Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

82 westy alternator issue
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bristolwave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: 82 westy alternator issue Reply with quote

Hey guys,
I recently added a secondary battery to my 82’ westy. After the mod was complete I tested the new system, which was basically the GoWesty mod that I just fallowed, and everything worked. After the initial, while everything worked, I noticed the battery and check engine light wouldn’t go out after a quick reve of the engine. I got out the trusty multi meter and discovered the blue wire, which I piggy backed off to close (excite) the continues solinode to charge the new battery showed no power. I fallowed little blue all the way to the alternator and no out put.

Did I fry the alternator?

Is my alternator to small for the new 48 amp agm deep cycle battery?

Could I have wired it wrong? Even though I fallowed the videos?

I haven’t read anything about needing a bigger alternator but I could understand if I would need one.

Any ideas out there?
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 82 westy alternator issue Reply with quote

How about a couple of photos?

I doubt the problem is inside the alternator and the stock early alternators are enough for a smaller capacity aux battery setup such as yours.

If your 82 Westy has the 2 fuse holder behind the driver seat then you could have hooked the solenoid control wire to that instead of to the to the blue wire. The solenoids are a much higher load for the blue wire than anything VW ever connected to the blue wire so hooking one to the blue wire can cause issues to appear.

Mark
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: