Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Wiring a Puck for a Vanagon
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:33 am    Post subject: Wiring a Puck for a Vanagon Reply with quote

I recently bought a 1971 Eriba Puck. I have to go pick it up in another state, and have already wired my Vanagon for a flat-4 style trailer plug. The one on the trailer itself looks like this:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I plan on cutting this off and putting a modern flat-4 plug on, but have made some assumptions about the tail lights on the Puck: Namely, that they are simple, combined stop/turn style lights.

They are the lights that came with the Puck in '71. Can anyone confirm for me that they are the older, combined stop/turn style lights?

Here's a picture of the trailer
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
mrvwaccessory
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you describe more what the tail light looks like. I currently have 1964 Puck and it runs 7 wires. I find it odd that the puck only has 4 prongs for 7.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I did not get a picture of the rear of the Puck, but I do recall the tail lights looking like those I have seen on other Pucks.

It is definitely not a 7 wire round...you can really tell if you take a look at the scale of the plug next to my fingers in the picture....much smaller than a 7 wire round plug...about half the size.

I've seen older Pucks with separate turn and brake elements in tail lights. I know at least that if mine has separate elements for those functions, they are all in one tail light housing.

Thanks for the info just the same...helps me narrow down the possibilities. I'm gettting the impression that many of these trailers were rewired and re-lighted, so that there is not much of a obvious standard.
Volksbulli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4 prong: 1 ground, 1 for all running lights, 1 for left signal and 1 for right signal. Your Puck most likely has a combined stop-turn-tail setup. I had towing lights for the one wrecker my dad had and it had an identical plug and the aforementioned setup for the lights.
Should be a fairly simple conversion, you already know what wire is for what on the van side. You'll have to figure what your ground and your lights are on the Puck plug, and attach your 4 flat plug to the correct wires that correspond with the Vanagon.
67' Typ 1
96' Golf GL
wythac
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. Having the # of wires the same on both van and trailer will reduce the confusion. Should be simple, and since the other small trailers I tow are flat-4, it makes sense to convert this one to match the others.

Europeans do everything different, though, hence my caution.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: