Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'85 clutch problem...
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ncsurferboy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: '85 clutch problem... Reply with quote

I've got an '85 passenger van that has been sitting about 2 months. When she was parked no problems, now the clutch won't engage. There is pressure on the pedal, but when you go to put her into gear, she just grinds and doesn't go (not wanting to force it of course). From the reading I've done so far seems to be the master or slave cylinder and plan to replace both, but anything I can "manually" move to get it working again so I can drive her home from where she's stored. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!
singlewc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: '85 clutch problem... Reply with quote

ncsurferboy02 wrote:
I've got an '85 passenger van that has been sitting about 2 months. When she was parked no problems, now the clutch won't engage. There is pressure on the pedal, but when you go to put her into gear, she just grinds and doesn't go (not wanting to force it of course). From the reading I've done so far seems to be the master or slave cylinder and plan to replace both, but anything I can "manually" move to get it working again so I can drive her home from where she's stored. Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

If you know the MC is filled correctly, then you should have someone run the clutch pedal up and down, and see what is going on at the slave cylinder. I think you can see it from the engine compartment (I have an air cooled, so its a trip under the trans) If the clutch lever is moving an inch or so, then you probably have a clutch issue. If the slave doesn't move the clutch arm at all, or just a small amount, bleed the system, and see if that improves the action that the clutch lever. Might just get you home, at least.

John
buggnuttz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the disc is rusted to the flywheel or pressure acting like its not releasing. Try starting the van in gear with the clutch pedal depressed and holding the brakes HARD!!!
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have very far to go, wait until late at night when there's no traffic, put it in first, and turn the key. First gear it on home....
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the slave works the lever that inch, like singlewc says, then I think buggnutz is on the right track.

You can start in first gear, if she fires up quickly, and from there you can upshift sans clutch without any difficulty. You can even downshift with care, pausing between gears. To get going from a stop, though, you have to shut it off and restart in gear.

I've driven long distances this way. It's an adventure in planning ahead.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think you could do that with the vanagon.
At least, I couldn't do it with the 85. Tried it a couple times, and it *really* didn't like it.
I had a split back in the 70's that lost the clutch, and I drove for a couple months that way.
ncsurferboy02
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went and messed around with the van this afternoon a bit and the MC is full and the SC is moving plenty. So I'm guessing it's something internal..grr...not sure what to try...I did try the whole...putting it in gear and starting it with my foot on the clutch and brake and even let the van lurch a bit then the brake, but the Batt. in the van is a bit weak so not sure if that trick worked or not...
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

You can start in first gear, if she fires up quickly, and from there you can upshift sans clutch without any difficulty. You can even downshift with care, pausing between gears. To get going from a stop, though, you have to shut it off and restart in gear.

I've driven long distances this way. It's an adventure in planning ahead.

Definately. Other traffic doesn't like it much when you are creeping up on a red light 100ft away in first gear..... Smile

~Mike
View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: