something I use is if I'm buying a car. I first ask them are they close to the car if not let me know when they are. Once they are by the car I ask if they would take some pictures . First picture is of a code that I text them and they are to write that on a paper and have them hold it in front of the car. Then I proceed to ask them to send it within 5 minutes or so...then I want them to take a picture of the text message I sent them of the code in front of the car. So it shows my phone number and the code I sent them! That usually is the hard part if no one else is around to take the pictures!
bugger101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found it cheaper to ship to a business address, I usually tell bus depot its a commercial address.
75 west deluxe http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5270450#5270450

2010 ford focus
jpawl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

Has anyone else seen crazy prices in the last year to ship US Postal Service First Class to Canada? A 9oz bubble wrapped envelope gave me a quote of $15.50 from the Northeast part of the United States. The postal code in Canada is T6W 2Y4.

Anyone have any tips for brochures?

Jim
81 Scirocco 2.0 Audi Bubble Block
81 Rabbit Pickup Turbo Diesel
90 Cabriolet

http://mk1scirocco.blogspot.com/
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

Yes, the prices are crazy.
Don't use bubble wrapped envelopes, that may be cheaper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

I have a rock and roll bed for sale and someone is interested in it that is located in PA. I am in CA. I was going to send it Greyhound but wondered on how they will accept it and how much they charge. I can't get a hold of anyone at Greyhound so far. Do I have to "box" it up or can I wrap it in plastic?

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

You can look on the Greyhound web site and get an estimate.
http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Last time I checked you need the weight and the length of the longest side.
As far as I know it has to be wrapped but not fully boxed.
I have never tried to send something with only plastic.
I have definitely sent a seat with the legs unwrapped, since they are metal.

Does it have upholstery? I would wrap the material in sheets of cardboard so it doesn't get punctured easily.
Middle seat example from another user
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

der58SC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

thank Everett. That picture is perfect since that is exactly what I would need to do. Now I have to find out how much it would cost to ship.

KCCO!!

Strictly Vintage 2s
left_coast*9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
You can look on the Greyhound web site and get an estimate.
http://www.shipgreyhound.com/

Last time I checked you need the weight and the length of the longest side.
As far as I know it has to be wrapped but not fully boxed.
I have never tried to send something with only plastic.
I have definitely sent a seat with the legs unwrapped, since they are metal.

Does it have upholstery? I would wrap the material in sheets of cardboard so it doesn't get punctured easily.
Middle seat example from another user

Velvetgreen recently sold me a full middle seat (64-66 style) and packed it the way the pic above shows. Legs exposed. He did a nice job packing it. The greyhound express process was a breeze and in total it only took two days to get from San Diego to Seattle, WA! I was amazed. Cost was $145. One downside is you have to go to the bus station to pick up your package right away, or they charge you $5/day and you only have a few days to pick it up.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=472827&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

What is it with the cost to mail things in the VW world?

Electrical part of an ignition switch for a Bay from Bus Depot to Utah is quoted at $13.97 on their website. A USPS 2-day priority small flat rate box is $7.20 - hell of a mark-up to get there in 3-10 days instead of 2 days...

Same item shipping cost is $12.95 on GoWesty, $9.99 on CIP1.

As a comparison, the other vehicle I'm currently working on is a 1976 Ford F250. Some of their suppliers are a similar price, but there's one company in California who say if the item is small, they will ship it either USPS or UPS, whichever is cheaper, and they did - the gasket for the speedometer head to instrument cluster came USPS for a couple bucks...
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

Reason: Most businesses don't use USPS.

If you see minor differences, it's usually different charges/markups for packing.
AF64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

Is there a way to ship battery by air? 6v battery is not available in my country. Couldn't get an ebay seller to ship an optima battery, neither would WW ship a dry battery.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

greyhound has no problem with parts only being plastic wrapped. I have sent dozens of items that way w/o issue.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

2019 shipping increases:

Dear werksberg,
UPS®, FedEx®, and USPS® announced their 2019 rate increases and the additional costs will affect your eBay business.

UPS rate changes went into effect December 26, 2018. They have increased an average of 4.9% across most services.

FedEx Express and FedEx Ground parcel movements increased by approximately 4.9% January 7, 2019.

USPS will be making the following changes January 27, 2019.

• USPS First Class packages are increasing an average of 11.9%*
◦ Note that USPS First Class Package Service pricing will change from a flat rate per ounce to zone-based pricing per ounce
• USPS Priority Mail increases an average of 5.9%*.
• Changes in weight distribution of packages will affect pricing on USPS packages starting in June.

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
satterley_sr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

Held Hostage by Paypal

Sent a pierburg fuel pump to California and weighed it in a box at 1 lb 10 oz. Sent it through paypal shipping usps. Now USPS is saying it weighed 3.35 lbs which is ridiculous. Paypal wants $6.75 and wont allow me to ship anything until I pay up. I filed a complaint with USPS but this pisses me off.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

I have a buddy that started a mail order business & they turned me on to a cheap shipping place.
They provide regular people postage at the top tier discounts.
https://www.pirateship.com

The people that started it are crafty. They used rewards credit cards to buy enough volume of postage to get the best pricing. Then they sell it with no markup. They make their money just from the rewards card perks.
theastronaut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

Does anyone know if it's ok to only tape a label directly to a steel wheel when using Greyhound? I sold a set of 19.5" truck wheels that need refinishing and I was thinking I could just clean them and tape labels directly to the wheel center. There are large flat areas big enough for the label to tape to and lay flat.

I have shipped a convertible top frame unboxed through Greyhound but it was padded and stretch wrapped.

Wheels in question (tires have been removed)-

'64 Beetle Sunroof OG Bahama Blue
'63 Beetle Vert
'66 Beetle
'88 Festiva L
'89 Festiva L
'64 Chevy C10
'66 Chevy C10
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

I don't know but I have received tires that were simply wrapped in plastic with a label on them so very similar to a wheel?

With a wheel I would wonder if they would drop it at some point with nothing to protect it.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion Reply with quote

From a member who wanted people to be aware of "Regional" boxes and rates:

I sold something to a buyer in California and planned to use a free priority mail box and pay priority mail charges. I use the USPS Click N Ship app for packages. After filling in the origin, destination, weight, and size it comes back with the options. The priority mail charges were $30.65, but, the app also offered "Regional Rate A" for the same size box at $12.58. Fortunately, I have a supply of Regional Rate A and B boxes and was able to take advantage of the reduced price.

Most people are not aware of these regional rate boxes which must be ordered from USPS.com. They are under supplies and are free with free shipping. Unlike flat rate boxes, the rate is based on weight and zone as long as you can fit whatever your shipping into the specially marked box. The origin was meant for commercial use but anyone can use them.

Note from EverettB:
Some post offices have these boxes available. My post office has a shelf inside the lobby near the shipping counters where they have a selection of different random boxes other than the typical flat rate boxes. They sometimes have "Regional" boxes but it's not common.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: