Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Oxygen Sensor - Lag on acceleration
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VladeSpado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: New Oxygen Sensor - Lag on acceleration Reply with quote

I thought I had everything fixed recently after I put in a new coolant temp sensor. I figured I'd change the oxygen sensor as well. It turned out that my old sensor was unplugged. When I plugged it back in, there was a bad lag when accelerating. The old sensor was FRIED. This happened even after I put the new sensor in. I disconnected the battery hoping to reset the ECU, and it appears to have worked a little. Will the performance improve as the ECU learns the new driving pattern? Does the air mixture need to be adjusted? Any help would be appreciated, I feel that I am really close to a nice performing 85 Vanagon.

Rob
ChesterKV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wiring connecting the O2 sensor may be bad. You will need to check that.
1992 Subaru Legacy EJ22 boxer motor installed.... van is now sold.... currently playing with a 1987 Toyota MR2 with 1.6 liter twin-cam motor. Better than the Subaru boxers....... I'm impressed. Well, okay, in an "apples and oranges" kind of way. Smile
VladeSpado
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will take it to the shop to have em check that. It runs pretty damn good without it, I may just have to deal with the bad mileage.
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typical. Someone has messed with the adjustments and now a good O2 sensor makes it run worse. You need to have it repaired by a shop that has feeling for the Vanagon.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
elwood91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van ECU doesn't "learn".
With all the problems I had recently with smog check and O2 sensor, I would recommend you look closer at the wiring harness for the O2 sensor. Mine was shorted a few inches past the connection from sensor to harness next to the left head. After fixing that and new sensor and cat everything is fine. While the old one was unplugged the ECU ran on a default mode that probably wasn't so great for your mileage.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: