Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 5 Joe - [email protected]
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Viewing feedback for: Type 5 Joe
Email: [email protected]
Last Visited: January 05, 2020
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Type 5 Joe - [email protected] Reply with quote

Joe at accutech has sold me a few good parts for my type 2. Always accurate descriptions, and the prices were reasonable for parts in great shape. No B.S. Thanks Joe!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tattoo_5678
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject: Joe Timberman Reply with quote

Bought a Kingpin reamer from Joe. Great communication, shipped fast and it was a very smooth transaction!

Thanks Joe! Now I just might be able to get my King and Linkpins done on my 60 Euro.

JOE IS A HONEST AND EXCELLENT SELLER!!!!!

Thanks once again!
Glenn in North Carolina.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn,

I am surprised I don't have more feedback... I have done a bunch of engines, machine work, and Dellorto Carburetors for folks on the samba.

Not to mention a lot of parts bought / sold.....

Member since January of '03, over 900 posts in the technical forums.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:33 am    Post subject: type 5 joe Reply with quote

Joe has and did great work in the past.I recently had a motor built by him and getting the motor was nightmare from hell.What started as a 6 week project ended up a 6 month lesson in patience and frustration.. I shipped the old motor complete to Joe on Aug 31 2010, March 21st He finally ships the motor and only after the threat of legal and criminal charges. The motor was paid in full in December of 2010, and it was very late at that point. Almost all of the parts and pieces I shipped with the old motor so He did not have to spend too m uch time in sourcing parts.I even sent him the break in BraddPenn oil.I do not doubt the motor will be all He has said ,however there was no scence of priority or urgency AT ALL in His part to get this thing shipped.One personal issue after another was what I heard and HE "next Week" this thing for about4 months.So.. if you want a motor built by Joe you better have a concrete understanding with Him what and when you expect. That in my opinion is just piss poor business, .Oh yeah , He also would not on His life return a phone call nor recieve one from Me in about a 4 month period. When the motor gets here and if she runs strong and good I will definetly be back here to stand up and say so, but until then , this transaction was one of the most frustrating and un-professional I have ever expierenced and I deal with the general public. He knows how to build a good motor, but his business ethics and practices leave a whole lot to be desired.
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: motor Reply with quote

I recieved m y motor finally.It was packed quite well, very ingeneous as a matter of fact. Joe took an old bell housing, bolted it to the back of the motor and then bolted the bottom 2 bolts to a piece of angle iron which was secured to the bottom of the crate.Good job.The overall attention to detail and workmanship are very high.All of the spares were packed in seperate boxes as well as all literature to go with said parts. One glaring issue to fix however is the Berg breather .It hits the hex bar on the right port.One cann ot even get a hose on it, and the vc,s are not vented.So I have an expensive Berg breather that cannot work without some work on my part. I could either raise the hex bar and then have to sync the Dells in again, or I could raise the breather with a spacer by 1/2 or so, or one more option is remove the breather, cut off and plug the right side outlet and then braze on another in a location away from the hex bar. Anyway, I do feel this motor will run strong and long, I just wish Joe would have communicated better and this transaction would have been a good expierence for the both of us.I wil;l report back with how she runs.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well where do I begin.....

I was just made aware of this post by a friend.

Let me just say that there are many non truthful statements in this post made by Gordon.... (Capt Calzone).

1st of all.... This was never promised to be delivered back to him in 6 weeks, I had other projects ahead of his.
I did agree to stop what I was doing long enough to tear apart his engine and tell him what we needed when I could resume on his project.

His threats of legal and criminal charges are a result of him (Gordon) having selective memory and or, listening skills.... I chose at some point to not deal with him on the phone after that.
It was best to have everything recorded in email form, which I still have kept if needed.

I did have the engine done at some point.... It leaked some oil and needed to be partially re-sealed. I did after that have some personal business that could not wait, I told Gordon when to expect his engine.

At the end HE was supposed to make not SOME, or MOST of the freight shipping arrangements... BUT ALL OF THE SHIPPING ARRANGEMENTS.
He totally dropped the ball on this not ONCE but TWICE. Then proceeded to become angry at me for the delay in shipment.

This is when the threats started....

Lesson learned.... I will no longer deal with anyone long distance again on a turn-key engine for the foreseeable future.

I have never failed to deliver on ANYTHING promised to a customer.

People should expect a wait, if they are after quality. This is what I sell.

I have done probably close to a thousand deals through the Samba, and up until now I have had ZERO negative feedback.

- Gordon, you should consider coming back here and admitting that I never went for more than 24-48 hours getting back to via email, regardless of whether you phoned me or emailed me. There was continuous contact throughout this exchange.

I hope you like your engine, and you come back here and tell the truth.

You should, if you would hope to have any more support from me when you have more questions about your engine.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:23 am    Post subject: type 5 joe Reply with quote

Joe I have and will continue to tell the truth.I called you repeatedly and did not get any call back. In fact I gave up on the phone communication.I too have kept all of the e-mail exchanges. The motor is very nice although I am still working some bugs out not neceraily anything to reflect on your work.read my post again, I stated good work and poor customer relationship. You even said to me in a e-mail. " I did not call because I did not want to hear you bitch"This transaction took waaay too long, you yourself admitted it.I was very patient. tient.You satated in an e-mail 2 weeks before X-mas that you would ship immediatly when the ck cleared your bank.I sent a postal M.O and did not get my motor for another 3 months.In fact the only time we actually spoke was the day it shipped. And now for the shipping, I DID handle all the shipping arraingments, sent you e-mail as to where to take it etc.A person needs to call the terminal to see when they are open, that is just common sense.I agree with you that I too will never do a big transaction like this across the USA, next time It will be within driving distance so I can go and get my stuff. You built a fine motor, you had some personal issues that I was understanding about, but it took way too long withou.t the proper communication. Thats the truth and I am sticking by it. Nothing personal
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad you like your engine....

The remarks about threatening me with legal and criminal charges are a lie...

You did make them after being frustrated by completely dropping the ball twice when you should have made the shipping arrangements per our agreement.
Those threats had no affect on when or how you got your engine... Non at all.

Yes it did take longer than expected... But you got your engine as promised.

I have had several people contact me about this post.... This has cost me some business from at least two people... Possibly several others.

The bottom line is.... You like to tell the truth about some things, and you are a liar about others.

Either these lies come off here immediately, or I will be seeing my lawyer Monday morning. He has been watching this thread.

Delete your lies, or be prepared to defend yourself in court, and possibly compensate me for any damages and attorney fees.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: type 5 joe Reply with quote

Joe , who has the selective memory and poor communication skills? I had the shipping totally set up and sent you E_ MAIL after E_MAIL you did your usual : did not call and speak directly with me ,COMMUNICATION, and did not contact the shipping terminal to see when they are open and when you yourself could bring the motor. Again poor communication on your part.I cannot nor would ever tell someone what their scheduel has to be, you plan your day and do your thing. The terminal is not open just for you to show up whenever you feel like it.Every business has operating proceedure and for you to assume they would be open at the end of a day on a Friday , whithout you calling them is just more piss poor communication.I have the transcripts of the messages I left you , no lies here.You did not even acknowelge that you had all of the information I sent you over and over, including the phone #. So who dropped the ball here Joe?? Twice you claim , who is lieing now Joe??I I did everything but take the motor myself to the terminalf you had CALLED me prior to heading out to the shipping terminal the first time , we would not be here now pissing away. The legal and criminal charges I said are real, : You take someones money and do not deliver in a reasonable amount of time and that is stealing and a few outher charges. You were paid in full in December of 2010 and did not deliver until March, that is a long time to wait for a paid in full transaction, especially when you claimed that you would ship asap when the CK cleared. As for how the motor runs, there are issues tha.t need addressing. I spent all day yesterday with a good local tuner /builder working on it. We are still not there.Pm me if you wish to be civilized and responsible about your build.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon, you are a fucking liar, and dealing with your winy ass was the worst mistake anyone could make.

You tell me when and where to deliver your engine to the freight depot.... I do exactly that.
I show up and there is nobody there.
I have to leave town and you get pissed, threaten to "Call the police"

I followed your instructions exactly.... You told me when and where to take the engine. I did exactly that.

Your implications that I never communicated with your silly ass are simply a lie.

You are a liar.

I was sick of you calling me, anyone would be.

- But the point is, I communicated with you the whole time.

-And you calling "the police" had nothing to do with when you got your engine. I doubt you even called them...Just the words of a frustrated little boy who dropped his ball and didn't get his way.

Its true I cashed the check for the final payment... Then I realized it had a small oil leak. I informed you of this and it took me a while to get it resolved, Remember?

Your selective memory amazes me.... either selective memory, outright lies, or you have done way too much dope and suffer from stupor.... What is it?

You got your engine, and it ran well when it left here.... I set it up so all you had to do was install the exhaust, oil lines... add fuel and 12 volts power... start it up.

Instead you decided to screw around with it instead of starting immediately it like I recommended....

Now I see you have the fuel pump / insulator / rod I gave you so you could start it advertised for sale... Nice. Instead of using it for its intended purpose, you pull it off and try to sell it for 30.00.

I see you posting about "How much valve lash should I set the valves at", "on my new stroker engine"? I'm sure you and your "local builder / tuner" friend will do a wonderful job tuning that new engine.

The bottom line is....

I communicated throughout this whole transaction (through email).... You are a liar when you said I did not.

You never "called the police" as far as I know..... At least they never contacted me... Another lie.

I am completely guilty of being late on my delivery.

I am also completely guilty of doing business with an absolute liar and idiot.

For that I am truly sorry.

Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:35 pm    Post subject: type 5 joe Reply with quote

I am going to post this last bit. Mr Timbermann has elected to degrade this topic to a name calling and expletive filled rant. I will clarify a few things and then not bore anyone with this anymoreThe fuel pump: I am running an electric pump, so off came the stocker,rod and phenolic spacer it is my decision to sell them: The motor has not run well since it arrived, Joe suggested I dump the current dist(Idid) and I installed a rebuilt 019 (by Glenn) The racing -high idle went away.I had a needle flooding the drivers side, I dealt with it.The valve adjustment is due to the fac t that the valves are raising hell, so I need to see what is the problem.This motor would not be bolted in and ran. Thre are still issues, one particular strange noise coming out from the rear by the dist drive. The first issue was the clutch had the ring on it, no problem, I took it off. If as suggested I bolt the motor up and go I would be happily going down the road oil leak and all. This is not the case.I realize that some tuning is in order, Redmond Oregon is a different temp and sea level from Lower AlabamaThere are some issues and I will deal with them.However I stand by what I have stated, the shipping and all. Being called aliar and all the outher shit will not make it right, correct the problems or deal with the truth.Who is the whiney little bitch now Joe Confused:No I am not stupid or have consumed too much dope as suggested.I stated some facts of a transaction exactly as they happened.I was ignored as far a phone call .I did speak with the local authorities in Redmond and Dothan: There was no delivery urgency, it became a "next week " game for a few months, and yes I became very frustrated . I will deal with this motor I will never deal with T-5 Joe again.Joe can build an awesome engine, this particular one has some issues he dondt want to hear it or deal with it so draw your own conclusions. Over and out
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, suddenly your having problems?

O-K Gordon.

SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been very hesitant to enter this feedback, but I feel I must. I am not here to slander any names nor put down any one. Just state the facts I know, first the engine has taken over 8 months to get back into Gordan's hands. Way more than the agreed original time, Gordan often takes his family camping in his bus. The main reasons he chose Joe to build the engine was the time he promised to have the engine back to him. I do not know what he paid for the engine. That is none of my concern nor business, but I know Gordan is not one to cut corners and wants the best.
He would have gladly paid for the best parts and service. Now the engine is here and it is having troubles, these troubles are things that should have been taken care of before it left the builder. Therefore I understand Gordan's concerns, the people that he has dealt with in the past were great to return his call and let him know either the status of the engine. Not to mention answer any questions he had. So he was comparing to previous experiences.
As stated I did not post here to slander anyone just to post the facts of the transaction as I saw them. As far as I can tell so far the engine itself is nice, and most of the work is top notch. There is just some things that should have been taken care of before it was shipped.
Romans 6:13
WTB 67 beetle rear seat belts.
59 Euro ragtop build with my dad
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=391061
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilleT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:06 am    Post subject: Perfect Transaction Reply with quote

Shipped fast, packaged well, part was better than expected all at a reasonable price. Bottom line outstanding value someone I would buy from in the future. Thanks
Cptn. Calzone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: accutech Reply with quote

Well here I am again and yes it will probably be a shitstorm.the stroker Joe built for me lasted all of about 800 miles, suffered a catastrophic valve train failure.Yes I have been in touch with him , and he did offer to build the pile of shrapnel back to life.i declined due to the past history of schedueling and shipping, but suggested he perhaps put a dollar amount on the time it would take him and send me a check for it.He declined and stated something to the effect that these motors are risky and no warranty is expressed or implied.I do realize there is no warranty 100% HOWEVER a new motor should be able to go longer than 800 or so miles, and they were in no way trouble free miles. The parts I put in this motor were very good, no junk was used. I was constantly trying to jet, time (the jetting delivered was way to lean) adjust and just get my motor to run good.When the failure happened it was on a 75 deg.day, traveling at 65 mph with good oil temp head temp and oil pressure. I t was not like I ws doing a burnout on a 100+ day I broke in the motor very carefully, changing the oil@ 100 miled and adjusting the valves. Nothing but Bradd Penn oil in the motor and all tin in placeThe Valve train in my opinion (and outhers) was never set up correctly.The valves were so noisy, even after adjustment.I had Ac net aluminum pushrods, so they should have been quiet. As I stated before , the fit and outward finish of the motor was . . was outstanding, however the performance was so below my expectations and then to fail, just not acceptable
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gordon,

I am sorry you had bad luck with the engine....

You started out saying it ran great, no complaint of any valvetrain noise at all... You said it had a small oil leak which I could not detect prior to shipping the engine.

You had a cam lifter falure... The other issues with any valvetrain noise were obviously a result of the cam lifter wearing out.

I cannot bellieve you are back on here wining some more.... I have exchanged many emails with you over this and I have offered you more than you deserve as far as taking care of you on this matter.

The engine needs to be re-assembled with a new set of cam and lifers... Maybe a few other small parts.

Calling it schrapnel is a complete mis-reprentation on your part, keeping with your style of behavior.

You also forgot to mention that you drove the engine for many miles AFTER you discovered it had problems.... You are lucky you did not comepletely blow it to pieces after this sort of abuse.

Good Luck to you.... I retract my offer to help you any further.

SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Few picture from above stated engine, there was for sure something not setup correctly in valve train. The rest of the engine seems ok, except from damages from the lifter shrapnel.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=493553&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
65 dlx Slow build
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no issues with the valvetrain,...If you think there were, be specific.

The lifters failed and that caused a chain reaction, especially after being driven AFTER the problem was detected... In a heavy camper bus.

I have been building VW aircooled engines and doing my own machine work on these for 30 years.... This is the 1st problem I have had with an engine in over ten years.

I have used the Bugpack one piece racing lifters in the last ten or so engines I have built.... No problems.

I am sorry there were problems this time. I can do nothing about it.

- Joe

SkooobaSteve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone makes mistakes I don't care if you have been building them since you were twelve. I'm not bashing you on all the other engines you have built I have no doubt at all you can build a very nice engine. This on the other hand was not one of them, the valve noise was brought to your attention by Gordan the owner. He was told it was a larger engine with a high lift cam and the noise was to be expected.
I am not trying to prolong this, Gordan has stated that after the time it took to get the engine in the first place. Not to mention the fact it would not even idle when received, he would rather take it to someone else to work on. The comparable engine from Jake Raby he has now ran very well on crank up, and did not make any noise.
65 dlx Slow build
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never told him that more valvetrain noise was to be expected.... The thing has a relatively small, mild cam compared to many of the engines I have built. It idled and ran smooth when I shipped it, and the valvetrain was quieter than a stocker.

I never told him that, but I have no doubt he told you I said that....

All a person has to do is look at the posts Gordon made when he received the engine on his profile... I have saved all the email exchanges also.... He said he had some tuning problems at first... Then it ran "great"... Then his bearing failed with his fan belt system..... Then no problems... Then this.

The satement about how long I have been doing this was to shed light on the fact that I do know how to set up the valvetrain....

Like I said, state specific problems... If you observe no problems with somthing I set up, then state that.

The cam and lifters failed... It does not mean I am unqualified or a bad person... It does not mean you or Gordon are either.

This shit just happens.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: