Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

34 pict 3 accelerator pump adjustment
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: 34 pict 3 accelerator pump adjustment Reply with quote

If I push the gas all the way down fast in my 1600 dp with a 34 pict on it, it will stumble and hesitate.
The accelerator pump adjustment is right in the middle, do i need to increase it or decrease it a bit? is it getting too much gas right away or not enough?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually flat spots on acceleration are due to a lot more than just the adjustment of the accel pump. Other contributing factors can be in the idle mixture adjustment of the carb, overall wear in the carb, a worn distributor - or, and this is common, using the incorrect distributor to go with your carburetor. The factory matched every stock carb up with a specific distributor, and when you go and throw a different one on there, especially the general-purpose "009" you can end up with problems.

But to answer your question about the accelerator pump:

What you want is to adjust it so that you are getting a spray right off the bat when you open the throttle. What throws people off, is that the linkage develops play as the carb ages, and to compensate for it you have to move the adjustment to the "-" side. A lot of people just move it way over to the "+" side assuming they are getting more out of it when really they aren't, and often end up making their acceleration worse.

I adjust them so that all the play is taken up when the throttle is at idle. If the linkage is really worn out, I've seen it where you have to put the adjustment about as far to the "-" side as it'll go. Here's a picture of one that was worn that far (both in the linkage rod you see at the bottom, plus wear not visible in this pic at the pivot on the accel pump cover itself):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

With that worn linkage above, if you were to move it all the way over to the "+" side, the accelerator pump would not be spraying at all until you opened the throttle more than halfway... denfinately not desirable!

I robbed a different carb of its pump linkage which was in a little better shape, (although it was the Generator style) and here is where that one adjusted up to take up the play on that same carburetor:

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Birdmanhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks, I will have a go at it later this afternoon

-the motor has less than 1000 miles on it, all stock AK
-the carb is a rebuilt german unit from the guy on here that re-bushes them with a nice bronze bushing
-dist is a 034 svda, new

oh and it is in a 66 bus
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birdmanhere wrote:
-the carb is a rebuilt german unit from the guy on here that re-bushes them with a nice bronze bushing
-dist is a 034 svda, new

Sounds like a good combination. But I should ask - which stock German carb? Just because it's German doesn't mean it's ideal to use with an 034. Some of the 71-73 carbs that were set up at the factory for DVDA don't take too well to being mated with an SVDA. What's the base flange number on the carb? Here's a chart with most of the stock 34-series carbs listed, and what distributor they were designed to go with when they were new:

vwsb74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glutamodo wrote:
Birdmanhere wrote:
-dist is a 034 svda, new

Sounds like a good combination. But I should ask - which stock German carb? Just because it's German doesn't mean it's ideal to use with an 034. Some of the 71-73 carbs that were set up at the factory for DVDA don't take too well to being mated with an SVDA. What's the base flange number on the carb? Here's a chart with most of the stock 34-series carbs listed, and what distributor they were designed to go with when they were new:

thanks for the specs Wink
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome....
And that's just the USA chart. I have much more info in this Word document file:

http://members.trainorders.com/android/temp/CarbBaseFlangeNumbersA.doc
NayaBeach
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I was having some troubles with getting my car to accelerate properly. New carb and all. This made me have a look at the accelerator pump. The lever was loose... Seem to be accelerating happily now. Seem to. Confused Smile
"The purpose of life is to enjoy it."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: