Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 5 Joe - [email protected]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Type 5 Joe
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: January 05, 2020
SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Type 5 Joe wrote:
This shit just happens.

There is no more use of me posting in this thread with that mentality.

Thanks,
Jonathan
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct.... There is no use in posting anything here unless you post true observations.

I did not set up the valvetrain incorrectly.

There have been many, many, many posts about qualified engine builders having cam / lifter failure issues.

Do a search in the technical forums and educate yourself.

Post facts about what I did wrong, or just shut your mouth.

The cam and lifters went crappy.... Thats all that happened.

Anyone that takes the time to read Gordon's posts will get an Idea about what really happened and what his general way of opperating is.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:45 pm    Post subject: motor Reply with quote

I just read the last few posts. This is not a whine but the fact is I have spent a considerable amount of money and time to have a motor with high quality parts fail. And fail in such a short time We all make mistakes.I renovate and do historic renovation.I have had failures and did indeed deal with them. And will inthe future should any arise. I bet had I installed a custom kitchen for Joe and it failed in any manner Joe would want me back there asap to rectify any and all problems. This is just the way I work Joe knows quite a bit is capable of incredible work, it just did not happen on this motor, plain and simple. , just want to post the facts. As stated this motor had issues from day one, did run good BUT not to its potential and it went downhill from there. .I constantly tried different jetting, , a different distributor(019), verified timing, it leaked from the rear seal and then flowed out of the 1/2 cylinder bases. It ran warm, but this is expected of a new motor in 100 deg summer.It was not abused in the least, carefully warmed up and driven very conservativly. All of this happened within 800 miles Could not get this motor to run good day in and day out
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of cam and lifters were used in the engine?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mild DRD cam, Bugpack Racing Lifters, Brad Penn Racing oil (break in oil).

This is the first time in about ten years I have had any kind of engine part faliure like this.

What can I say? I assembled and ran it to the best of my ability... Like I have done on many other engines.

Can I warrenty a cam and lifter set? No I cannot, and Gordon was fully aware of this before I agreed to build this engine.

Recommendation? Maybe pay the $500.00 or so for the machined billet lifters from Germany. I don't know what else to recommend.

Some people say the CB performance lifters do good, but I don't like the two piece design.

To say that I did a generally bad job is Bullshit.... To say that I didn't set up the valvetrain right is also Bullshit. There never was or is anything wrong with the job I did.

If I did something wrong setting up the valvetrain, then lets hear it..... This is like the third request for this and I have seen you post nothing... Thats because there is nothing to blame on me.

Do you just have a "feeling" I did something wrong?

Do you need someone who is better qualified to look at the engine? Maybe this is the case.

You also have to deal with your own fine tuning...For the gas you run, your elavation, etc.... There is no way I can tune it for your fuel quality and elevation from Central Oregon (3,000 ft.) and have it perfect in Alabama.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my observations on this motor, as I drove over 200 miles to tear it appart and give an evaluation.
case looked like a chizzel was used to do the stroker clearancing, the swivel feet were out way to far from the rocker and it had shims under the rockers. the exhaust rockers were discollord, possiably lifter bushing missalignement & not sloting them for constaint oiling,I have never seen this rocker problem before. the push rods were too long plain & simple. the case had been bushed, I had not checked to see if the oil holes were alined. 2 lifters were missing 80-100% of the heads (broken off) 1 swivel foot was broken off, same lifter was broken. I seem to remember the brass gear looked like shit also, all bearings were dead, crank gear rusty.
I was told t5 had rebuilt or gone through the carbs, well the needels had the worst groove I had ever seen in needle, they should of been replaced. what broke first I dont know, just putting a cam in isant the answer.
gordon says he has a raby motor in it now,runs great. I dont think he will have any other problems.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lifter bushings are grooved for continuous oiling... But this isn't needed.

Maybe if you had actually seen this engine you would have noticed this.

The case was clearanced with a die grinder.

The valve adjusters were maybe .100" from the rocker when it left my shop. They may have adjusted them further, as the cam and lifters were going away.

Gordon (or his mechanic) did the valve adjustment on this engine, and he emailed me and told me one of the adjusters were loose when he started noticing a problem. Maybe they shouldh've been tightened correctly.

Yes I did cut the pushrods to length, and shim under the rocker blocks to set up the valvetrain geometry... Rarely shims are not needed.

Brass gear was like new when installed, the steel gear was not rusty and in almost new condition.

The carbs had new kits installed, and new needles and seats...

I doubt you have even seen this engine Mark.... If you actually had, you would have noted these items.

Ganging up on me isn't helping your case.... And inviting Mark Tucker in here is probably the worst thing you could do.

Go read Mark's past posts, and you'll soon see he is a goofball ...And needs to take english 101 over again.

Nice try, but having a complete idiot weigh in on this isn't helping your cause.
They have already said in this post (and via email) that all it needs is a cam and lifters, and a couple small parts to put it back together

Put a cam and lifters in it and quit being a baby.

Mark, I am convinced that you have never actually seen this engine in person, and you are an outright liar.

Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of Gordons engine parts prior to assembly.

I clearanced the case prior to assembly.... Post pics if you want.

I had been gun-drilled the case for equal valvetrain oiling on both sides.

I Line bored .020", thrust cut +1.

I Decked the case (was previously bored for 90.5 cylinders).

I drilled and tapped all oil passages, I full flowed it.

I Bushed the lifter bores, and anyone can clearly see the grooves for continuous oiling.

Every stud was removed and the threaded holes were chased with a tap, every stud chased with a die.... Every questionable threaded hole was repaired with a heli-coil.... Every stud was replced and set up to the correct height and lock-tighted in place.

Everything on this engine was thouroughly inspected, measured and modified (if needed) prior to assemble.

I replaced the lead plugs in the carbs, media blasted them, Ultra sonic cleaned them, replaced all questionable parts....Assembled with new gasket kits, and the aircleaner studs up-graded to 1/4" - 20 threads, new sealing washers, new nylock 1/4" - 20 wingnuts.... New washers and nylock nuts.

These carbs were as close to NOS as it gets for a set of rebuilt Dellorto DRLA's

This engine was in very nice shape and ran well when it left my shop.

After it leaves my possesion I have no control over its use and care.

I'm sorry, but a cam and lifter failure is not something I can control... All you can do is build it right, use good oil, break it in right, and ship it.

Now, lets see you "experts" post up some photos of your work.... I'm waiting..... I'm sure crickets will be chirping before you can show anything you've done even close to this caliber of quality.

Bullying people on the internet, trying to gang-up on others, trying to Crucify their reputation, or extort them with threats of posting on here...

These tactics just will not work on me... Go ahead and do your worst, but be prepared for the eventual backlash.

It really shows the level of Chracter these individuals truly have....

Take a note of it if you consider any dealings with these lowlifes in the future.

Click on the images for a better view.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No I don't use too much silicone on my engines either, fricken liar. Cool

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: t-5 Reply with quote

No one invited Mr. Tucker to chime in here,. He did help me dissasemble this motor and came to this forum on his own. Although he may not care to spell he knows how and is quite the accomplished/seasoned machinist/builder.This motor is . far and awayfrom a set of lifters and a cam JOE.All the shit that ran through this mill as the lifters disintegrated demands: new oil pump, new oil cooler, new pushrods, new cam and lifters, all new gaskets, bearings and seals(ones that do not leak ), possibly head work, as of now the crank is being checked out by DPR. Everyone who builds motors/cars houses now and again has a fuck up/failure with varying degrees of same. To be so arrogant and just denying any failure or that Tucker never saw this motor is bullshit. He saw it in the bus when we had carb/intake leak issues(no fault to you on the leak) valve adjustment issues and on and on.Yeah he is real acquainted with this motor. And he is not as you say a goofball /.flake, but he does not need me to say it I am sure he will be along here sooner or later. Put your ego aside Joe , it is biting you hard in your ass.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My work speaks for itself Gordon....

Yes you have a bunch of goofball friends, a bunch of know-nothings.

I did not F-up a single thing on this engine.

There have been many, many, many qualified engine people who have experienced cam and lifter issues.

And yes, you do go round up your goofy friends to tag-team me... Now go run and get Jake Raby to post on here like you have done previously.

Gordon, you are the dog shit that people try to avoid stepping in here on the samba.

We had this worked out via email...

You come on here and try to blind-side me with this B.S. and you won't even man up enough to inform me of it... Just like you did before.

You are a baby and a lowlife scum-wad.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:57 pm    Post subject: type 5 asshole Reply with quote

No one and I mean no one could get either Mr.Raby nor Tucker to post ANYTHING.They stepped up and spoke their mind as to what they saw and know to be fact. These two individuals are their own thinking kind of people, As you stand behind name calling and rants this is the last post from me on this matter. I will refrain from any more dialogue on this , I have presented the facts of a motor failure and never did attack your character.Call me all the names you want I am done.
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off:
Gordon never called me and no one told me about this thread other than Google Alerts.

All I have done is supplied Gordon with an engine that has met (and exceeded) his expectations. The engine that failed was (to my knowledge) bought after the Raby engine was built. I have never seen the failed engine and did not know it existed till these threads popped up.
I have not critiqued it and furthermore could care less if it even exists. I only care about what is created with my name on it(Lord knows I have enough to worry about with just those).

I have dealt with thousands of people and today I accept less than 1/3 of the jobs that come our way for turnkey engines. Today a vast majority of people have expectations that can't be met and certainly not exceeded. To date I have not had any issues with Gordon and that was considering a fairly large hurdle that we had to work through. I might change my mind about him tomorrow, but as of today he has created no challenges for me.

So, no use to mention me in any of this dialogue in the future. I will add that if my Engine Guardian system had been employed in the engine with the failed cam and lifters all the collateral damage from foreign object debris could have been avoided:-) Gordon you need to order one, or several...

All builders have issues from time to time.. The way the purchaser presents the issue has a lot to do with the way that I react to the situation, even a decade after the engine was built. Gordon thought he had an issue with the engine that I built and he handled the situation tactfully and respectfully so I just told him to ship it back... When I have an issue I want to see what the root of that issue is, whether it costs me shipping or an entire engine-I don't care.
One day something I build will grenade and the wrong purchaser will make it through my gauntlet to own it and we will have an issue... I'll deal with it tactfully, professionally, firmly and fairly. Nothing else can be done.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:47 am    Post subject: Type 5 Joe Anyone have his phone number? Reply with quote

I sent this guy some carbs and later a money order from Chase Bank.
He made me wait a month for it to clear and finally he emailed me and said it cleared and would ship and send tracking info when he got home.
Well I have sent about 6 emails over the last week and Nothing.
If any one knows him or has his number it would be apprecited
Thanks VWX
Tony Ryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Warning: Type5 Joe has not delivered Reply with quote

On June 20th I paid a lot of money to have Joe rebuild 2 Dellorto carbs
that I had previously send him for evaluation. He advised he was
currently experiencing a 1 week turn around. In spite of many e-mails
from me that he never answered. I did not receive the rebuilt carbs. On
August 10 he e-mailed that he had shipped them and they had come back to
him as "Undeliverable". I never received any delivery notices from the
Post Office. My Post Office has no record of them being shipped or
returned. They said a return for undeliverable is rare and almost always
because of a bad address. I asked him to send me proof (a copy of the
shipping information) and he did not. I asked him to ship them again and
gave him my address for the third or fourth time. On September 6 he
e-mailed that he would send them "early next week when I get home". This
is more than a month after he said he got them back. I asked again for
shipping information and have not gotten any reply, no shipping
information, and no carburetors. It has been 3 months since I paid him
and no results. I am out a lot of money. If you want work done use
someone else.
vwx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Type 5 joe has not delivered Reply with quote

Well it's looks like I am in the same boat.i got an email last week saying my carbs would ship.
I have not heard a word since. I think this guy should not be allowed to post on The Samba.
Ryan lets talk an file a joint Mail Fraud Investigation.
His communication is terrible and I am not sure if he even has a business.
I was charged sales tax..If he does not have a tax number he can be shut down for good.
Vwx
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a week since he visited the site and he hasn't responded to me either so I deactivated his ads for now.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Type 5 joe Reply with quote

He sent me ad email last Sunday and said he would ship and notify me early in the week.

No reply since then.

Thanks
bugnut68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bend.craigslist.org/pts/3289428974.html

His number is in his Craigslist ad.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bick,

Even though my ad states clearly that I only accept US Postal Money Orders and PayPal....

And even after several communications over your carbs.... That always end in me stating that I only accept US Postal Money Orders and PayPal....

You send me a Money Order that is not a US Postal Money Oder or PayPal payment.

I told you that your carbs will ship when I receive a clearance via my Bank account. I had also informed you that you sent a different form of payment will significantly delay shipment of your carbs.

I got burned on a fake Money Order back in 09' for $700.00..... It took the bank 40 days to withdraw $700.00 from my account without notifying me. This will not happen again....

If you cannot follow simple instructions, maybe you should repair your own stuff.

- And I never charged you a sales tax..... There is no sales tax in Oregon.

I told you that you will need to pay for PayPal fees (4%), if you choose to pay me this way.

Anyway, when I return I will make sure your payment is cleared through my account, and ship your stuff if it has.

There are two other customer's projects in my possession.... I will have these shipped ASAP.

I apologize to Tony, I completely forgot that I haven't re-shipped your carbs....

Sorry for the delay on my other two projects... Life has presented some challenges lately that have required me to travel to care of them.

I have been a Samba member for many, many years.... I have never burned anyone.... And I have done many projects for people, and sold 100's of parts.

It seems that the only feedback people want to leave is bad feedback.

I will get this stuff shipped ASAP.

Thanks, - Joe

vwx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Type 5 Joe Reply with quote

He Joe
May bank issued the money order and it was drawn out of my account. I told that my bank verified your bank was paid and you said it had cleared.
This is a bunch of crap. I have been told that you are back in town. So why don't you ship what you have been paid for.
Bic
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: