Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a '87 Westy and I just noticed that my outside cargo door handle is missing about half of the plastic seal/escutcheon between the handle and the body. Now water will be able to get inside the door.

Question #1: Is this seal for an '87 handle to body still available anywhere, and if not, is there an alternative seal or fix. Or does somone out there have a decent condition used seal?

Question #2: Is there a write up on how to remove the inner door panel and outer handle to add a new seal for the "later" '87 Vanagon, or is the procedure the same as the "earlier" handle.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction towards a new (or used) seal, and directions on how to get it done!

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wbx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, my modification/reinforcement to the handle is still holding up after 3 years...

Just thought i'd throw down that little update. Smile
As such, it is of the earth,
And if i need to, I can let my Van go.
DAIZEE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have a problem with the key or lock. For some reason or other the aft latch is not releasing. I can open the door from the outside but from inside I pull the handle and throw my body at the door and it opens real easily! Tomorrow I will slowly and carefully remove the door liner. Hopefully info in my on board Bentley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ragnarhairybreeks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will find that you probably need to adjust cable in door that goes from handle to rear latch.

alistair
Old address still works...
http://shufti.wordpress.com
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to tighten the front sliding-door lock? (p.58.3) I have changed out the handle twice and replaced all the hardware to make sure its all correct and the handle is still very loose. If I move the handle and watch the screw, it looks like the lock mechanism it-self is loose. No matter how tight I tighten the screw, the inner part of the door lock seems to be moving around.

Do these wear out?

Thanks for any help.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey neighbor, I just replaced my sliding door handle because it was extremely loose. Upon replacing I inspected the worn areas of the latch assembly. The new handle is much tighter but I could see wear inside the door assembly and though better, it is still a little loose.

I took my panel off thinking I needed to adjust my cable. I PB blasted the rear locking mechanism but my cable was tight. Door opens and shuts much easier after PB blasting years of crud off the mechanism but the handle is still a little loose. I decided there was nothing more I could do besides finding a new handle mechanism off a salvage door.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
westylife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, AKWesty.

Yeah I was afraid someone was going to say that. I don't know about in Haines, but there are not any vans in the local junk yards here. Ill have to use the classifieds. I wonder if they are the same for all vans without auto locks?
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my handle from BD there were only two choices for the handle. I am assuming the difference between the power locks and manual. Not exactly sure though.

No choices for this kinda stuff in Haines. We are headed south next week and I have some stops planned along the way to look for random parts. Its the Alaska penalty. You can ship it here but its gonna cost you.
215/70-16's

www.CatchTheKraken.com

"Never go to Alaska as a young man because you'll never be satisfied with any other place as long as you live." -John Muir
MacDude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the thread and the info from those on it.

My problem isn't so much that the handle is loose (it is a bit), but that it's so stiff to open that my wife can't do it a lot of the time. She pushes down but she doesn't have the necessary leverage. Now she's no weakling, she's just not as strong as I am. I give it a sturdy shove downward and it pops open.

Would taking it apart and greasing it help in that situation?

PS, the Key doesn't work on that lock and the rear catch doesn't catch anymore (spring issues), but that's different and not as urgent
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cs44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

Just piling on...

Here's my destroyed sliding door handle. Good times.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Scamper-Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

To anyone still reading this thread: GoWesty has a good DIY video that shows how to remove & replace a Vanagon sliding door handle.

Link

There are two different door handles: one for 1980 - early 85 vs. another for later 1985 - 91 Vanagons. Replacement parts may be out-of-stock & hard to find. These handles get a lot of wear & tear, obviously.

And yes, it looks like DRY graphite powder is recommended for the locks, not grease.
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

Thanks for the GoWesty link. I purchased a handle for my 84 (long one) about two months...... just haven't got around to tackling the job.

Maybe this video will motivate me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

Hello,

My '90 outside slider door handle broke yesterday. Sad The only one listed in the classifieds was sold long ago (https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?submit=yes&type=text&section%5B%5D=57&keywords=slid*+handle)

Van Cafe and Bus Depot list an aftermarket unit that cannot be re-keyed to the ignition key.

Van Cafe
Aftermarket sliding door handle. Fits 85 thru 91. About the only thing that we can find wrong with these handles is that they use the Volkswagen Jetta/Golf Mk II/Mk III (AH code) key stock and therefore it cannot be re-keyed to your existing (N code) Vanagon key stock. https://www.vancafe.com/251843704EAFT-p/251843704eaft.htm?CartID=4

Bus Depot
Note, this is new production and it uses an "AH" profile (Golf/Jetta) key rather than the "N" profile key that Vanagons originally used. Therefore it cannot be rekeyed to use your existing key; however it may be possible to swap the whole lock cylinder from your old sliding door handle and thereby use the original key. https://www.busdepot.com/251843704e

Bus Depot says it "may be possible to swap out the lock core."

Does anyone know if the Vanagon lock core can indeed be swapped into the aftermarket handle? I'd like to have a handle that can be locked with the ignition key.(Attaching the two broken handle parts with screws and a plate is possible but I'd prefer a one-piece solution).

Thanks for any answers or suggestions.

(Yes, I called Bus Depot. They didn't have an answer.)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
erdonline
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Bus Depot says it "may be possible to swap out the lock core."

Does anyone know if the Vanagon lock core can indeed be swapped into the aftermarket handle? I'd like to have a handle that can be locked with the ignition key.(Attaching the two broken handle parts with screws and a plate is possible but I'd prefer a one-piece solution).

(Yes, I called Bus Depot. They didn't have an answer.)

(Just as a quick preface, I see that the thread title references "early Vanagon" which for slider doors is up to 1984. I see that there are other questions in this thread about later sliders, but I think it's best if anyone has an '85 or later slider question, to avoid this thread as the title will make it harder for those in the future to find their answers.)

Now to try to answer your question: I know someone who bought the later sliding door handle from Bus Depot and said he was able to make it work in swapping out the lock cylinder. I don't know exactly what he did, but he said that he had to file down something and it fit. I can try to ask or ask him to post here.

Edit- I looked back at an old message with the guy who swapped the old cylinder into the aftermarked "AH key" handle and he says he did it without mods. I do remember someone who had to make a minor mod, though. Maybe it depends on the manufacturer. If it were me, I'd buy the Bus Depot one and try to make it work. A few years ago I bought one from Van Cafe for my '84. it was the original style with the Vanagon "N" key profile. I paid a bit more to get that one. It seems the original style is harder to find, if anyone has it at all.

Ed
buspor63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDude wrote:

My problem isn't so much that the handle is loose (it is a bit), but that it's so stiff to open that my wife can't do it a lot of the time. She pushes down but she doesn't have the necessary leverage. Now she's no weakling, she's just not as strong as I am. I give it a sturdy shove downward and it pops open.

Does anyone have any further opinions about this? My '84 is really hard to open. I took apart the front mechanism and cleaned and greased it. I dribbled some lubricant down into the front to rear rod housing. All those parts seem to work really well now. I haven't removed and cleaned the rear catch, just sprayed lubricant all around there. It does open slightly easier, just not as nice as my '86.

My opinion is that it's the rear spring. It takes a lot of force to close it, therefore a lot of force to overcome latching friction. My '86 is easier to close too. Is this the reason VW did the door redesign?
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buspor63 wrote:
MacDude wrote:

Does anyone have any further opinions about this? My '84 is really hard to open. I took apart the front mechanism and cleaned and greased it. I dribbled some lubricant down into the front to rear rod housing. All those parts seem to work really well now. I haven't removed and cleaned the rear catch, just sprayed lubricant all around there. It does open slightly easier, just not as nice as my '86.

My opinion is that it's the rear spring. It takes a lot of force to close it, therefore a lot of force to overcome latching friction. My '86 is easier to close too. Is this the reason VW did the door redesign?
. Make sure the U shaped pivot/hinge in the back of the sliding door moves very well in that pivot or flipping action as the door needs to close near the end of its travel.
When ever I notice the closing effort going up on my ‘84, I start there with a spray lube like.... Wurth HHS 2000, Winzer Polylube, or Superlube. All are liquid spray that set into a tacky grease.
Decent Water Resistance, slippery too.

Same spray for the rear catch and that spring on it.
The cable on the inside of the sliding door needs lube too, helps lower the effort on your outside handle to move it for opening.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jungle dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

Good Day.

Would someone please advise how the actuator rod connects to the rear latch.

Thanks a million.

-J
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

It's the same eyelet and clip as the front, it's easier to take the mechanism off with the rod to access to that end of the rod/cable.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jungle dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

ALIKA T3 wrote:
It's the same eyelet and clip as the front, it's easier to take the mechanism off with the rod to access to that end of the rod/cable.

Thanks for the input.

Does this also apply to early Vanagon (1981)? I don't see where the eyelet attaches to the rear latch.

Cheers.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Fix that Loose sliding door handle on an early Vanagon Reply with quote

You can remove the entire rear assembly, with the cable still attached, by removing the two screws on the rear end of the door — visible from the rear when the door is open.

You can then access the circlip once the entire assembly is pulled forward and accessible.

(Thanks Again to Bobby Black for doing this on a backup van before I did mine in the field!)

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: