Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Shipping Tricks and General Shipping Questions / Discussion
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peaceful warrior wrote:
Hypothetical question for all you who ship.
I live in a town that does not have Greyhound service, so I normally use USPS, UPS, or Fedex, always looking for the best price.
Lately, I have had the problem of giving a rough estimate for shipping, and then when I go to box it up and get a quote, the shipping cost is always higher. I am speaking of unusual, oversized sized items, where I have had to make boxes or track down oversized boxes.

Buyers seem to want to pay before I have an exact quote, which I will not do for obvious reasons. Lately, I have buyers back out once they get the exact quote. I don't charge for my time to box parts up, nor for the time spent tracking down boxes, etc. and it is becoming a problem when all the work is done and then the sale falls thru due to shipping.

Any advice on you handle this?

I have thought of asking for a non refundable $25 deposit, which would be included in the total once the sale is completed. Thought behind this is, it makes the seller responsible for their request. Thoughts on this idea? I am tired of boxing items up and then have the deal fall through, due to costs beyond my control.

If you have access to a reasonably accurate scale (say +/- 2lbs) and you know how to use a tape measure, all you have to do is go to the shipper's web page to get a shipping quote based on the dimensions & weight you enter. I would say it would be fair for the weight to be rounded to the nearest 5lbs to base your quote. Worst case scenario is that you're refunding a buyer for over payment (something I've done on many occasions).

Get Rates & Transit Times for FedEx
USPS Price Calculator

I don't deal with UPS but I bet it also has an option. Hope this helps.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't want to pay a deposit.

I've never had trouble with my Fed Ex Ground quotes being too far off but I almost always add a few inches to each side and round up on weight just in case. Mostly because I often end up adding extra cardboard around any sharper corners for larger items.

As Gary stated, if it's way off I give a refund but this is rarely the case.

I have more trouble with International stuff, even small packages, being off, unless I really get an accurate weight.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
peaceful warrior
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary wrote:
peaceful warrior wrote:
Hypothetical question for all you who ship.
I live in a town that does not have Greyhound service, so I normally use USPS, UPS, or Fedex, always looking for the best price.
Lately, I have had the problem of giving a rough estimate for shipping, and then when I go to box it up and get a quote, the shipping cost is always higher. I am speaking of unusual, oversized sized items, where I have had to make boxes or track down oversized boxes.

Buyers seem to want to pay before I have an exact quote, which I will not do for obvious reasons. Lately, I have buyers back out once they get the exact quote. I don't charge for my time to box parts up, nor for the time spent tracking down boxes, etc. and it is becoming a problem when all the work is done and then the sale falls thru due to shipping.

Any advice on you handle this?

I have thought of asking for a non refundable $25 deposit, which would be included in the total once the sale is completed. Thought behind this is, it makes the seller responsible for their request. Thoughts on this idea? I am tired of boxing items up and then have the deal fall through, due to costs beyond my control.

If you have access to a reasonably accurate scale (say +/- 2lbs) and you know how to use a tape measure, all you have to do is go to the shipper's web page to get a shipping quote based on the dimensions & weight you enter. I would say it would be fair for the weight to be rounded to the nearest 5lbs to base your quote. Worst case scenario is that you're refunding a buyer for over payment (something I've done on many occasions).

Get Rates & Transit Times for FedEx
USPS Price Calculator

I don't deal with UPS but I bet it also has an option. Hope this helps.

Gary, thanks. Good idea!
66 13W Deluxe, 68 Westfalia, 87 Syncro.
TOOB Member #15
Brian
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever shipped to Indonesia? I have someone interested in a muffler; however, the USPS web site will only calculate a rate using Global Express which comes in over $320. FedEx is just as ugly.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try LBC Express. We have shipped massive (no weight limit) 24X18X18" boxes to the Philippines by boat, but they say on their website they ship parcels air freight & boat. We shipped 3 boxes Saturday for $55 each. Ning says don't tell them it's car parts, but I think that's just for these 'care package' boxes to the Philippines? Confused Laughing Hit them up for air freight rates.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Try LBC Express. We have shipped massive (no weight limit) 24X18X18" boxes to the Philippines by boat, but they say on their website they ship parcels air freight & boat. We shipped 3 boxes Saturday for $55 each. Ning says don't tell them it's car parts, but I think that's just for these 'care package' boxes to the Philippines? Confused Laughing Hit them up for air freight rates.

LBC Express has branches in only a few US States all of which are on either the east or west coast with the exception of Illinois and Nevada. Rolling Eyes
TristanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a note that USPS flat rate shipping prices went up again as of January 22nd, 2012. I use the small flat rate boxes alot and they went from $5.20 to $5.35. Check out www.usps.com for complete price changes.
Bill Jacobs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any new tips on shipping to Italy? I have buyer wanting a pair of rims shipped. and I have never shipped overseas. He is paying actual cost but I want it to be as cheap as possible.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Jacobs wrote:
Any new tips on shipping to Italy? I have buyer wanting a pair of rims shipped. and I have never shipped overseas. He is paying actual cost but I want it to be as cheap as possible.

Check postal regulations on size limits (length + girth). Your best bet is to ship each rim in a separate box. The USPS is going to be your best bet.
Bill Jacobs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surfbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another shipping tip. I had a some $800.00 rails to install a 5th wheel hitch in my Ram that I needed to return to the vendor (rec'd wrong part). I sent them back via UPS. Because they were heavy and the boxes were stapled shut when I got them from the vendor, I decided for the return trip to take them into the UPS store and pay for the UPS store to package them up for the return trip.

A few days after shipping out, I got a different box delivered to my house that contained the parts that i had sent back. Apparently the box the UPS store had used had come apart and the contents minus one part were boxed and sent to me. Now the vendor did not want it back since it was not complete. I filed a claim and it was only paid because I could prove that the UPS store had done the packaging.
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learned some news while at the Post Office today:

1) No more using the green Delivery Confirmation slips for First Class or Parcel Post shipments. The USPS will generate a tracking number that is printed on the receipt.

2) Parcel Post is now referred to as Standard Post. As with First Class, the tracking number is generated at the counter.

I used to stock up on Delivery Confirmation slips so I could log tracking numbers as "In Process" until I I was able to ship. Looks like that will no longer be the case.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to a savage burn by UPS I switched all my shipping to greyhound. They have done a very good job overall and they really surprised me on a large package the other day. It was a very large box and ended up weighing 107 lbs. (their stated limit is 100lbs). My heart sank since I thought they would reject the package. The clerk said "lets put it into the computer and see if it takes it", it did! He could not tell me how this is determined, but their system will make exceptions. Thought I would pass this on. Many packages get across the country in 2 days!
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple of vehicles that were damaged beyond repair in a tornado. I have been parting them out and want to sell the airbags. The airbags are original equipment, never deployed, etc. While attempting to list them on e-Bay, the system threw up a notification screen that special precautions must be taken for shipping.

So, after some research I've learned that airbags are designated as a pyrotechnic device that cannot be shipped via the US Post Office. I have searched high and low for how to properly ship them via UPS or FedEx and can't find a definite answer. From what I gather, the module must be packed in an anti-static bag and then packed in a burst-proof bag before being packing in the final container. That all makes sense considering static electricity can cause one to discharge.

Has anyone been down this route before?

And no, I will not just pack one in a box and ship it USPS and hope for the best. If it were to activate during shipping then some men in badges will come after me at which point I will be subject to a fine and/or jail time.
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greyhound has increased rates as 1-14. Seems to be about a 10% increase, no notification on the website. I noticed it on my last shipment and the clerk confirmed it. Still the best way on large items.
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone else have problems or knows of fixes to the NEW USPS online shipping labels that we manually input on www.usps.com ?

Their website was changed like 2 weeks ago and I can't manually input address or get a pre paid shipping labels from them! Evil or Very Mad

I have used FireFox and the dreaded IE (the latest versions) and it still does not work. If it was paid thru PayPal....then USPS shipping labels work perfect. But is the customer sent a check or cash.....

I could stand in the long line to do it (the local PO manager knows me and told me he sees lots of his reg. online shippers in line) ...but my time is valuable..... But customers are getting testie.

Follow my new products on my Facebook Werks Berg
Click the below ADs link for products & feedback.
Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I printed one out for US delivery on Feb. 4 using Chrome.

And we have printed a few internationals since then without any problems.
Also using Chrome.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have Chrome & I'll try that tomorrow in the AM.

I figure if FF and the lest favorite IE couldn't, Chrome also was out. But I'll try it....

Thanks!

Search "werksberg" on Photobucket for products photos & Please remember to buy "American made products!"
werksberg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally used Chrome and after a little tweaking.... IT WORKED!

E...was that the new format at USPS or the old format? I'm told USPS is releasing this change regional at different times....but why do a major area like So Cal. at the first? Doh!

THANKS again! Wink

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea if it is the new format but if I go to usps.com it looks different than I remember from a month or so ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: